ADVERTISEMENT

Peterson: ESPN woes should worry Iowa, Iowa State

You know, I ignore the ISU idiot with a kid pic avatar, so I'm not entirely sure what's been said already... but isn't it possible that there are 4 super conferences for football alone, given that's the best way to get to your 8 playoff teams? For basketball, it is a completely different setup, so perhaps the current conferences can continue to exist in that regard. Now, I don't think Iowa would have to worry either way for football or basketball as I think Iowa is a top 64 team in both. But I'm just saying, it is entirely possible there are more "we're part of the B12 for basketball and we're independent for football" type of things.

Count me in as one that thinks the end game to all of this will be the blue bloods forming their own league ( or "super conference", outside of the NCAA, and keeping all of the money. If money is driving realignment, and I believe it is, that is what will eventually happen IMO.

Truth be told, its not exactly a high bar. Five wins would surprise a lot of people. So in that sense, you'll be right.
5 wins would be an improvement, for sure..
but you look at last year... they had 2 Big12 wins... 3 of their loses were by one score.
they were one score away from being 5-4 in the Big12...
now....
if they improve upon a 5-4 season... say 6-3 or 7-2 in the Big12..... they might be contenders.... and lets face it.. the Big12 is the weakest of the Power5.
I'm hoping for a successful Iowa State season...

I think we all agree that a strong Iowa State team makes Iowa look even stronger.

but you look at last year... they had 2 Big12 wins... 3 of their loses were by one score.
now....
if they improve upon a 5-4 season... say 6-3 or 7-2 in the Big12..... they might be contenders.... and lets face it.. the Big12 is the weakest of the Power5.

I think we all agree that a strong Iowa State team makes Iowa look even stronger.
The metric folks certainly don't agree with you.

now....

We have no idea. There is no point of reference.

I hope you're not expecting 6-3 or 7-2 in the conference. I think you'll be disappointed. At Oklahoma, at Kansas St., at Baylor, Texas @ WV, @ Texas Tech. I know Jesus turned water into wine so anythings possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: thirteenandtwo
Texas won't ever leave the Big 12. They are in the cat bird seat of that conference. A position that they will not get by joining another conference. Same with UNC-CHeat. Those 2 conferences are dominated by 1 school. It's a race to see which one of them implode because their other conf members don't like the inequality. It appears that the Big 12 is in the lead for implosion.
They may not leave the big 12, but it might leave them. If a push does come for four 16 team conf. and Oklahoma, and OSU, leave there will be nothing relevant left for them to cling too. It was just a couple of years ago that the OK schools were being courted mildly by the Pac 12. If that were to happen, Texas would be left to look for a new seat, or go indy like Notre Dame. Not sure that will work either given the college football landscape today.

They may not leave the big 12, but it might leave them. If a push does come for four 16 team conf. and Oklahoma, and OSU, leave there will be nothing relevant left for them to cling too. It was just a couple of years ago that the OK schools were being courted mildly by the Pac 12. If that were to happen, Texas would be left to look for a new seat, or go indy like Notre Dame. Not sure that will work either given the college football landscape today.

Texas would NEVER leave the Big 12? Let's say the BIG makes a push for Texas and Oklahoma, you still gonna make that statement? Texas would almost have to follow Oklahoma.

Iowa is such a powerhouse in football. They play in the B10 West with such high level competition, that the sparkling record achieved puts them in a bowl game with a like record team where they......get blown out 5 years running. Schedule always matters doesn't it Mr. Cowherd? The hawks actually get OSU for the 1st time in like 8 years? Which state of Iowa team is being relegated to irrelevancy?
Please enlighten us on the major bowl victories of the dreaded cyclones. What would you say is ISU's biggest signature bowl win? Have they built the new trophy case for all their hardware yet?
When you want a nice day trip sometime, drive down to Iowa City, and visit the new Facility there. You'll enjoy the new trophy case with the spoils of victory from Rose Bowls, Orange Bowls, Outback Bowls, the Capitol One Bowl, Holiday Bowls, Alamo Bowls. Maybe you'll enjoy the Trophys for numerous Outland Trophy winners, or the Heisman, Groza, Mackey, Guy, Davey Obrein, or the Maxwell. Have lunch in the All American room, and peruse the portraits of dozens of 1st team All Americans. Perhaps you'll enjoy the case that houses the traveling trophys. There you'll find Floyd of Rosedale, The Hero's trophy, and yes even the Cyhawk. You know that one right?

Texas would NEVER leave the Big 12? Let's say the BIG makes a push for Texas and Oklahoma, you still gonna make that statement? Texas would almost have to follow Oklahoma.
I'm not the one who said that, it was Scout. I concur, that if the dominoes start falling Texas will have to do something. They have chirped about going indy, but don't think that would work out well either.

Correct and other programs have already left the Big 12 because of Texas.

A lot of the ideas thrown around would only happen if schools basically ignore the rest of their sports.

Texas has a world class athletic department, I doubt they'd go independent and screw the other 90% of their sports teams. Their AD famously demurred against the idea of a B1G invitation by saying "we aren't going to bus our softball team around the Midwest". Texas' flirtation with the P16 was greatly impacted by the idea of their minor sports having late night games on the West coast. And now all their minor sports would have to fly to nearly every conference game, which would send their expenses sky rocketing.

The Texas 10 is the ideal conference for Texas. They are the big boy, and their smaller sports mostly travel within the state, or slightly North of the state. Texas to P16 or B1G or ACC is a nightmare for their non-revenue sports.

Similarly, the blue bloods creating a mini-NFL and leaving the NCAA only works if they each decide to dump 20+ athletic teams. Seems unlikely.

Didn't the Big 12 fail to extend its GoR? That's the only thing holding it together and that the power players intentionally took extending the GoR off the table is pretty telling, if that's what happened. If that's the case, I'd be very worried if I were ISU.

Texas won't leave the Big 12 until and unless the Big 12 is no longer viable. And I have no idea where they would go because the BIG, SEC and the Pac12 won't give them preferential treatment as a condition of membership.

Reactions: kceasthawk
A lot of the ideas thrown around would only happen if schools basically ignore the rest of their sports.

Texas has a world class athletic department, I doubt they'd go independent and screw the other 90% of their sports teams. Their AD famously demurred against the idea of a B1G invitation by saying "we aren't going to bus our softball team around the Midwest". Texas' flirtation with the P16 was greatly impacted by the idea of their minor sports having late night games on the West coast. And now all their minor sports would have to fly to nearly every conference game, which would send their expenses sky rocketing.

The Texas 10 is the ideal conference for Texas. They are the big boy, and their smaller sports mostly travel within the state, or slightly North of the state. Texas to P16 or B1G or ACC is a nightmare for their non-revenue sports.

Similarly, the blue bloods creating a mini-NFL and leaving the NCAA only works if they each decide to dump 20+ athletic teams. Seems unlikely.
I'd agree with everything you said ichawk24, IF the decision is left up to Texas. They are indeed in the cat bird seat now. My statement was that they may not be in that position of power if the big 12 gets ransacked. They could end up scrambling for the best case scenario, and wouldn't that be fun to watch.

The Big 12 will be viable until they aren't getting the money other conferences are getting. That will likely be happening within the next 6 years. Hopefully ISU has a seat at the table after the next round of musical chairs.

Texas won't leave the Big 12 until and unless the Big 12 is no longer viable. And I have no idea where they would go because the BIG, SEC and the Pac12 won't give them preferential treatment as a condition of membership.

My point, if Oklahoma were to bolt, it would make the Big 12 no longer viable for Texas. This is why I think Oklahoma is holding all the cards in this. Texas desperately needs Oklahoma. Oklahoma bolts, Texas is the only top dog in a pillow fight conference. Texas knows they won't get preferential treatment in any other conference but would still have to leave.

My statements about Texas and non-revenue sports also apply to OU, which is the only other domino that can really force Texas' hand. OU/OkSU had their PAC flirtation, but I don't see that happening again. I could see OU talking with SEC, but not sure they want to pull that trigger, where they go from top 2 football in the conference to somewhat of a mid-level team in the SEC.

OU to the B1G is possible, but doubtful. They lag the B1G by a good distance in research and general academic ranking.

All told, it looks like UT and OU's best option is to stay in the Texas 10.

My statements about Texas and non-revenue sports also apply to OU, which is the only other domino that can really force Texas' hand. OU/OkSU had their PAC flirtation, but I don't see that happening again. I could see OU talking with SEC, but not sure they want to pull that trigger, where they go from top 2 football in the conference to somewhat of a mid-level team in the SEC.

OU to the B1G is possible, but doubtful. They lag the B1G by a good distance in research and general academic ranking.

All told, it looks like UT and OU's best option is to stay in the Texas 10.
True enough, but that didn't stop Delaney from welcoming Nebraska....

You are correct about research $$$ being a large factor. The research $$$ dwarf athletic revenues, and hopefully these realignment decisions are driven at the prez. Level. This of course would make Iowa and ISU safe in any discussion. If market is a driving force, then both have risk.

Are you really this stupid? Iowa is going absolutely no where regardless who the Big Ten adds. What is so hard for you to understand about this? This is just an insecure fan base that is desperately cling to the notion that some how ISU is in the same boat as Iowa. They are not. Iowa is firmly entrenched in the Big Ten and that is not changing no matter how much your little heart hopes for. Iowa State's existence in a major conference is tenuous at best.

You are under the assumption (I have no idea why) that the Big Ten will move schools out an bring in new schools. That is just batshit crazy at worst, wishful thinking at best.

As was said five years ago, the Big Ten will eventually be a 16 team conference. You can rest assured those two teams won't be a BYU, Cincinnati, UConn, Memphis, UCF that the Big 12 has looked at. This is the Big Ten, they will go after a Texas or Oklahoma, maybe both. I could see Texas for their football viewership and also adding Kansas mainly for basketball. Either way the Big 12, as a major football conference, days are numbered.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScoutRefugee
Why couldn't ND and Texas Go / stay independent if say they came up with an 8, 16 or 32 team playoff?

They will not go to a conference that has the bulk of the membership in the North.....ever.

Why couldn't ND and Texas Go / stay independent if say they came up with an 8, 16 or 32 team playoff?

At present, I'm sure they could. I'm not sure that's a solid plan if the Big and SEC goes the super conference route. They already have these special little exemptions for Notre Dame but I'm sure how sustainable they are going to be.

Are you really this stupid? Iowa is going absolutely no where regardless who the Big Ten adds. What is so hard for you to understand about this? This is just an insecure fan base that is desperately cling to the notion that some how ISU is in the same boat as Iowa. They are not. Iowa is firmly entrenched in the Big Ten and that is not changing no matter how much your little heart hopes for. Iowa State's existence in a major conference is tenuous at best.

You are under the assumption (I have no idea why) that the Big Ten will move schools out an bring in new schools. That is just batshit crazy at worst, wishful thinking at best.

As was said five years ago, the Big Ten will eventually be a 16 team conference. You can rest assured those two teams won't be a BYU, Cincinnati, UConn, Memphis, UCF that the Big 12 has looked at. This is the Big Ten, they will go after a Texas or Oklahoma, maybe both. I could see Texas for their football viewership and also adding Kansas mainly for basketball. Either way the Big 12, as a major football conference, days are numbered.
Blah...Blah...Blah....the world is flat and Iowa is a large market team

Because they have to play someone. Notre Dames been able to get away with it so far because of historical rivalries. It will increasing hard for another major independent to obtain a relevant schedule of major D1 teams. See the ongoing everyone needs home games on their non con schedule argument.

You guys don't seem to get it. Iowa has the same limitations as ISU. They are rustbelt schools in a small market with no metro areas to draw from. On the flip side, both are AAU and highly respected in their areas of expertise. In the eyes of athletic power brokers, both are similar in appeal.

No, they aren't. Not even close.

They will not go to a conference that has the bulk of the membership in the North.....ever.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Bottom line, if the Big Ten wants a team outside of Notre Dame, the Big Ten will get that team. But losing Texas is not what's going to end the Big 12. It seems Oklahoma and Oklahoma St are some kind of a package deal. Big Ten ends the Big 12 by adding Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. Bam!

Iowa is a have compared to UNI, but not ISU. Which school has increasing attendance in football? Can you imagine what will happen when ISU starts fielding a consistent winner? Add-in the fact that ISU enrollment is sky rocketing and carries the State of Iowa student population, and you see a North endzone expansion with very high attendance. I know that bothers some here, but ISU has excellent attendance for not winning much. This is going to be a fun ride.

Same story that has been told by isu fans since before Jack Trice was built. In the 70's it was wait until isu has a real stadium. Guess what it is 40 years later and we are still waiting.

This had to be what you meant to say...
You do realize Iowa is the 22nd richest football program in the country, right? Of course you don't.
And that is relevant How? Nobody cares because we are still talking about small market. There was talk on Sirius about Netflix, Hulu, etc. Making a play for a conference of 30 blue bloods for content, and it was bad news for both Iowa and ISU. The state of Iowa and alums in other states are not enough for to help either program. There just isn't enough interest in either regardless of the standard denials from the fake i.d. fan base.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT