ADVERTISEMENT

Peterson: ESPN woes should worry Iowa, Iowa State

Certainly possible. Would be a real bummer for ISU and I hope something else happens. 2023 is a long way away though and just not worth worrying about at this time.

Certainly possible. Would be a real bummer for ISU and I hope something else happens. 2023 is a long way away though and just not worth worrying about at this time.

It is quite a ways off. I'm not sure that an Oklahoma or Texas or whomever will worry much about it if they wanted to cut a deal with a new conference. If there is any qualms over it, I'm sure the BIG would pony up the dough.

I personally believe Texas does not want to leave the Big 12 at this point. They run the conference and don't have to travel and have their own network. However, the Big 12 is a dumpster fire and Oklahoma wants out. When Okie leaves it is all over. Okie St will follow and the house of cards falls. Texas can't keep the conference afloat by itself. Be like if ND were to join the MAC, does not make it a Power 5 conference. Look at that conference. TCU may be Ok but trending down and same with WVU who is geographically challenged, Baylor will be in free fall, K St without Snyder, Texas Tech, Kansas, and ISU?! That conference is below the MAC and MWC which is where ISU will be lucky to land.

I personally believe Texas does not want to leave the Big 12 at this point. They run the conference and don't have to travel and have their own network. However, the Big 12 is a dumpster fire and Oklahoma wants out. When Okie leaves it is all over. Okie St will follow and the house of cards falls. Texas can't keep the conference afloat by itself. Be like if ND were to join the MAC, does not make it a Power 5 conference. Look at that conference. TCU may be Ok but trending down and same with WVU who is geographically challenged, Baylor will be in free fall, K St without Snyder, Texas Tech, Kansas, and ISU?! That conference is below the MAC and MWC which is where ISU will be lucky to land.
The interesting part when the Big 12 implodes is will the B1G stick to its guns and expand with their traditional factors (Virginia/UNC/GaTech) or will they try to go with the home run adds with the most fans/exposure (Texas/OU)?

The interesting part when the Big 12 implodes is will the B1G stick to its guns and expand with their traditional factors (Virginia/UNC/GaTech) or will they try to go with the home run adds with the most fans/exposure (Texas/OU)?

I don't think Oklahoma has the academic chops to be added to the Big Ten. Missouri would have but that ship sailed when they joined the SEC, and I don't see any realistic possibility of the Tigers leaving that league.

What's up - great question. Now, Texas fits the model but Okie does not. I have always said, which will never happen, is Texas and ND to Big 10 and close up shop then. OKIE and Okie St to the PAC 10 or SEC. Okie still plays Texas every year OOC and ND plays USC OOC. Those are the main rivals for both schools. If that happens, besides KU basketball, there is not another marketable program in that entire Big 12 conference. I mean seriously, remove Texas, Okie and Okie St and KU because of basketball there is not only zero left athletically but also academically and not any TV screens or fan recognition. This is what ISU idiots don't get. The Big 10 is the king and Iowa is firmly entrenched. Where the hell would OSU or Michigan go? They can't go anywhere to make more money. Michigan is tied to MSU and OSU, plus you have national brand names with PSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota and huge TV markets with Maryland and Rutgers and a top private school in Northwestern who goes to bowl games each year and made the NCAA tourney. I could go on and on like Indy and Purdue basketball tradition, etc. but point made.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
We are talking about individual schools. There may be no conference protection for anyone in the next big realignment. Iowa will have to stand on market opportunity, and it has none.
You might have a point if the next re-alignment is going to be a complete do-over for all teams and conferences. I think the chances of that are extremely small. If the current conferences (except the Big12) continue to exist, your argument falls apart. The Pac12 is not going to kick Wash State out of the conference, the SEC is not going to force Vandy out, and the BIG will keep Iowa.

You might have a point if the next re-alignment is going to be a complete do-over for all teams and conferences. I think the chances of that are extremely small. If the current conferences (except the Big12) continue to exist, your argument falls apart. The Pac12 is not going to kick Wash State out of the conference, the SEC is not going to force Vandy out, and the BIG will keep Iowa.
No he doesn't have a point. He's an idiot.

I live in the Atlanta area, and about a year ago the topic of re-alignment came up on local sports radio. The 2 radio guys decided to come up with their list of 64 teams for 4 super conferences. Admittedly, they debated Iowa for a little while, but the Hawks made the final list fairly safely. When it came to ISU, both radio guys immediately said "not a chance", followed by some laughter. The reason for the laughter? One of the 2 radio guys was former ISU QB David Archer. Archer didn't have enough pride to even remotely promote his alma mater.

Big 10 network does well because it is on basic cable. If it was on a pay tier it would not do nearly as well.

Cord cutters hurt BTN also.

Cable networks fight like hell to stay on basic packages because they know that is where the money is at. Very few people spend for the extras.

Big 10 network does well because it is on basic cable. If it was on a pay tier it would not do nearly as well.

Cord cutters hurt BTN also.

Cable networks fight like hell to stay on basic packages because they know that is where the money is at. Very few people spend for the extras.

That is true and cord-cutting and the shrinking of ESPN hurts everyone. That said, the Big Ten is in a much better position because of the BTN to handle the future. Even as basic cable subscribers continue to drop, the BTN can more easily make money off of a purely digital play. They don't have the middleman of a ESPN to take its cut. I would pay $10 per month for a digital BTN subscription that gave me all content that is currently on the BTN if the basic cable option went away. My guess is you could find 5M households in the Big 10 footprint that would do the same. That is rather conservative I think. That would be $50M per month, or $600 million per year. That works out to $42.8M per team. That is before expenses of course, but also before advertising revenues and the $5M households in the Big 10 footprint who might sign up is very conservative. Current estimates have the BTN in 90M households in America, so if they switched to a digital model the likely subscribers would be much higher than 5 million.

That still wouldn't apply! Keep trying though.....

Verge
664a3c99d50d6ee758b0724cfe715304_dieselops-70-i-dont-think-that-memes-what-you-think-it-memes_638-359.jpeg

Yanda was ranked the #1 guard in the NFL in '14, '15, and '16. Two time first team All Pro, three time second team All Pro. KO is off to a nice start, let's see if he can keep it up. Good to see ISU finally lands someone in the league who's done something. Storm's brewing.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Lack of Fire - please go back to CF. I used to want to argue until it got utterly ridiculous and then I also noticed that not a single Clone supported a thing you said. That is seriously almost impossible. You realize Clones are disowning you and you have a douche picture of your wannabe 1989 son? How sad is your life? Really buddy.

Yanda was ranked the #1 guard in the NFL in '14, '15, and '16. Two time first team All Pro, three time second team All Pro. KO is off to a nice start, let's see if he can keep it up. Good to see ISU finally lands someone in the league who's done something. Storm's brewing.
Osemele is so dominant at his position, that he has hof talent if he stays healthy

There is a grant of rights until 2023. Even if everybody leaves, they'll still have the TV money until then.

It's already been decided, OU is coming g to the BIG. Right now they are just trying to convince UT to come along to preserve the RRR Game. If UT balks then KU is ready to go.

You need to read some of the stuff that has been coming out of the Oklahoma papers in the past week. They're doing realignment conference talk out of nowhere. Just prepping the Sooner faithful for what is going to happen. Academically they've already been cleared and accepted by the BIG.

Do a little research, it's all out there. It's the smart move for OU and the BIG.

I doubt UT comes along. It will be KU.

Yeah 2023 really not that far off. Big 12 schools could've extended the GoR but UT and OU said no. They could realistically cut themselves loose a few years early, tie it up in the courts, let their new conference give them financial cover. If I were an ISU fan, the fact that OU and UT said 'pass' on extending the GoR would have me hustling to buy ISU gear with that P5 logo on it while I can.

Yeah 2023 really not that far off. Big 12 schools could've extended the GoR but UT and OU said no. They could realistically cut themselves loose a few years early, tie it up in the courts, let their new conference give them financial cover. If I were an ISU fan, the fact that OU and UT said 'pass' on extending the GoR would have me hustling to buy ISU gear with that P5 logo on it while I can.

2023 is 6 years away. The only thing I worry about that's 6 years away is my career and my kids.

2023 is 6 years away. The only thing I worry about that's 6 years away is my career and my kids.

A reasonable strategy, something we agree on Bryce.

But it'll be before 2023. Teams schedule several years ahead. Once the cost of bailing early is low enough to swallow...it'll happen. Much like competing companies don't wait for a patent to expire, they jump in a little early knowing that the cost/benefit is worth it. The remaining teams won't put up much of a fight, or they'll just get a cash payout of some sort to go away. Texas and Oklahoma can afford it.

The good news is, Campbell has had some success in the MAC. So ISU will be in good shape for the transition.

I live in the Atlanta area, and about a year ago the topic of re-alignment came up on local sports radio. The 2 radio guys decided to come up with their list of 64 teams for 4 super conferences. Admittedly, they debated Iowa for a little while, but the Hawks made the final list fairly safely. When it came to ISU, both radio guys immediately said "not a chance", followed by some laughter. The reason for the laughter? One of the 2 radio guys was former ISU QB David Archer. Archer didn't have enough pride to even remotely promote his alma mater.
:eek:

Well Boren from Okie didn't exactly give a vote of confidence to the future of the Big 12. This conference may implode sooner as opposed to later. Bye bye ISU. Even objective Clowns are hoping for the AAC (not ACC obviously) or the MAC as a landing spot. I guess good reason why we only extended the stupid ISU contract for football until the rights contract is done. Cause we won't play another non-Power 5 team OOC which ISU will surely be. Like somebody said, at least Campbell is used to playing in the MAC.

Good. Talking about the matchup instead of doom and gloom that is facing both Iowa and ISU

Iowa will not win in Ames this year, btw. You don't have a competent QB yet.
LOL - Iowa has several competent QBs and to beat weak teams like ISwho all the Hawks have to do is hand off to Wadley and let the defense shut down the clowns.

LOL - Iowa has several competent QBs and to beat weak teams like ISwho all the Hawks have to do is hand off to Wadley and let the defense shut down the clowns.
I have heard that many times before and low and behold, KF has lost half of them...LOL!

I have heard that many times before and low and behold, KF has lost half of them...LOL!
LOL - Ferentz's first few years had to pick up the pieces of Fry's weakened roster, so not really an objective comparison of overall series. Looking at #'s more recently, Iowa has been dominant and I anticipate that continuing.

LOL - Ferentz's first few years had to pick up the pieces of Fry's weakened roster, so not really an objective comparison of overall series. Looking at #'s more recently, Iowa has been dominant and I anticipate that continuing.
Just looked it up, Iowa has won 9 out of last 14 and 6 out of last 9 games vs. isu. After this year, it will be 10 out of last 15 games, and 7 out of last 10.

LOL! So the first few years don't count. Heck, Chizik beat Iowa with 5 fgs.

ADVERTISEMENT