ADVERTISEMENT

Petras coach????????

Sad Happy Hour GIF

Maybe there's news out there, but my take on Petras' announcement was that he was coming back to support McNamara. Not sure what that would look like, but I can see them breaking down film together ... stuff like that. But coaching? That's not what it sounds like. Honestly, I'd be surprised if he was ahead of Labas on the depth chart (IE, I can't see Labas on the scout team again. That'd be a serious mistake IMO). It wouldn't surprise me if Petras sees a future in coaching and is trying to take a first step in that direction.

Maybe there's news out there, but my take on Petras' announcement was that he was coming back to support McNamara. Not sure what that would look like, but I can see them breaking down film together ... stuff like that. But coaching? That's not what it sounds like. Honestly, I'd be surprised if he was ahead of Labas on the depth chart (IE, I can't see Labas on the scout team again. That'd be a serious mistake IMO). It wouldn't surprise me if Petras sees a future in coaching and is trying to take a first step in that direction.
We don’t need that.

Petras was so bad at reading defenses, feeling pressure, knowing when it’s appropriate to tuck-and-run etc. etc.

Based on his play, Spencer wouldn’t be any good / helpful “breaking down film” with Cade.

We don’t need that.

SPetras was so bad at reading defenses, feeling pressure, knowing when it’s appropriate to tuck-and-run etc. etc.

Based on his play, Spencer wouldn’t be any good / helpful “breaking down film” with Cade.
I think Spencer would be a good coach. He definitely knows how to talk the position.

He knows defenses, reads, etc. He just didn't have the ability to process all of that quickly on the field against D1 athletes due to athletic limitations.

I think Spencer would be a good coach. He definitely knows how to talk the position.

He knows defenses, reads, etc. He just didn't have the ability to process all of that quickly on the field against D1 athletes due to athletic limitations.
Some truth to that. He could have some value. Kudos to him to caring enough about the program to stay on.

Reactions: Sjf6 and Bishop1971
I read someone saying on Twitter that Petras was coming back this spring to rehab his shoulder and would help McNamara and the team if needed. I read he said he wants to coach, but it did not say he wants to coach at Iowa. However, I could see him being a grad assistant, which at least for me is far preferable then him being on the roster as an active QB. He seems pretty smart, and to be honest he does not have physical talent to be a good coach. LOL

BF and SP are going to be co-OC, co-QB coach, co-WR coach, co-TE coach and co-RB coach. We’ll keep who we have at OL coach, though, since he’s doing an awesome job, you know, for stability.

I just don’t see the upside for Iowa/team here - no pun/joke intended. Petras proved himself resilient and rightfully was a sympathetic figure toward the end. This is an opportunity for him to get a start into coaching but a real possibility as a distraction, if not downright detriment, to offensive progress. Here’s why I say that:

It’s not like we have zero experience in the QB room now. Rather, we have an incoming QB with plenty of moxie and intelligence - and backups that will be learning from Cade (not to mention Labas will have plenty of opportunity to take his own steps forward now too). It’s not like Petras is a Drew Tate presence…. If anything I could see Petras holding back the development - his decision making improved zero during his time here, so what makes the staff think he will help others develop better?

Good kid - fantastic teammate - but unless his focus is 100% only on helping the incoming freshman learn the playbook (and maybe that’s a good idea), it’s time to move on here and let the next regime (McNamara and Labas) have a clean start and lead this team.

Reactions: coorsoriginal02
I just don’t see the upside for Iowa/team here - no pun/joke intended. Petras proved himself resilient and rightfully was a sympathetic figure toward the end. This is an opportunity for him to get a start into coaching but a real possibility as a distraction, if not downright detriment, to offensive progress. Here’s why I say that:

It’s not like we have zero experience in the QB room now. Rather, we have an incoming QB with plenty of moxie and intelligence - and backups that will be learning from Cade (not to mention Labas will have plenty of opportunity to take his own steps forward now too). It’s not like Petras is a Drew Tate presence…. If anything I could see Petras holding back the development - his decision making improved zero during his time here, so what makes the staff think he will help others develop better?

Good kid - fantastic teammate - but unless his focus is 100% only on helping the incoming freshman learn the playbook (and maybe that’s a good idea), it’s time to move on here and let the next regime (McNamara and Labas) have a clean start and lead this team.
If SP is a grad assistant, it's light years from being any kind of QB Coach.

My neighbor's grandson has been on the Kentucky "staff" for his first two years out of high school! I don't know if he is a volunteer or gets some sort of stipend. He was a high school quarterback.

I'm not entirely sure what all he does, but some of it is "breaking down film" and "analytics" - which are likely terms for helping to put together various film packages for study and putting together statistics.

For example, a film of all the red zone plays and the success/failure rate of plays. Or every third down play. That doesn't mean he spent hours with Will Levis one-on-one.

My point is that there are thousands of hours behind the scenes helping the team.

SP is going to be a very successful person in whatever path he chooses to pursue in life.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
So, SP is a "poor decision maker"? How the heck do we know?

The only "decisions" we see are the bad one's. And are those mental or physical mistakes? And do we even notice the good decisions? Maybe he made great decisions and they didn't work out because the his own physical limitations and that of the offense around him. Perhaps he often made exactly the right decision and then 4 guys buried him.

Another skill that is often assumed from watching someone play a sport - the ability to teach. Yeah, BJ Armstrong would make a great coach. SP would be a poor coach. Teaching and playing are two entirely different skills.

I've seen plenty of brilliant people in my life that couldn't possibly teach someone because they are lousy communicators.

Reactions: BUCKSNDUCKS
ADVERTISEMENT