ADVERTISEMENT

Petras Friday

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
I don't know if Spencer is going through senior day activities or not, but if he does, I hope he gets a standing ovation. I have been one that has been super critical of his play through his career at Iowa but that dude has my respect. Has always been a great teammate, never called out coaches or players, and always took the tough questions in the media. Just my 2 cents.

my hope is that Spencer Petras returns next season.. he's been through a lot... getting boo'ed on opening day before the game had to have been tough on him.
its hard to keep confidence and endure a thing like that.. but he's been a champion through and through.
Other than taking pleasure in other fans disgust of him coming back, what is it you are looking at as a reason for excitement for him returning?

3 Big Ten West Division Championships in a row..
And a 2nd Big Ten Championship Game Victory.
I think I understand what you are saying. The possibility of him being a 3 time west champ and 2 time b10 champ excites you......

Those are team awards, got anything specific to him?

The guy deserves some serious credit for not getting caught in the drama and should be applauded on senior day.

I think even the most cynical and disenchanted Iowa fans who are in attendance would have the decency to give SP proper applause and recognition on Senior Day. I must admit, though - it sure does help that the team turned around its fortunes. I don't want to think about what it would have been like on Friday if the season had continued its downward spiral.

my hope is that Spencer Petras returns next season.. he's been through a lot... getting boo'ed on opening day before the game had to have been tough on him.
its hard to keep confidence and endure a thing like that.. but he's been a champion through and through.
Everything that has been said about Spencer in this thread is correct. He's been a total stand up guy. However, it is my total hope that he does not come back next year and we see what we have. If we have some growing pains, so be it. Can the offense actually be any worse than 131? And no, I'm not putting it all on him. I'm just ready for the next man in.

I think even the most cynical and disenchanted Iowa fans who are in attendance would have the decency to give SP proper applause and recognition on Senior Day. I must admit, though - it sure does help that the team turned around its fortunes. I don't want to think about what it would have been like on Friday if the season had continued its downward spiral.
They may applaud him before the game but if that offense puts up 3 points and we miss out on the easiest trip to Indy Kevin Wilson could have ever created he sure as shit will get booed later.

We are all mildly comfortable we will win and go to indy at 8-4 but the ugly truth is a 7-5 iowa team goes to like Detroit or New York.

My loudest cheer will be for Spencer on Saturday.

It turns how he can be serviceable when he's got, ya know, actually scholarship receivers to throw to. The SDSU and ISU games were simply an unfair way of assessing him. OSU was ugly, but he's rebounded and played serviceable-to-good the last 4 games to put Iowa in position to win the west.

I hope he comes back next year. Who do we think we could get that would be an upgrade over what he's shown once he had some receivers to throw to?

My loudest cheer will be for Spencer on Saturday.

It turns how he can be serviceable when he's got, ya know, actually scholarship receivers to throw to. The SDSU and ISU games were simply an unfair way of assessing him. OSU was ugly, but he's rebounded and played serviceable-to-good the last 4 games to put Iowa in position to win the west.

I hope he comes back next year. Who do we think we could get that would be an upgrade over what he's shown once he had some receivers to throw to?
Jesus dude....

He hasn't hit 60% of his passes at any point as a 3 year starter, has zero mobility or pocket awareness and has missed MANY throws when he has time. Watch some other football.

I don't know if Spencer is going through senior day activities or not, but if he does, I hope he gets a standing ovation. I have been one that has been super critical of his play through his career at Iowa but that dude has my respect. Has always been a great teammate, never called out coaches or players, and always took the tough questions in the media. Just my 2 cents.
Anyone booing Spencer Petras on Senior Day deserves to get punched in the face. Flat-out, on the spot, no appeals.

Don’t be a crappy human being.

I think the coolest thing in recent sports history would be for him to come back and absolutely tear it up.

However, I don't think that's very reasonable at all.

It's time for someone else to take the reins, whoever the hell that's going to be.

All I know is that we better hit the F'n portal if we don't have a guy currently that can get it done next year.

I have never heard Hawk fans not cheer loudly for every player introduced on senior day.

I think the coolest thing in recent sports history would be for him to come back and absolutely tear it up.

However, I don't think that's very reasonable at all.

It's time for someone else to take the reins, whoever the hell that's going to be.
Yeah, I posted in another thread that I give SP kudos for leading this team's turnaround and improving his play, but anything short of a Rose Bowl victory (which would certainly require superb QB play against two very-high-quality opponents) and I'm ready to move on to Iowa's next QB.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I have never heard Hawk fans not cheer loudly for every player introduced on senior day.
Wasn’t there a pretty healthy round of boos for Adam Shada on Senior Day back in the day? Hopefully I have that wrong, I haven’t been to a Senior Day since the one that included Bob Sanders.

No seniors should ever be booed on Senior Day. It’s a recognition of all the time and effort they’ve put into the Iowa football program and a really special moment for them and their families. Any fans who boo that are selfish a-holes that deserve their own public scorn.

I see no reason for a standing ovation that is better than anyone else.

He really struggled late last year and was an abominable QB early this year.

I think the Ohio State performance may be the worst I've ever seen from an FBS QB.

However, I'm genuinely happy he's doing better, and hope he can leave on a good note.

He doesn't deserve to leave with a chorus of boos, that's for sure.

Anyone booing Spencer Petras on Senior Day deserves to get punched in the face. Flat-out, on the spot, no appeals.

Don’t be a crappy human being.
I think most fans pity SP more than anything. He's not a good QB, but he's serviceable behind a quality OL, which he's never consistently had. I still think he's an upgrade over Jake C, and comparable to JVB.

How bout Brian goes through senior day and Spencer comes back for Covid year.
I would love to see spencer w decent OL, healthy WR and a different OC.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Wasn’t there a pretty healthy round of boos for Adam Shada on Senior Day back in the day? Hopefully I have that wrong, I haven’t been to a Senior Day since the one that included Bob Sanders.

No seniors should ever be booed on Senior Day. It’s a recognition of all the time and effort they’ve put into the Iowa football program and a really special moment for them and their families. Any fans who boo that are selfish a-holes that deserve their own public scorn.
I was at every game from 2000 to 2012 and never heard a healthy round of boos for any player.

I've heard a couple boos from random fans for certain players, but they were almost always from fat guys will small dicks who had just finished coaching their son's 6th grade football team to a mythical city title.

I was at every game from 2000 to 2012 and never heard a healthy round of boos for any player.

I've heard a couple boos from random fans for certain players, but they were almost always from fat guys will small dicks who had just finished coaching their son's 6th grade football team to a mythical city title.
Ok good. That’s not what I remember hearing at the time, but I certainly hope it’s not something that’s happened and I wasn’t there for Shada’s.

3 Big Ten West Division Championships in a row..
And a 2nd Big Ten Championship Game Victory.
Despite Petras. Worst qb of the worst offense in football. You need to take the blinders off my God. Let me guess, you think Brian is a good OC as well, and want him back?

Well you weren’t there when Shada was booed then, and it was way more than a few fans booing. I felt bad for him.

Look at the threads on booing from earlier this year. That is how a bunch of our emotionally weak and immature fans would have handled it if things went south. Fortunately, Spencer is A LOT mentally tougher than some of our fan base.

I really hope he goes through Senior Day activities positively, especially if he can make the offense stay on the field long enough to give defense a breather. A few points and don’t put the defense in a bad position. That’s all we really need to go back to Indy.

Wow. 3 tds in 4 games lol. Against 3 bad teams, and a very mediocre Minnesota team. That’s amazing! You actually think that’s proving he is good?
You realize I wasn't responding to you, right? I wasn't even responding from the position that he was good?
I was responding to the statement that "at no point in his career" has he completed 60 percent of his passes.

If I quote one of your statements, that is the good time to respond. Understand?

I mean, I understand you're upset because a certain player just called out fans like you last weekend but come on, get over it.

You realize I wasn't responding to you, right? I wasn't even responding from the position that he was good?
I was responding to the statement that "at no point in his career" has he completed 60 percent of his passes.

If I quote one of your statements, that is the good time to respond. Understand?

I mean, I understand you're upset because a certain player just called out fans like you last weekend but come on, get over it.
I gotta be honest with you, I thought your post to me was sarcasm. I thought you were being tongue in cheek to the Homer's by offering a 4 game data set.

During pregame intros earlier on this year, there were loud boos when he was announced as the starting QB on the PA system, but on senior day I have never witnessed anyone boo any player.

My goodness nobody is booing a senior on senior day. For chrissakes. As much as you would LOVE to have this on the BAD FANS, it ain't happening.

Reactions: littlez
I agree, I think he and his coaches have figured how to use his skill set.Now it’s just getting a big ten OL in place.

Reactions: F5n5
Look at the threads on booing from earlier this year. That is how a bunch of our emotionally weak and immature fans would have handled it if things went south. Fortunately, Spencer is A LOT mentally tougher than some of our fan base.
They argued the players know who they were booing, but as Merriweather's recent statement alludes to they took it personal. They are a team. Don't shit on the team. Go visit Kirk at his house or call Gary and Kirk at their work numbers and or don't show up in Kinnick. That will get their attention.

Good post!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT