ADVERTISEMENT

Petras has a big arm and his HS coach says he has touch.

pkongsh

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2004
Petras completed 199 of 313 pass attempts (63.8%) for 4,157 yards and 50 touchdowns with only two interceptions as a senior at Marin Catholic High School.

We are more stacked with offensive weapons than at any time in recent memory, particularly speed. If we continue to do what we've been doing well, and start to connect on more deep shots when the play is there.. we could be in for a really special run. It will only loosen things up for our running game. Add the expansion of creative ways to pass Goodson the ball in space, and damn.... well it'll be fun.

Petras completed 199 of 313 pass attempts (63.8%) for 4,157 yards and 50 touchdowns with only two interceptions as a senior at Marin Catholic High School.

We are more stacked with offensive weapons than at any time in recent memory, particularly speed. If we continue to do what we've been doing well, and start to connect on more deep shots when the play is there.. we could be in for a really special run. It will only loosen things up for our running game. Add the expansion of creative ways to pass Goodson the ball in space, and damn.... well it'll be fun.
Some factors that have me excited about Petras is not only does he have the raw tangibles (big arm, height, intelligence), but he also has some critical intangibles too (confidence, charisma, extroverted, laid-back). Some of these points that contrast with Stanley be some of the very factors that might lead to him to connecting more frequently on vertical plays with our WRs and TEs.

Or maybe the wide recievers group should catch the damn ball when it hits them in the chest or hands. Obviously some were over thrown but come on already. Go and watch how many drops Tracey had alone. Get out of here with that shit homer. And before you come back and say how inaccurate Stanley was show me a qb who doesn’t miss

We haven’t had a QB2 with this much buzz prior to starting in a long time. Maybe Tate. But the comments coming from players and coaching staff, as well as the lack of any real QB competition, suggest Petras clearly separated himself from everyone else on the roster. I think he’s likely to be the real deal and pretty early on.

Or maybe the wide recievers group should catch the damn ball when it hits them in the chest or hands. Obviously some were over thrown but come on already. Go and watch how many drops Tracey had alone. Get out of here with that shit homer. And before you come back and say how inaccurate Stanley was show me a qb who doesn’t miss
Cool, as long as you go back and watch all the underthrown/thrown behind/thrown over/bullets w no sense of touch.

Stanley’s a hawk and props to him for that but he killed us sometimes n never came up big or clutch in any big moments (minus OSU and Against Lil Debbie)

So put the kool aid down and watch a Fn game that the Hawks r in bruh

Cool, as long as you go back and watch all the underthrown/thrown behind/thrown over/bullets w no sense of touch.

Stanley’s a hawk and props to him for that but he killed us sometimes n never came up big or clutch in any big moments (minus OSU and Against Lil Debbie)

So put the kool aid down and watch a Fn game that the Hawks r in bruh
vs ISU or Miss St.?

Who are you talking to?

I don't know, that's a little off. I mean, he was 3-0 in bowl games. He laid some eggs, though, too. I think people go too far either way on him, especially the people who think he was a dud. The people who think he's a day 2 draft pick seem a somewhat deluded, too. He wasn't the best QB Iowa's ever had, but he was pretty damn good, really.

He never got Wisconsin figured out until the fourth quarter this year and by then it was too late. He struggled against the top defenses and occasionally had "wtf?!" games against teams that weren't great, but that was before this year--he won all the games he was supposed to win this year, no brainfarts like against Purdue in years past. Unfortunately, he struggled like hell against Michigan and Penn State. He missed some deep throws at times that would have changed some games, but he also hit some huge throws, too. He improved a bit every year he was a starter and he improved the team's overall record each year as well (8-5, 9-4, and 10-3).

But ... this thread was supposed to be about Petras. He's had two years in the system already whereas Stanley started his true sophomore season. All indications are that Petras has all the gifts Stanley had--the arm strength, the intangibles--but with apparently a bit more outspoken confidence and a little bit more pocket presence. Plus, he apparently throws a great deep ball. I don't necessarily expect him to be better than Stanley was as a senior and he will probably have some head scratchers as a first year starter, but I think he might have a higher ceiling than Stanley and maybe a more natural feel for the game--I'm going off of what other people have said watching him practice, from coaches and players, last year's spring game, as well as watching him on some online videos.

I'm excited about Petras and I think we should all be able to be excited about him without throwing Stanley under the bus because Nate contributed a lot to Iowa's program (and it was fun as hell watching him go out with a bang against USC).

vs ISU or Miss St.?
Or in the what have you done for me lately column, how about USC in the Holiday bowl? Or are there folks who don't think that was a big game as far as putting a strong finish on the season, and momentum for this year? Also helped to knock that, we can't get that west coast monkey off our back crowd. This could be a huge game as well for the Hawks, if they want to step up recruiting on the west coast.

We haven’t had a QB2 with this much buzz prior to starting in a long time. Maybe Tate. But the comments coming from players and coaching staff, as well as the lack of any real QB competition, suggest Petras clearly separated himself from everyone else on the roster. I think he’s likely to be the real deal and pretty early on.
Beathard had quite a bit of ‘buzz’ going a few years back....and to be honest I think there’s as much if not more ‘buzz’ on these boards about Hogan than ever has been about Petras. BAU.

Reactions: AJBHawkeye
I'm not throwing Stanley under the bus. I've always contended that Stanley has been a great starting QB for the Hawks. However, he's also far from infallible too. Drew Tate suffered from a ton of dropped passes in '05 too ... and yet, without those drops ... his completion percentage likely woulda/coulda been in the ball-park of 70%-ish. Stanley may have suffered from drops too ... but he still couldn't manage a season with 60%+ completions. That still ultimately lands at his feet. It's also a matter of record that Stanley could sometimes reside a little bit too much in his own head ... and that could manifest in him playing a bit too tight. There is a reason why Ferentz would publicly mention that he'd like to see Nate loosen up a little bit. Without question, the Iowa coaches cared for Nate and they loved his attributes - but that's not to say that Nate didn't still have issues with his game that could be improved upon.

Obviously Petras will have a long ways to go in terms of understanding and mastering our O - to even be in the same zip-code as Nate. However, I was suggesting that there are some areas where possibly Petras might have had a leg up on Nate too.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
To Homer

Stanley’s career completion % is 58.3 and Tate’s is 61.0. Tate played in 41 and Stanley in 44. Tate would need 99 more completions to hit 70% and if Stanley was given 99 more completions he’d be at 67% completion and they would be number 1 and 2 Iowa all time.

Wife cheat on you or something? Awful fired up and mad about a simple, harmless comment.

Last thing I'll say about Stanley in this Petras thread... I loved Nate Stanley at QB for the Hawks and I appreciate everything he has done for the program. He is a leader, hard worker and a phenomenal human being that is more than we could ever ask for in a Hawkeye. Period.

Nate is absolutely aware that he needs to work on his deep ball touch/accuracy. Saying something that's a quantifiable fact that the kid himself, our coaches, and every NFL team is completely aware of is not bashing on the kid. Suggesting he never came up big, or was a disappointment in any other way is unfair in my opion... he is one of the all-time greats at Iowa.

If Petras can do what we need him to do in this offense AND hit more deep balls consistently, that will be fun. No way Petras makes all the same tight window exceptional throws Stanley made that everyone apparently takes for granted, at least not right away. Losing that amount of playing experience will be seen at times, and we should be patient with Spencer, but I think everyone will be more patient if he hits streaking WR's for long TDs and chunk plays consistently, and that's a pure arm talent thing. By all accounts he has that which is exciting and the only thing this thread was meant to be about.

To Homer

Stanley’s career completion % is 58.3 and Tate’s is 61.0. Tate played in 41 and Stanley in 44. Tate would need 99 more completions to hit 70% and if Stanley was given 99 more completions he’d be at 67% completion and they would be number 1 and 2 Iowa all time.
Sorry that I wasn't clear - I'm referring to the '05 season. Tate's completion percentage then was around 62 percent ... but the number of drops that season was absolutely unbelievable.

Reactions: ClarindaA's

On short- to mid-range passes ... Stanley was completely on point. I agree that Tracy in '19 reminded me a bit of Ihmir in '17 ... a talented guy, but one who was capable of playing with much better consistency. Also, I'm quite impressed with the overall improvement that Stanley demonstrated throughout his career.

Contrary to the narrative you're suggesting I'm forwarding - I've long been in the Stanley "apologist" crowd. However, that also doesn't mean that I'm an ostrich. Stanley still had his flaws too. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging those warts.

In this thread, I've simply been pointing out that given what little we know about Petras ... many of his characteristics definitely mirror Stanley and that is a tremendously positive thing. However, there are other characteristics that Petras has that might justify hope within the fanbase that we might not see as much of a drop in passing-production in '20 as some folks might anticipate.

Damn Homer did you steal this guy’s girl or something?
Who knows? ... some folks misinterpret crap ... and feel like they have to act-out the tough-guy routine. I don't get it ... but some folks are just that way.

At least I appreciate that Hitmanfan is advocating for one of our players. Stanley has been one of my faves over the past few years ... and I think that too many Iowa fans have dumped on him.

Petras= A more confident, accurate & slightly more mobile version of Stanley.
BUT...
Does he have the toughness & leadership qualities that Stanley had?
P.S.= Hogan is a vocal Christian fundamentalist version Beathard.

You just can't help yourself, can you. You are absolutely the only one who brought anything political/cultural into this thread. You are one of the few posters on here who deserves Legend's classic rebuke. I am confident the world would be better off if you obliged.

Reactions: Herkyhawk247
[QUOTE="Smokinthereiff

Stanley’s a hawk and props to him for that but he killed us sometimes n never came up big or clutch in any big moments (minus OSU and Against Lil Debby

You are an idiot
Solid rebuttal. I seen bowl games as a reference to big games. Kids miss/some interested more than others so hard to gage how big those games r for everyone.

I know what I seen from Stanley whether it’s pinned on him or the interior line I’d say I’m split. He has all the tools but performed dare I say way below talent level.

Always be dropped passes and other variables to consider but he couldn’t connect on the deep ball regularly, threw behind or receivers had to slow up to catch balls because under thrown.

His stats in Big10 games that mattered/Iowa still in contention were not up to his “Pro Level Talent” for any of his time In Iowa.

No moxie, anxiety/yips, idk. Good teammate, represented the university well, team guy but not top 5 QB idk care what the stats say.

I’m over talking about it now and I hope Petras has all the tools his tape in HS seemed to show. Petras/Padilla/Hogan or whomever wins the job I want someone to get Iowa over the top not good enough to balance in the middle as have had talent to win the division the last two years and didn’t.

You just can't help yourself, can you. You are absolutely the only one who brought anything political/cultural into this thread. You are one of the few posters on here who deserves Legend's classic rebuke. I am confident the world would be better off if you obliged.
So is he pumping the Church bell or is Hogan? We going to just ignore it when it’s shoved down r throats by Hogan if/when he ever gets the starting roll?

If Hogan wants to make that his mission and message to preach to everyone his faith, he will have a platform and we will have no choice but to hear it like Dabo’s BS. Why are we not aloud to echo his words (I won’t be)

it’s not my cup of tea but it’s happening and not something we will be able to ignore if he gets the gig. I’d personally not like to hear it just like I’m sure he wouldn’t like to hear what I believe in.

So is he pumping the Church bell or is Hogan? We going to just ignore it when it’s shoved down r throats by Hogan if/when he ever gets the starting roll?

If Hogan wants to make that his mission and message to preach to everyone his faith, he will have a platform and we will have no choice but to hear it like Dabo’s BS. Why are we not aloud to echo his words (I won’t be)

it’s not my cup of tea but it’s happening and not something we will be able to ignore if he gets the gig. I’d personally not like to hear it just like I’m sure he wouldn’t like to hear what I believe in.

Hogan will no longer be tweeting anything until his Hawkeye career is over. He will also not do interviews his freshmen year. You and Trojan Man won't have to hear his religious sentiments.
As a reminder, the thread was about Petras' prospects of leading the team going forward. The Trojan sewer dweller and you made this about Hogan and his religious views. I personally don't care what any of the players' religious affiliations are. They all have the right to believe what they want. Same thing with their political views. None of that is what this thread was about or what this forum is about.

Freaking hall of fame WOB. Aloud.

H4wkfan4lifeHR Legend

“If you have to go back 2 and 3 seasons ago, it doesn't help make your point ;)

I believe smokeinthereiff did use the word “never”.

Some factors that have me excited about Petras is not only does he have the raw tangibles (big arm, height, intelligence), but he also has some critical intangibles too (confidence, charisma, extroverted, laid-back). Some of these points that contrast with Stanley be some of the very factors that might lead to him to connecting more frequently on vertical plays with our WRs and TEs.
Not in any way saying his this good, but all of those very same intangibles are what set one Joe Burrow apart from his peers this season. Yes they had loads of talent elsewhere on the team, but Burrow's performance had as much with his confidence, leadership, and swag as anything else. Petras is said to have some of these same qualities.

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
Petras= A more confident, accurate & slightly more mobile version of Stanley.
BUT...
Does he have the toughness & leadership qualities that Stanley had?
P.S.= Hogan is a vocal Christian fundamentalist version Beathard.
We won't know how accurate Petras is until he plays against Big Ten competition, he will probably face some adversity as he develops.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT