ADVERTISEMENT

Petras isn’t getting good coaching

fezzador

HR All-American
Sep 12, 2006
Spencer Petras has been very frustrating to watch this season, but I think there is a bigger problem - Iowa simply sucks at coaching quarterbacks. It has for a very long time. QBs like Banks, Tate, Stanzi and the like succeeded in spite of crappy coaching, not because of it.

Petras does have some positives that NFL scouts want in a QB - he’s got excellent size and tremendous arm strength. Accuracy is an issue, but it can be improved. It just won’t happen at Iowa. Stanley never found his groove with the long bombs at Iowa, and for the most part we were satisfied with his overall performance as a Hawk.

Petras I think will always have certain limitations - he isn’t going to tuck it and run very often when there’s nobody open - but some of the stuff we saw over the past 6 weeks can be worked on and with competent coaching he can be a competent QB. Unless KF makes a commitment to improving QB play this offseason, Petras won’t get better at Iowa. Odds are, he’s probably as frustrated as we are.

Spencer Petras has been very frustrating to watch this season, but I think there is a bigger problem - Iowa simply sucks at coaching quarterbacks. It has for a very long time. QBs like Banks, Tate, Stanzi and the like succeeded in spite of crappy coaching, not because of it.

Petras does have some positives that NFL scouts want in a QB - he’s got excellent size and tremendous arm strength. Accuracy is an issue, but it can be improved. It just won’t happen at Iowa. Stanley never found his groove with the long bombs at Iowa, and for the most part we were satisfied with his overall performance as a Hawk.

Petras I think will always have certain limitations - he isn’t going to tuck it and run very often when there’s nobody open - but some of the stuff we saw over the past 6 weeks can be worked on and with competent coaching he can be a competent QB. Unless KF makes a commitment to improving QB play this offseason, Petras won’t get better at Iowa. Odds are, he’s probably as frustrated as we are.

I agree to a point but what we’re seeing from SP is more what’s happening between his ears than it is what’s happening at practice.

I agree to a point but what we’re seeing from SP is more what’s happening between his ears than it is what’s happening at practice.

There’s a certain “je ne sais quoi” that most QBs have. I haven’t seen that in Petras - consistently poor decision making and simply playing scared. Maybe it can be remedied, maybe it can’t. I just don’t have much confidence that he’ll be a successful QB at Iowa - and of course, like all Hawks, we should all want him to succeed,

How would he have fared at Arizona State?Fresno State? UC-Davis? Maybe he would look like a different player under a different system, playing against less-talented defenses.

There’s a certain “je ne sais quoi” that most QBs have. I haven’t seen that in Petras - consistently poor decision making and simply playing scared. Maybe it can be remedied, maybe it can’t. I just don’t have much confidence that he’ll be a successful QB at Iowa - and of course, like all Hawks, we should all want him to succeed,

How would he have fared at Arizona State?Fresno State? UC-Davis? Maybe he would look like a different player under a different system, playing against less-talented defenses.
Less talented defenses? Is he going to see a more less talented defense then Debbie's? LOL

Less talented defenses? Is he going to see a more less talented defense then Debbie's? LOL

To be fair it took Iowa a full 30 minutes to do anything on the ground. Nebraska’s defense only looked good at times because of Iowa’s offensive

Coaching is far from Petra’s biggest problem.....

Coaching can certainly help with timing, footwork, reading the defense, understanding the timing of throws, how to move defenders with your eyes and others. I’m not sure a coach can you teach him the feel of throwing with touch. He’s had 19/20 years on this planet, likely 15 of them throwing a football and doesn’t seem to have it.

Huh. I'm pretty sure KOK was anointed the QB Whisperer when he arrived. Now he sux?

Obviously, something hasn't clicked in Petris. He missed a lot of plays that could have extended the series or possibly even scored. He's playing scared.

It’s hard to learn the speed of the game on zoom calls.
Hopefully he’ll get better with experience.

I was all for giving SP a chance to prove he belongs. He simply doesn’t have it. Yesterday’s game would have been a blowout if he would have completed 2 or 3 very simple passes.

He’s so far into his own head that I fear he won’t be able to find his way out, even after he transfers when other QBs pass him by next Spring.

Padilla isn’t the long term answer but he should be given a shot this year. I really believe we have a gunslinger waiting in the wings but he’s simply not ready to lead the team quite yet.

Next Spring will be crucial considering Iowa’s schedule in 2021-2022. We get an up and coming Indiana team out of the gate followed by a trip to what will be a lathered up crowd in Ames. If the QB play doesn’t improve, Iowa will start 0-2 next year.

I worry every time he throws the ball. Has he thrown a ball away yet?
He has made at least a couple of good throwaway decisions in his 6 games (credit when it's due). I thought he was making another one yesterday in the 2nd half only to see him underthrow to Laporta that was close to a pick. It was one of those "throw it away, throw it away, good job he's throwing it away, then Noooooooo!" moments.

I want the kid to be a 1st Team All-American, but right now I'd settle for a run of the mill so-so DI QB.

Right now he sits at 106th of 111 spots for NCAA Passing Efficiency. That seems like it's not a good place to be.........

To be fair it took Iowa a full 30 minutes to do anything on the ground. Nebraska’s defense only looked good at times because of Iowa’s offensive
I would agree, I think Debbie played the best game of the year defensively, but for the most part this season, Debbie hasn't been good on defense. and really, Minnesota's defense hasn't been good this year. I agree though that I thought Petras would be a little further along. He's getting better, but has his moments. That INT he threw was egregious, he was in sheer panic mode. My guess is that he is the best we have, or the coaches would be playing someone else. Only people who watch them practice would know that.

He has accuracy when warming up— it is when the bullets fly, linemen in front of him, DB’s moving that he can not handle. Some can, some have trouble.

He has made at least a couple of good throwaway decisions in his 6 games (credit when it's due). I thought he was making another one yesterday in the 2nd half only to see him underthrow to Laporta that was close to a pick. It was one of those "throw it away, throw it away, good job he's throwing it away, then Noooooooo!" moments.

I want the kid to be a 1st Team All-American, but right now I'd settle for a run of the mill so-so DI QB.

Right now he sits at 106th of 111 spots for NCAA Passing Efficiency. That seems like it's not a good place to be.........
Especially since we actually have good WR’s for once

It’s hard to learn the speed of the game on zoom calls.
Hopefully he’ll get better with experience.

Not meaning to attack, but that's a copout. All QBs get
better with experience. The question the coaches haven't asked or answered
is whether there is another QB who would be improving, but starting from a much higher base.

I would agree, I think Debbie played the best game of the year defensively, but for the most part this season, Debbie hasn't been good on defense. and really, Minnesota's defense hasn't been good this year. I agree though that I thought Petras would be a little further along. He's getting better, but has his moments. That INT he threw was egregious, he was in sheer panic mode. My guess is that he is the best we have, or the coaches would be playing someone else. Only people who watch them practice would know that.

Not attaching, but this assertion drives me crazy. NOBODY, including the coaches, know who the best QB is without real game exposure. Only then can accuracy, decision-making, mobility,...under pressure be evaluated.

It should have been apparent long before now that Petras is not the guy. Therefore it should have been a top priority in the 3 games we've had a lead, to find out if one of the other guys has "it".

Instead of looking for a way to get those guys in, it looks like the coaches have looked for a reason not to get them in. There is no way to describe that other than coaching incompetence and malpractice.

That play was a stark contrast between Petras and Martinez. Petras had 8 seconds, no one in his face, and instead of throwing the ball OOB, threw a wounded duck directly to the CB. Martinez had six seconds, guy closing in, and threw a laser to a place where only his TE could make a play. And by no means is Martinez a top-tier QB.

I agree that Spencer has a lot of work to do and am concerned that he will not turn into the quarterback that are hoping. I do find it funny when someone uses the logic that some players succeed despite the coaching. I know this fits your narrative better, but I do not agree that you can blame the coaches for the players who do not reach their potential, but not give the coaches the credit for those that do.

The coaches are going to put it on themselves as opposed to the players as that is what most good coaches do, unlike Frosty. Ultimately, we know that players develop at different rates and some never reach their full potential. This is exaggerated in quarterbacks and becomes the “It” factor. Unfortunately, this factor may not be seen until the player is in an actual game and bullets begin to fly. We then begin to see the true nature of that player, which is concerning about Petras at this time. This is also why coaches try to ensure that they have a quarterback in every class as they know some will get injured or just not develop as expected.

Reactions: 24 so far
Petras a young QB starting for the 1st time this year after limited playing time last year and not having the spring to get it together, it could be worse. Other Big 10 teams like Nebraska, MSU, PSU, and Michigan seem to be worse off with their QB situation.

Reactions: desihawk
Petras a young QB starting for the 1st time this year after limited playing time last year and not having the spring to get it together, it could be worse. Other Big 10 teams like Nebraska, MSU, PSU, and Michigan seem to be worse off with their QB situation.
They do? We literally have the worst qb in the conference for passing efficiency, and in the nation almost, and most of his completions are within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. At least these other teams are seeing if they have something better on the bench. Not our staff, no way, they're going to go with Petras for the next 3 years no matter what. They're too stupid to realize some guys just get it done in the game, while others, like Petras, fold like a tent in the games, but look great in practice. How in the hell did Petras break Goff's records in high school?

The only issue I have with the 'coaches' right now is not giving someone else a chance. This is the one thing they continually have an issue with over the years. Is the fear they will have a QB controversy? Who gives a shit if you do, that's great for competition. It shouldn't make anyone feel better that your QB gives a thumbs up after hitting the defense in the hands. Good, glad you realized that wasn't a good play.

It might do him some good to see the action from the sidelines and maybe the game will slow down for him.
The scary thought is that maybe no other QB on the team is even close to Petras.......LOL We don't see their practice, so we don't really know where the other QB's are in their development. One would think that a kid that broke all of Jarod Goff's HS records would be pretty good on day one, but Petras seems to get rattled easy and seems to lack confidence. I can say, I don't think Deuce Hogan has ever seemed to lack confidence, but is he ready? Maybe Petras comes out of it, maybe not, but my assumption is that he is the best we have at this moment in time.

Reactions: Capeto and Maddux04
The scary thought is that maybe no other QB on the team is even close to Petras.......LOL We don't see their practice, so we don't really know where the other QB's are in their development. One would think that a kid that broke all of Jarod Goff's HS records would be pretty good on day one, but Petras seems to get rattled easy and seems to lack confidence. I can say, I don't think Deuce Hogan has ever seemed to lack confidence, but is he ready? Maybe Petras comes out of it, maybe not, but my assumption is that he is the best we have at this moment in time.
We’ll never know.

The internal clock a QB has does not come from a coach. Petras’ clock expires as soon as he touches the football. From happy feet to locking on receivers to just straight up throwing 100 mph “touch passes” to putting passes two yards short/at the feet of open receivers..... Four games into his third year on campus and he still looks lost. There is not one area I can honestly say he has done well at.

That play yesterday on Iowa’s last FG drive when he was nearly picked off...the one where he blindly flung it into the flats was a sign he doesn’t have it. Not saying he won’t get it but he is costing this team points which would also open up other areas....aka the running game. Nebraska picked the box and filled hard because they knew Petras couldn’t beat them. That nearly worked and their defense is garbage. What do you think it’ll look like against Wisconsin? Bottom line is the plays are there and he is the weak link in execution for a majority of those plays.

The internal clock a QB has does not come from a coach. Petras’ clock expires as soon as he touches the football. From happy feet to locking on receivers to just straight up throwing 100 mph “touch passes” to putting passes two yards short/at the feet of open receivers..... Four games into his third year on campus and he still looks lost. There is not one area I can honestly say he has done well at.

That play yesterday on Iowa’s last FG drive when he was nearly picked off...the one where he blindly flung it into the flats was a sign he doesn’t have it. Not saying he won’t get it but he is costing this team points which would also open up other areas....aka the running game. Nebraska picked the box and filled hard because they knew Petras couldn’t beat them. That nearly worked and their defense is garbage. What do you think it’ll look like against Wisconsin? Bottom line is the plays are there and he is the weak link in execution for a majority of those plays.

Agree, and it's not just WI in 2 weeks. With KF's track record of not giving backups an opportunity, it's NW, MI, PSU, OSU,WI, Purdue and probably IN for the next 3 years.

And Padilla and Hogan are seeing the same things we're seeing. How do you think they see their future when they're getting no chance inspite of this shi_tshow and knowing KF's track record over the years in not giving backups a chance?

Yes he has some tools, but he gets flustered with literally no one around him. You saw it yesterday where he either fails to step up into a perfectly clean pocket or leaves a perfectly clean pocket, not to open a passing lane but to run out of bounds with no intent to look downfield. Or if he does get outside the pocket and looks up he makes incredibly bad throws or decisions. Pocket presence is completely lacking.

If Petras looks nervous and flusterd in nearly empty stadiums, imagine how he’s going to be once we get back to full crowds? His happy feet and poor decision making are only second to his lack of escapability and poor accuracy. Besides handing the ball off, I don’t think there is anything he is excellent at yet. I’m still hopeful he will improve a little each week. He will never be fleet of foot, but he could be a very dangerous passer and I think he has good leadership skills.

Maybe Peyton Mansell should have stuck around? At least I thought that Mansell could make plays with his feet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT