ADVERTISEMENT

Petras type QBs.

FlickShagwell

HB Legend
Jun 16, 2003
Omaha, NE
@torbee and @MidnightBlueSix can vouch for me, I’m currently defending Spencer in an email thread we’re on with a bunch of people. I just said this about Petras:

“I really hate it that the second he “scrambles” from the pocket you know he’s throwing into the 10th row. Every. Single. Time. I’m a giant dork and really superstitious so I watched the 2004 Purdue game this week. On our first drive Drew Tate is dead to rights, somehow escapes the Dlineman that just had him wrapped up, rolls out and keeps looking downfield and finds Scott Chandler for a huge gain. Remember that? (0:56 mark)

Petras a. doesn’t escape that, b. throws it out of bounds immediately if he somehow does, and c. feels pressure where there is none on the next play and dumps it off to Sam Brownlee for a loss before Ed Hinkle, Clinton Solomon, and Scott Chandler even get to the sticks on the next play. So I’m with you in a sense, but Padilla and Hogan haven’t been able to beat him out. I was at both spring practices and the kids day in August. Petras was clearly better. We have to ride or die with Spencer. “

What I’m curious about is why do we continue to recruit Petras type QBs - 6-4 pro style guys in lieu of dual threats. Stanley was that. Beathard was not, and yes, he got killed and had the mobility of my grandpa in 2016, but that 2015 season didn’t suck. Do they think they’re going to hit on the next Carson Palmer? Is having a Carson Palmer even feasible in 2021?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News