ADVERTISEMENT

Petras v Labas

Hawk94Mn

HB MVP
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2017
What are the odds that Labas overtakes Petras at some point during the 2022 season.

post March Madness Ive been in a bit of a low grade depression with nothing to fill my time between now and fall football - usually that involves some hope about how the team will look but the idea of watching Petras take snaps for Iowa game is indeed doubling that depression.

He lacks accuracy, mobility and confidence. He can’t punish a team for rushing 3 defenders by extending a play. DE’s have no fear of him escaping the pocket so taking a wide set to the QB or a drastic inside move are always on the table. He hasn’t been the reason they’ve won a single game since he’s started.

I think Labas on the other hand has that added dimension of legs that could really benefit a team that finds itself in 3 and 5 a lot. Furthermore pass protection issues can be alleviated very quickly with a guy who can trust himself to extend a play.

Petras is just antithesis of what Iowa needs at QB. We don’t have super dynamic athletes that will get open in the 3 seconds he has to operate. We don’t run the ball well enough where he won’t be expected to make a single play. Every season where Iowa has exceeded expectations and had a true chance against the big boys is when you have a difference maker at QB.

Will Iowa be successful if he plays, sure. The defense will be great , the run game will be likely better with better schematic fits. But when the time comes for a big 3rd conversion will we rely on Spencer making the correct read and throw a pass that is just catchable enough for the receiver, unlikely.

Not only that - D coordinators are smart. Eventually they will catch you in a look you don’t expect and you will be forced to either extend the play or scramble. Neither of those are an option for Petras. Please someone give me hope with a nugget that they are going to sacrifice Petras to the football Gods.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News