ADVERTISEMENT

Petras with a bad day

Tracy, Ragaini and Jones are the best receivers Iowa has had since 1985? Whatchu drinkin Willis?
yeah, not saying they are bad but a huge drop off even from last year. also might be the shortest (heightwise) WR lineup in the country.

Tracy, Ragaini and Jones are the best receivers Iowa has had since 1985? Whatchu drinkin Willis?
looks like we basically have 3 decent slot receivers and are hugely missing a physical x. fades are likely out of the playbook as well.

My biggest question about this game is it was the perfect opportunity to bring along a second QB. He could have and should have played the fourth quarter to give the coaching staff an idea how he would handle game situations. We now know nothing more than before the game. If Petras were to get injured in the first quarter against Iowa State we have no one that has played.

I love how the commentator said after Petrass terrible throw to Tracy,
"That's the next step for him"
Hahhaahah! The next step!
A year 2 starter. The next step is.... throwing a pass to a wide open WR just standing there 10 yds away!

The kid SUCKS.
And what makes it worse is how he always CLAPS after incompletions and errors!
(And if you haven't noticed, he claps a lot)
Is there an ‘eff off’ emoji?

Spencer needs all the reps he can get. Its not like bringing Mark Vlasic in for Chuck Long. Alex Padilla has shown little to nothing to earn extra downs.

Hopefully those downs will come in games 3-5. But for now Iowa has not leeway for error.

How do your fanbase is becoming irrational? They complain after a four TD blowout win over a ranked conference opponent in the season opener.

I'm incredibly happy with the win against Indiana. The defense looked better than anyone could have anticipated. The offensive line generally played well.

It's also fair to point out that Petras did not look good. Yes, we got out to a big lead early, so it makes sense Petras was more careful than he might otherwise be. He didn't turn it over, which is essentially all he needed to do for us to win. Indiana's defense is pretty good, especially at forcing turnovers, and so it's understandable that Petras's stats might not look great. If our defense is even half as good as it looked against Indiana, we can have a great year without above average QB play. With all that said, Petras had some big missed throws - off the top of my head he overthrew Goodson out of the backfield for a first down (Goodson could have made the catch, but Petras didn't make it easy), he missed a wide open IKM, and he severely underthrew Tracy for a sure TD when Indiana essentially just didn't guard Tracy.

I'm not calling for Petras to be benched, because I believe the coaches when they say he separated himself - and from all accounts he looked like the best QB at the kid's day scrimmage. Petras is the guy unless he gets hurt. But I also am not a believer that he's going to be an above average QB. He has great size and great arm strength for sure, but the game still looks like it's moving too fast for him and if he hasn't developed the confidence by now to stand strong in the pocket, I doubt he's ever going to get there. I think this team would be a playoff contender with someone like Banks, Tate, Stanzi, or Beathard. I'd also take Rudock and Stanley over Petras. We can still have a hell of a team with an average QB - see 2003 with Nate Chandler.

Reactions: pondscum
If I saw this right, Petras has the third best QBR against Indiana's defense dating back to the start of last year behind Fields and Clifford and a huge part of Clifford's rating is the fact that he ran for over 100 yards. I think Petras might be only the second QB in that span to not get picked off as well. Fields was intercepted 3 times. Without the drops he had a really good day. Most people just have confirmation bias and can't evaluate new information objectively.

If I saw this right, Petras has the third best QBR against Indiana's defense dating back to the start of last year behind Fields and Clifford and a huge part of Clifford's rating is the fact that he ran for over 100 yards. I think Petras might be only the second QB in that span to not get picked off as well. Fields was intercepted 3 times. Without the drops he had a really good day. Most people just have confirmation bias and can't evaluate new information objectively.
That's a good stat. I also wasn't aware rushing played into QBR.

I was actually pleasantly surprised with how Petras started the day. He was making good decisions and decisive throws that were on the money. His receivers did not help him a ton. As the day wore on he got his happy feet and started missing more throws.

I really wish Iowa could at the very least add the threat of mobile QB to the mix as it yields itself to our offense. Our last decade of QBs- if you flush them out of their spot, the probability of them making a positive play goes to about 3%.

Reactions: owenhawk
I will admit, after rewatching it, he does seem to be making the decision to miss more than just missing. You dont get to freebie the drops but it appears the game is slowing down for him.

I will admit, after rewatching it, he does seem to be making the decision to miss more than just missing. You dont get to freebie the drops but it appears the game is slowing down for him.
Had at least 3 throw aways, at least 3 drops and a couple near misses and about 4-5 bad throws, although one was completed. I think there were some problems in the second half with the pass rush/blitzes getting into the QB which created the happy feet and the loss of focus. The line absolutely has to play better this week cuz a rattled Spencer is disaster in the making.

Reactions: owenhawk
For those of you who use or pay attention to Pro Football Focus (a ratings system that rates each player on a scale of 1-100 by looking at every single play) Spencer got a 73.5 grade for Saturday, which is considered a good game (90+ is elite, like Moss' 92.5 grade) and one of his better grades thus far in his career.

Just "serviceable" again. Offense is still struggling. Defense can't count on always getting turnovers. The offense needs to show up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT