ADVERTISEMENT

Petras working out with QB Coach/NFL Prep QB Coach Tony Racioppi

I’ve wondered what people who know more than me about the QB position thought about Petras’ footwork last year. I think it was shaky at first and improved some later, but there were times his feet were like Fred Flintstone in the pocket. I think he can make great strides between last year and next and become an excellent QB.

I'm going to be optimistic. He did lead the Hawks to 6 straight wins, and it certainly could have been 8 with Mich & MO games. For the year he completed 57% of his passes and a QB rating of 119.

His stats compared favorably to Nate's first starting year in 2017, with the big exception being TD's.

Unfortunately, he has to jump straight into the fire with Indiana and ISU in the first two games.

I think he's going to have a good year.

I'm going to be optimistic. He did lead the Hawks to 6 straight wins, and it certainly could have been 8 with Mich & MO games. For the year he completed 57% of his passes and a QB rating of 119.

His stats compared favorably to Nate's first starting year in 2017, with the big exception being TD's.

Unfortunately, he has to jump straight into the fire with Indiana and ISU in the first two games.

from what I have seen and heard, they are really working hard on getting the ball out of Spencer's hand quickly, unless, of course, they are going for the home run/deep route

I can't remember the number they are trying to hit. Is it either 2 seconds or 2.5 seconds and they want the ball thrown.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
A lot of people have been really hard on Petras for last years performance, which admittedly wasn't very good. However, last year was a different year for a lot of players including Petras-- no spring ball, limited practices, it was his first year as starter, first real game experience. He improved as the year went on which is all I was hoping for.

I’ve wondered what people who know more than me about the QB position thought about Petras’ footwork last year. I think it was shaky at first and improved some later, but there were times his feet were like Fred Flintstone in the pocket. I think he can make great strides between last year and next and become an excellent QB.
This is an understatement, imo. I don't remember ever seeing a quarterback do that gallop in place thing he did early in the year. It was bizarre.

Also begs the question, what is KOK good for?
KOK (and the whole coaching staff) have limited time to work with players, including a lot of time where they can't coach them at all.

KOK's role is work with the QB's when it's allowed and to provide guidance to the QB's on what to practice when contact isn't allowed. It's entirely possible that he suggested this training to Spencer.

There's also my personal belief that KOK was brought on board to mentor our offensive coordinator as he stepped into a role with which he had no experience.

But by all means, feel free to hate on our coaching staff. That's a pretty popular activity here it seems.

This is an understatement, imo. I don't remember ever seeing a quarterback do that gallop in place thing he did early in the year. It was bizarre.

I remember announcers in the 1st game saying that the "happy feet" was good footwork... 🤣

KOK (and the whole coaching staff) have limited time to work with players, including a lot of time where they can't coach them at all.

KOK's role is work with the QB's when it's allowed and to provide guidance to the QB's on what to practice when contact isn't allowed. It's entirely possible that he suggested this training to Spencer.

There's also my personal belief that KOK was brought on board to mentor our offensive coordinator as he stepped into a role with which he had no experience.

But by all means, feel free to hate on our coaching staff. That's a pretty popular activity here it seems.
I'll add that O'Keefe won't be here forever. He's close to retirement age.

He led them? As in because of him?

Glad to see Spencer working out with a coach who can teach proper mechanics. His footwork and throwing motion look improved to my untrained eye. I believe Spencer will take a big step this year and the offense will be better because of his improvement.

Pretty easy when no one is covering the receiver..no pass rush and no fans screaming at you......
Maybe so, but all we can ask is that he's putting in the work to improve and lead the Hawks. It looks like he is, so good for him. I'm sure it hasn't escaped Spencer who is a pretty smart young man, that the three QB's who came before him, ALL either are in the NFL, or are at least still affiliated with a team on their practice squad. Whens the last time that Iowa had their last three signal callers in the league? How many current NCAA teams have their last three in the league? I'll bet not many. It should be obvious to SP that NOW is the time for him to take a big step forward, and I think he will....

Velocity? We know the kid can throw the ball like a bullet. What we're not so sure of is if he has any touch on the ball. Can he feather it in there when appropriate, or is everything still a full-speed fastball? Any decent QB, just like any decent pitcher, knows when to throw at what speed. After all, if you're knocking receivers over with velocity, accuracy doesn't mean a thing.

But sure, give the kid credit for trying to get better, although it would seem that most athletes are trying to improve. If Petras goes all Garza on this off-season training program and gets anywhere near the same results, then woo-hoo! Great for him and great for the Hawkeyes.

Reactions: iowahaha1
Since he's KF's pick for the job and will be getting all the snaps barring something unforseen happening, it's good to see him putting in extra work. Results on the field in real game action remain to be seen.

No I think its like a Bohannon thing. They just hate Petras and want him to fail so they can get another QB they will hate within 12 months.

I think it's a bit different than the Bohannon thing. JBo has come off like an attention whore for quite awhile. That wears on people.

Petras has done no such thing. The criticism he's getting (fair or not) comes from his up and down first season. He's been pretty humble along the way.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT