ADVERTISEMENT

Pets

kcnole63

HR MVP
Jan 11, 2021
I thought we needed a break from all the political crap. My wife and I have been married 36 years and we never had a dog or cat (the kids had reptiles and hamsters). A few months ago, we got a cute little Maltese puppy and are loving her (despite all the chewing/biting). I now have a walking buddy and my wife has a "baby" she can dress and take care of. I retired recently so I have plenty of time to spend with her. We have become very attached and her to us. Just wanted to share and see if anyone else would like to share their pet(s) story.

As our dogs both my wife (no pics) and I had before we met were getting older we got a Golden Retriever puppy who is now almost 2 years old and is the sweetest 100 pound dog you will ever meet. After both our older dogs passed we adopted a Border Collie/Australian Shepherd mix that is very loving but also a hyper psycho dog that loves to jump on your lap, then crawl on your chest, then up to your head. But the Golden loves her so I'll put up with her.

ZNVr9Iv.jpeg

But you can leave a cat alone in the house for a few days for a quick getaway.

Not with dogs.

You're right. I've never had a cat. Fun cat story though: My dad loves to tell me about the cat he had in college. Occasionally, my dad would leave a window open in his apartment while he was attending Coe and Fousta would tour the neighborhood. He was neutered, so it was a responsible "release" into the wild. Fousta would be gone for a day or so and would come back bearing gifts. It was usually a mouse or two placed neatly on my dad's apartment patio. Where Fousta would sit proudly and wait for my dad to return. This happened many times.

If anybody would like our youngest ~70# hound mix, I'll be happy to hand deliver him. He's been to 3 trainers ranging from telling him he's a good boy to basically military school, so he's comfortable attending training sessions. His skills include swallowing socks, jumping through screens, digging his way out from under fences, jumping over fences where his leg gets caught and he hangs upside down, pissing all over the inside of the vets office, jumping on top of kitchen counters, pissing on work computers, jumping like a cat if awoken, and many others. He responds well to cheese and may or may not know his own name. When in the company of others, he pops wood.

We had a cat for years that was just unpleasant to most people and would chew up every cord in the house. I was firmly against another cat, but our current one is about the most affable cat you could ever meet.
And yes, the great thing about cats is you can leave them alone for a few days. But they're still cats, and can't really show the affection that dogs can. We'll be empty nesters in a few years and it wouldn't surprise me if our next pet was a dog.

Reactions: kcnole63
5 year old Saint Bernard. Gentle giant but not the best lap dog she thinks she is. Kids adore her as much as she adores them, so that’s nice. She sheds and shits like a mofo though.

Our dogs are at the end of their life journey.

We will not be getting any replacement dogs.
Ditto but one dog. Wife (pic included) will totally lose her shit when dog gets put down.
No more beach walks - protecting the hips. Hope to get 2-3 more years.

Reactions: goldmom
If anybody would like our youngest ~70# hound mix, I'll be happy to hand deliver him. He's been to 3 trainers ranging from telling him he's a good boy to basically military school, so he's comfortable attending training sessions. His skills include swallowing socks, jumping through screens, digging his way out from under fences, jumping over fences where his leg gets caught and he hangs upside down, pissing all over the inside of the vets office, jumping on top of kitchen counters, pissing on work computers, jumping like a cat if awoken, and many others. He responds well to cheese and may or may not know his own name. When in the company of others, he pops wood.
Sounds like a winner!

I thought we needed a break from all the political crap. My wife and I have been married 36 years and we never had a dog or cat (the kids had reptiles and hamsters). A few months ago, we got a cute little Maltese puppy and are loving her (despite all the chewing/biting). I now have a walking buddy and my wife has a "baby" she can dress and take care of. I retired recently so I have plenty of time to spend with her. We have become very attached and her to us. Just wanted to share and see if anyone else would like to share their pet(s) story.
We have a Morkiepoo. Maltese/Yorkie mama, toy poodle daddy. Smartest little guy I’ve ever had. Loves me to death.
244649626_4725891577432847_1808345220681820072_n.jpg

Last edited:
Got that Goldendoodle from a breeder and two sibling cats from Petco. Love the male cat the most.

My daughter has a golden doodle. She's a great dog, other than she thinks she's a lap dog, which is an issue when she weighs 60 lbs.

We have a corgi. He's a fantastic dog other than he doesn't trust the steps we got for him to get on the bed, so we have to lift him up there. We keep thinking we'll enter him in corgi races since he keeps up with the German shepards that live behind us.

The wife has been guilt tripped into getting a cat (rescued from a shelter) and a gecko over the last two years by the kids. My opinion was never considered. That said, I don’t mind the cat and the gecko isn’t a lot of effort. So could be worse.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
Became empty nesters, we'd never had any pets before and decided to get a puppy. Corgi, spoiled as can be, my best friend, follows me everywhere as I'm pretty much his stay at home parent. I work from home. Has a bit of a napoleon complex, not afraid to mix it up with the two golden doodles one neighbor has and the two black labs the other neighbor has.

Reactions: kcnole63
I have a mini goldendoodle. He is 2 years old, very high energy, loves all dogs and people. His only somewhat downside is how attached he is to me. I work from home so he has never been home by himself for more than a few hours. He follows me everywhere around the house, but he is a good boy and I love him!

The wife has been guilt tripped into getting a cat (rescued from a shelter) and a gecko over the last two years by the kids. My opinion was never considered. That said, I don’t mind the cat and the gecko isn’t a lot of effort. So could be worse.

How could I forget the gecko’s? We have 2 leopards we have had for about 3 years. They are pretty cool actually. We like to get them out when playing board games. They just kind of hang out and come climb on us when they want.

Thought I was done with pets in 2016 when my dog passed. But started missing having one around, so just over a year ago I got a mini Bernedoodle. Just love her personality and the fact that she rarely barks. Just had next door neighbor tell me last week that he has never heard my dog bark, but that he laughs seeing her peeking through the fence at him when he is cleaning his pool.
This dog thinks that every person and other dog is her friend. So much so, that when we are out for a walk and someone pulls in their driveway or comes out of their house, she wants to stop to see if they are coming over to pet her. It makes some walks take much longer than they should because she loves to socialize.

How could I forget the gecko’s? We have 2 leopards we have had for about 3 years. They are pretty cool actually. We like to get them out when playing board games. They just kind of hang out and come climb on us when they want.
We have a crested. He likes to climb/jump on us too. However, recently he’s started scurrying away and he’s still pretty small/young. So I’m not all that interested in getting him lost in the house. Therefore his outside time has been limited lately.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
I've had 2 diferent golden retrievers (LOVE the breed) over a period of 30 yrs. Was planning on getting one more, but T(no pic)BW talked me into getting a german shepherd (she grew up with them). So we now have a 2 yr. old german shepherd. He's pretty popular with the bitches at the dog park.

thumbnail

Last edited:
I have a mini goldendoodle. He is 2 years old, very high energy, loves all dogs and people. His only somewhat downside is how attached he is to me. I work from home so he has never been home by himself for more than a few hours. He follows me everywhere around the house, but he is a good boy and I love him!
The lady that cuts my hair has a 9 month old dog. She takes him to a place once a week for the day that offers a play date with other dogs. You might want to consider something like this if one is available where you live.

The cat has bad kidneys, one dog has arthritis, the other is blind, has dry eyes and is diabetic. The vets new car is pretty nice though.
And despite being a lefty you are a decent human for loving and caring for those animals.

Reactions: Moral
The lady that cuts my hair has a 9 month old dog. She takes him to a place once a week for the day that offers a play date with other dogs. You might want to consider something like this if one is available where you live.

Yeah it sounds like the dog needs a lot more exercise.

That's our concern too. My wife isn't pleased that I'm his #1 :) He pays her a fair amount of attention and she does get the big welcome home greeting everyday. Anyway last spring we started taking him to doggie daycare a day or two per week. Loves it, made it easier to leave him there for a week while we went on vacation too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT