ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***PG Brock Harding commits to Iowa***

Looks like a very low release on his shot. And kind of a push shot? Not sure how that’s gonna work against tall athletic guards?

Was there a 3pt shot that hit the rim on that entire video? I know it is highlights but that was a large volume of shots including some guarded ones and a lot of step backs.

Would be interesting to see how well he does with catch and shoot. Or is he more like JBo where he's a better shooter with the ball in his hands?

Was there a 3pt shot that hit the rim on that entire video? I know it is highlights but that was a large volume of shots including some guarded ones and a lot of step backs.

Would be interesting to see how well he does with catch and shoot. Or is he more like JBo where he's a better shooter with the ball in his hands?
What impressed me more was his intermediate game. He has amazing balance and control. That could make all the difference. He really reminds me of a young John Stockton.

Nice addition to the 2023 class.

1254172884282.jpg

Looks like a very low release on his shot. And kind of a push shot? Not sure how that’s gonna work against tall athletic guards?
I thought that at first too, (although not sure it matters with that combo of foot quickness and quick release) but if you watch the whole thing the shot looks much better coming off screens than on the cross over step back moves.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Brody Boyd. I thought the same thing, but I think Brock is quicker and a much better ball handler and distributor. Much more of a true PG. Boyd was basically a shooter — and undersized SG.
Brody wasn’t this athletic or as good of a ball handler or passer. He was a good catch and shoot shooter who had to run around a bunch of screens to get open because he wasn’t even 6’ tall. He was listed as a PG because of his height but like you said was more of a SG who ended up leading the conference in steals as a senior.

I don’t see very many similarities between those two other than height.

Brody wasn’t this athletic or as good of a ball handler or passer. He was a good catch and shoot shooter who had to run around a bunch of screens to get open because he wasn’t even 6’ tall. He was listed as a PG because of his height but like you said was more of a SG who ended up leading the conference in steals as a senior.

I don’t see very many similarities between those two other than height.
Not even close.

They look similar, theres nothing similar about their games other than shooting.

Brody Boyd. I thought the same thing, but I think Brock is quicker and a much better ball handler and distributor. Much more of a true PG. Boyd was basically a shooter — and undersized SG.
Mike Gessel seems to be the best comp I have seen. Ok but not great shooter. Quick but short and will struggle to get his shot off in traffic. Slightly smaller but probably a better passer.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Another PG that comes to mind and established himself as a quality player in Frans first couple years was Bryce Cartwright. Why it took 13 years to get another well rounded PG is beyond me, but I'm happy for Brock and am excited to not only see 2 Iowa Hawkeye recruits play at my alma mader, Moline this coming winter but get to see both of them play for my favorite College team for the foreseeable future. How good is that!
Gesel was a very good player but after an injury to his shoulder was never the same and was sporadic on offense and unreliable at the line when the pressure was on. That was my perception of him.

Last edited:
Mike Gessel seems to be the best comp I have seen. Ok but not great shooter. Quick but short and will struggle to get his shot off in traffic. Slightly smaller but probably a better passer.
I was thinking something like a mix of Gessel and JBO.

Jbos shooting and ballhandling (and size) with Gessels athleticism.

Size is obviously the question mark but if you're going to be 6ft in college basketball you need to be a good shooter and fast as shit and he looks the part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT