ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***PG Brock Harding commits to Iowa***

it’s too bad highlights don’t show much defensive clips…… with as quick as he is he’s going to steal the ball quite a bit I’m guessing

What is everyone expecting of him on the defensive side and what is the excepted range of what he can give up on the defensive side to be considered a good defensive player. It seems everyone is concerned about his height and whether he can hold his own playing defensive. I've seen him in person and every player gives up points on the defensive end and it isn't just tied to a players height. Can we have a friendly discussion on this topic?

Gesell and JBo really struggled to finish in the paint. Mordant and Steph Curry can do it but they.are 6'3". Morant led the NBA in paint points.
But not many smallish guys can go to the hoop.and make it in power 5 college ball.
Cassius Winston recently dominated the conference for years at 6'1 without the benefit of being super athletic.

I think Michigan has started a pg under 6ft tall for the last 6 years or so.

NBA example, Chris Paul. Gets wherever he wants to, never gets blocked.

Quickness, ballhandling, shooting, passing and body control.

IllQChawk care to share why you quoted my post then asked everyone to be friendly?

I thought I was being complimentary about the kid….. I simply thought it would be fun to see some defensive highlights

I have zero expectations for a kid not even in the program yet honestly

Reactions: Bravehawk56
IllQChawk care to share why you quoted my post then asked everyone to be friendly?

I thought I was being complimentary about the kid….. I simply thought it would be fun to see some defensive highlights

I have zero expectations for a kid not even in the program yet honestly
You were the only post I saw that mentioned that his highlight video's didn't show much on defense, no offense to you personally.
When it comes to defense for anyone that is 6ft or shorter this board seems to have conflicting opinions and mostly, they aren't good and Brock has been a target of some on here of being slotted in the category of former Iowa players that were accused of playing poor defensive whether it was always true or not.
Unless Brock ends up having multiple injuries during his time at Iowa, he will prove to be extremely worthy of his scholarship and very likely an all time Iowa fan favorite. Time will tell....

Reactions: intrepodor
You were the only post I saw that mentioned that his highlight video's didn't show much on defense, no offense to you personally.
When it comes to defense for anyone that is 6ft or shorter this board seems to have conflicting opinions and mostly, they aren't good and Brock has been a target of some on here of being slotted in the category of former Iowa players that were accused of playing poor defensive whether it was always true or not.
Unless Brock ends up having multiple injuries during his time at Iowa, he will prove to be extremely worthy of his scholarship and very likely an all time Iowa fan favorite. Time will tell....
yea so you quote me and ask why we can’t have a friendly conversation when all I did was compliment the kid…..

I didn’t appreciate that ….you could have made your point without quoting anyone

I’m all on board hoping he has a great career…… saying I wished highlights showed more defensive play wasn’t a knock on the kid…I was simply saying the highlights always show offensive play…. I honestly would like to see them focus a little more on defensive highlights….. because I’m guessing he’ll be a major pain to opponents bringing the ball up court given his quickness….

I don’t know if you’re a friend or family member or something but if so you’re going to have to get some thicker skin if you’re going to be following posts about him

Last edited:
yea so you quote me and ask why we can’t have a friendly conversation when all I did was compliment the kid…..

I didn’t appreciate that ….you could have made your point without quoting anyone

I’m all on board hoping he has a great career…… saying I wished highlights showed more defensive play wasn’t a knock on the kid….. if you’re a friend or family member you’re going to have to get some thicker skin if you’re going to be following posts about him
I hear what you are saying but unless it's a kid blocking shots all over the place, highlights don't usually include defensive plays. That said, weren't there a few steals in Brock's highlights?

I hear what you are saying but unless it's a kid blocking shots all over the place, highlights don't usually include defensive plays. That said, weren't there a few steals in Brock's highlights?
thank you….. my point exactly

Reactions: BBHawk
again….. perceiving a particular players potential because of skin color is the very definition of racist

Doesn’t really offend me but

you can debate the degree or offensiveness all you want but it’s a racist statement

after all that the U of I has been through I can’t believe this needs debated…..

I don’t disagree that people are too easily offended nowadays and people go out of their way to find things to be offended by in a lot of cases but if we’re going to begin to address the racism problem we probably need to at least identify what is a racist comment

I’m and old white guy so there’s absolutely nothing about it that offends me…… just makes ole Roy look ignorant….. I’m ok with that and apparently he is too

racist​

adjective
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

rac·ist | \ ˈrā-sist also -shist \

Definition of racist​

(Entry 1 of 2)
: of, relating to, or characterized by racism: such as
a: having, reflecting, or fostering the belief that race (see RACE entry 1 sense 1a) is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
13 out of the top 100 ranked HS players are white, and only 4 out of the top 50. Statistically speaking white people aren't as good at basketball as black people. Especially when you take into consideration the fact that there are far more white people in the U.S. than black people.

Gesell and JBo really struggled to finish in the paint. Mordant and Steph Curry can do it but they.are 6'3". Morant led the NBA in paint points.
But not many smallish guys can go to the hoop.and make it in power 5 college ball.

Beg to differ on Mikey G. He was a good finisher, frequently dunked. Now other aspects of his offensive game...

It appears Brock will not have a hole in his game to exploit. You don't necessarily need to finish at the rim if you can beat the initial ball pressure and hit mid range shots.

With all due respect to the kid if he didn't have any holes in his game he'd have more offers.

Edit: Tyrese Hunter had holes in his game and he was a 5*. Nothing against him. He'll have every opportunity to succeed and quite frankly I think he'll have a great career at Iowa the same as JBo and Gesell did.

With all due respect to the kid if he didn't have any holes in his game he'd have more offers.

Edit: Tyrese Hunter had holes in his game and he was a 5*. Nothing against him. He'll have every opportunity to succeed and quite frankly I think he'll have a great career at Iowa the same as JBo and Gesell did.
yep, agreed although I don't remember Jbo at least getting these type of camp reviews IIRC. Gessel more likely but that was a long time ago. Maybe neither attended the camp circuit like Brock however he has another year to continue to improve and refine his game and will instantly make us better, great work Brock and Fran and staff!

Harding looks like a steal to me. Only downside I see is his ability to defend his man around the basket, but his quickness can make him a better on-ball defender. His quick release and quickness allow him to get his shot exceptionally well for a smaller guard.

Drawing a racially-based conclusion from statistics without looking at other factors is not fact-based reasoning.

The average CEO in the United States is a white male, ~52 years old. Does that mean that 52 year old white males are inherently the best at this?

Or in another sport, the average age, race and sex of lacrosse players in the US is a 38 year old white male. Does that mean that they are inherently the best at lacrosse?

Drawing a racially-based conclusion from statistics without looking at other factors is not fact-based reasoning.

The average CEO in the United States is a white male, ~52 years old. Does that mean that 52 year old white males are inherently the best at this?

Or in another sport, the average age, race and sex of lacrosse players in the US is a 38 year old white male. Does that mean that they are inherently the best at lacrosse?
Basketball is a meritocracy, being a CEO isn't. Why do you think black people are overwhelmingly better at basketball? Or football for that matter? I assure you it's for different reasons than why the average CEO is a middle aged white guy.

Reactions: littlez
The kid seems to have everything but size,... Really good under the radar pick who will play with a chip on his shoulder.
Yep that’s why he doesn’t have 4 or 5 stars. But he has a five star brain, and a six star work ethic that rivals Garza, and that is 80% of the battle. He certainly has the athleticism to play with and beat the best of them.

Iowa doesn’t need a single superstar, though that helps. If Iowa has 10 players who can defend well and cause damage on offense, that right there is at least a sweet 16 team.

I think we had that this year, but the chips didn’t fall like they should have and there was too much emotional let down after the big 10 tourney, and I have a sneaking suspicion that they will have those 10 players this year too. They have all the pieces they need, and the strong commits, to be a consistent Lee contending team in the big 10 four conference championships, and it consistently good to great team in the NCAA tournament, which is about all we can ask for, or all anybody could ask for except for about five superstar teams year in and year out. (Like Kentucky, but, oops, they fell on their faces even harder than Iowa did in the NCAA, so it happens to the best of them.)

Basketball is a meritocracy, being a CEO isn't. Why do you think black people are overwhelmingly better at basketball? Or football for that matter? I assure you it's for different reasons than why the average CEO is a middle aged white guy.
Why do you think that white American women are overwhelmingly better at field hockey than black women? And why are white Americans overwhelmingly better at tennis and golf? And Why do white American young people win so many more awards in FFA than black young people? And why are white males overwhelmingly better at mass shootings and insurrections?

I could go on, but as a 52-year-old white male, I should not do my civic duty and dismantle bullshit on these boards and instead be pretending I know what I’m doing as a CEO, a position that is not meritocratic in anyway,
According to the “experts” here.

As a white male, I am sorry to have to report that that is the truth. More mass shootings by white males in this country from 1982 to 2022 than from all other ethnic groups (and genders) combined. 70 of 132 or 53%, with the race/identity of 14 of them "unknown/unclear", so of the mass shootings whose shooter was identified as a member of a particular race, 60% were white males. This figure is not even proportional to the population. 27% of the population are white males. Think about that.

(If you click on above, you'll get updated data as of July 2022, and those are the figures I used above)

But back to the point: Brock is a baller, and it doesn't matter that he happens to be white. He's going to be a GREAT Hawkeye, and he's starting to get a lot of attention on the national arena for good reason.

Values, dreams, genetics

You don't think there are a lot of people out there just like you who take a look at a player in sports and make an automatic assumption as to his ability based on the color of his skin? You don't think that puts a white player at a distinct disadvantage?

Have to disagree, Dog. A typical Gessel drive to the basket resulted in him getting smacked down, missing the shot and not getting the obvious foul call. He did have a few spectacular ones though.
Or getting the call and missing one or both free throws. Love Mikey G because he was a big part of crawling out of the gutter but that kid was shaky at the line and shakier yet than with a disappearing clock.

Good God, not this crap again.
So, you say it's crap? Whether you like it or not, it's a statistical fact. That's 87 of the top 100, and 46 of the top 50. Coincidence? it's that way every single year. Why is it that lopsided? Just curious as to what you feel causes that HUGE disparity . Random chance? I know the answer, just wondering if you can see what's clearly in front of you or not.

Reactions: littlez
So, you say it's crap? Whether you like it or not, it's a statistical fact. That's 87 of the top 100, and 46 of the top 50. Coincidence? it's that way every single year. Why is it that lopsided? Just curious as to what you feel causes that HUGE disparity . Random chance? I know the answer, just wondering if you can see what's clearly in front of you or not.

Because the whites are all focused on chess, lacrosse, and insurrection.

I don't know the universe that comprised the CEO universe in Topher's Demo but I am shocked it was that low. The black population has been primarily compressed into about twenty cities, where their schools are terrible, sports are seen, quite mistakenly, as the best road out of poverty, where a shitty public job is the only job available because the crime and lack of education keeps businesses out of your neighborhood that could pay you a decent wage. Democrats have run these cities for 70 years. Why do Democrats feel the need to culturally, educationally and economically repress black Americans?

As part of ceaseless race baiting you like micro data sets for aggregation. If you are going to attribute everything to race, start with this: Self identified "black" or "African Ancestry" or "black and other races" is around 46 million out of about 330,000,000-based on 2019 and the new census has not yet been fully analyzed. That's about 14%. About 1.4% are first generation immigrants. So every other data set about black-people has to understood in the context of the real numbers. A small part of the population will, even in a randomly or racially specific distribution receive a small part of the benefits.

How many CEOs were in that study comrades? Just Fortune 500 or every publicly traded biz, or does that include closely held family businesses and small businesses? The CEO for each of those models is different. If you're a little Betsy or Henry Ford you will spend your entire life being trained to run Ford Motor Co. At the same time, these repulsive international mercantilist investment banks just hire the hottest pirate who can turn the most money in the shortest period of time-day trader mentality.

So all the real world variables, e.g., the first paragraph, aside, the white population is about 235,000,000, or 71%. So just randomly white people are 5 times more likely to capture one of the 00000000001% of jobs being a CEO of a large company. To continue my example from above, even in the kind of family business like Ford, permanent control has been a veritable War or the Roses as siblings and cousins align to take the company private. If you don't think becoming CEOs of big businesses isn't a meritocracy, you're as naive as children.

Last edited:
Reactions: DewHawk
As a white male, I am sorry to have to report that that is the truth. More mass shootings by white males in this country from 1982 to 2022 than from all other ethnic groups (and genders) combined. 70 of 132 or 53%, with the race/identity of 14 of them "unknown/unclear", so of the mass shootings whose shooter was identified as a member of a particular race, 60% were white males. This figure is not even proportional to the population. 27% of the population are white males. Think about that.

(If you click on above, you'll get updated data as of July 2022, and those are the figures I used above)

But back to the point: Brock is a baller, and it doesn't matter that he happens to be white. He's going to be a GREAT Hawkeye, and he's starting to get a lot of attention on the national arena for good reason.
So 16% of shooters were black. blacks make up 14% of total population. So they were way over represented also. Look at all the stats please. I don't remember any shooter as being female also. So sex had nothing to do with it. White shooters were 53% of total shooters, but overall they are 60% of the population. So actually underrepresented.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT