ADVERTISEMENT

Philly woman accused of using hands-free driving in crash that killed 2 people, charged with DUI homicide

seminole97

HB Legend
Jun 14, 2005
A woman accused of driving under the influence used a partially automated driving system when she struck and killed two people on a Philadelphia highway in March, authorities said.

Dimple Patel, 23, faces multiple criminal charges, including DUI homicide and involuntary manslaughter, Pennsylvania State Police announced in a release. Patel turned herself in to police on Tuesday.

The crash occurred around 3 a.m. on March 3 on I-95, police said. Two cars had pulled over to the left side of the highway, with one presumably assisting the other. As one driver exited his vehicle and the other stood nearby, Patel rear-ended one of the cars, triggering a four-vehicle collision that resulted in the deaths of both men, who were identified as Aktilek Baktybekov and Tolobek Esenbekov.

Investigators found that at the time of the crash, Patel was using Ford's BlueCruise hands-free driving feature with adaptive cruise control activated.

“No partially automated vehicle technology should ever be left alone to perform the driving tasks that are required to safely navigate the roads of the commonwealth,” the Pennsylvania State Police said in the Tuesday release. "While the advancements in technology are immense, always strive to maintain proper control of your vehicle."

Ford’s BlueCruise system allows drivers to take their hands off the steering wheel on specific highway sections while the system manages steering, braking and acceleration, using external sensors to monitor the vehicle's surroundings. A driver-facing camera is supposed to ensure that the driver remains attentive and can take control of the vehicle at any moment.

Patel's defense attorney, Zak Goldstein, told NBC News on Wednesday that the role of the BlueCruise system in the crash would be critical to the case.

Hands free driving scares the crap out of me.
I recently rode with someone that used the Ford BlueCruise while we were traveling. I am far from an expert on the subject and I certainly am not condoning drunk driving in any form, but...I am confused as to how the vehicle could possibly rear end stopped vehicles. I would be curious to learn more about how this was possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT