ADVERTISEMENT

Physical therapy school

Tenacious E

HB Legend
Dec 4, 2001
One of my kids thinks he wants to be a physical therapist. He is going to be a sophomore in college and switching majors. We are at the beginning of looking into this, and I see popular majors are exercise science, physiology, biology, kinesiology, etc. He is at Iowa, but I know enough that it is extremely unlikely that he will be able to get into that program. I see DMU in Des Moines has a program, and there are others around the state. Any thoughts on which major is best in undergrad, which schools to attend/avoid after undergrad, what to look for during summers to improve the likelihood of acceptance, or anything else you think is important to consider? TIA!

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
This doesn’t answer your question, but the biggest complaint I often hear from PT, OT and SLP’s is that, the pay isn’t worth the years in college. 7-8 years for $80k to $100k.
I have seen that too. I am thankful he is switching from criminology, which I just did not see as a fit for him, let alone good paying. He is a fitness nut and has been for several years, and he has a passion for it, so being a PT seems like it would be right up his alley. We are paying for his education so it is just time he'd be out, assuming he sticks with it and gets into a program. Maybe if he is really good at it he can make more money down the road opening his own practice.

Regarding undergrad...

For medical school entry, I'm noticing that undergrad majors don't seem to need to be quite as path specific as they used to be,.. In fact a lot of them tend to search out non-traditional applicants as a way of creating a more diverse student class.

I have seen that too. I am thankful he is switching from criminology, which I just did not see as a fit for him, let alone good paying. He is a fitness nut and has been for several years, and he has a passion for it, so being a PT seems like it would be right up his alley. We are paying for his education so it is just time he'd be out, assuming he sticks with it and gets into a program. Maybe if he is really good at it he can make more money down the road opening his own practice.
That would be the key, opening your own practice. I would also say that doing something you love is even more important. I’d be pretty happy at $100k if I was doing a job that I loved most days.

If he is getting it paid for, I think PT is a good option. I have a couple friends and family that are PTs/OTs and from a work-life balance and just happiness standpoint, they love their jobs. The biggest problem comes from students that have to pay for or take out loans for a long program that often leaves them in considerable debt for an 80 to 90k job.

Met a guy from Wahoo Ne freshman year, ended up rooming with him sophomore and junior year who is a PT out in Denver now. I'll ask him if he has any advice and let you know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenacious E
Only thing I know about PT is I have a chronic bad hip that bothers me all the time. No one can seem to figure out why. Doctor recommended going to PT, they gave me some exercises to do at home and I went back to see him maybe 3 times. Insurance barely covered any of it and I ended up paying about $700 out of pocket for 3 sessions for some exercises I could have found on google for free. Not sure how they are not making more money then reported on here unless it's because they don't get many clients. csb/

Met a guy from Wahoo Ne freshman year, ended up rooming with him sophomore and junior year who is a PT out in Denver now. I'll ask him if he has any advice and let you know.
sticker quote GIF by maknacreative

I’m almost certain St Ambrose has a program. They have a robust set of grants etc to pay for the cost of attendance.

I wanted to be a PT when I got into college and then realized after my first C in Biology, I was cooked. PT schools are usually quite selective. Hopefully he enjoys his college science courses.
That will be the thing, he did really well his first year at Iowa but he certainly was not taking coursework in any of the hard sciences, and I do not think he treated it like a serious student. Part of that might have been being in a major he didn't really like, part of it might have been immaturity, but part of it might be who he is as a student. I know he has the candlepower, but we will see if he has the "want to" to sustain excellence in big boy classes.

Last edited:
The wife (no pic) did biology undergrad at Iowa as her goal was to go to PT school as well. Didn’t get in. She is very smart, so that showed me how difficult that field must be to get in to. Ultimately shifted to radiation therapy and parlayed that into a very nice career on the academic side of her hospital.

PT still seems like a very competitive field. Good luck to your son!

One of my kids thinks he wants to be a physical therapist. He is going to be a sophomore in college and switching majors. We are at the beginning of looking into this, and I see popular majors are exercise science, physiology, biology, kinesiology, etc. He is at Iowa, but I know enough that it is extremely unlikely that he will be able to get into that program. I see DMU in Des Moines has a program, and there are others around the state. Any thoughts on which major is best in undergrad, which schools to attend/avoid after undergrad, what to look for during summers to improve the likelihood of acceptance, or anything else you think is important to consider? TIA!
What makes him think he wants to be a PT? Second question, has he considered seeing if he can follow a PT at work for a day?

Several years ago, UNI had one. Not sure if they still do. My youngest started down that path and then ultimately switched to movement & exercise science (which generally pays even less lol).

What makes him think he wants to be a PT? Second question, has he considered seeing if he can follow a PT at work for a day?
I do not think he has thought it through all the way, but he likes helping people, especially with exercise, and he loves working out. He has an interest in human anatomy, diet, etc. as well as having gone through some ortho issues himself as a teenager, so he is no stranger to this kind of thing. With that being said, this is only day 2 of his epiphany where he told us he wants to change majors, so we are kind of feeling our way through it. I agree if he decides he is serious he should shadow someone. I have some possible contacts for that to happen.

You will need a lot of shadowing hours for PT application so they should know. Also need to make good impression during shadowing because a letter of recommendation from that therapist(s) is huge.

You will need a lot of shadowing hours for PT application so they should know. Also need to make good impression during shadowing because a letter of recommendation from that therapist(s) is huge.

Yep.

My daughter is going through the med school application process right now.

It's unbelievable what she has to do. The time, stress, and money is crazy.

Got her MCAT score earlier this week, did awesome and is very competitive.

Carver College of Medicine her she comes! :)

I mean, if robots can replaces humans for PT, a robot can replace just about anyone for any job, and we are on our way to being like the humans in Walle

Yeah I just don't see it.

My son is an incoming college freshman and I think he would really enjoy PT.

He's starting out in engineering but I don't think he will like it.

Just want my kids to be happy AND make good money.

That would be the key, opening your own practice. I would also say that doing something you love is even more important. I’d be pretty happy at $100k if I was doing a job that I loved most days.
Careful…people here often think that doing a job you mostly love for not great pay makes a person unintelligent. Just something I’ve noticed on this board. 😉

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT