ADVERTISEMENT

Picked up a new snowblower today

pezhawk

HR Legend
Aug 28, 2001
Purchased it at a so far unnamed big box store that sells Ariens snowblowers on Saturday, but wasn't sure if the box would fit in the back of the explorer, so they said I could pick it up this week when I had access to a truck. They said to give them an hours notice and they would get it off the shelf, off the crate and have it at the front waiting for me.

Did that today and they called back about 20 minutes later and said it was all assembled and ready to roll, I was expecting a box. Get there we load it in get it home unload it and I go back to work. Come home and notice the things has likely been sitting outside for a couple of months, manual is all water-logged, stickers on it are sun-faded, and it had dirt and leaves on it.

I thought I had gotten a used or returned one so I took the gas cap off to see if gas had been put in it, and it hadn't but their are a few rust/oxidation spots where the gas cap screws in, definitely been sitting outside.

Should I call about this or just let it go? Kind feel like I was bait n switched and they unloaded a machine they couldn't put on the floor due to weathering. Normally I don't complain about these types of things as they seem to happen often, but this was $1000 purchase and if I was getting a outdoor floor model, they should be able to knock some money off...I'd prefer not lining up a truck to return it.

Purchased it at a so far unnamed big box store that sells Ariens snowblowers on Saturday, but wasn't sure if the box would fit in the back of the explorer, so they said I could pick it up this week when I had access to a truck. They said to give them an hours notice and they would get it off the shelf, off the crate and have it at the front waiting for me.

Did that today and they called back about 20 minutes later and said it was all assembled and ready to roll, I was expecting a box. Get there we load it in get it home unload it and I go back to work. Come home and notice the things has likely been sitting outside for a couple of months, manual is all water-logged, stickers on it are sun-faded, and it had dirt and leaves on it.

I thought I had gotten a used or returned one so I took the gas cap off to see if gas had been put in it, and it hadn't but their are a few rust/oxidation spots where the gas cap screws in, definitely been sitting outside.

Should I call about this or just let it go? Kind feel like I was bait n switched and they unloaded a machine they couldn't put on the floor due to weathering. Normally I don't complain about these types of things as they seem to happen often, but this was $1000 purchase and if I was getting a outdoor floor model, they should be able to knock some money off...I'd prefer not lining up a truck to return it.

I feel for you Pez. I'm reluctant to return things most of the times, and will often just suck it up and let it go, but from what you've posted it sounds like you have a pretty good case. It sure couldn't hurt to complain and at least see if they'll knock something off of the price. It seems like it doesn't seem likely that they wouldn't have noticed the water logged manual and sun faded stickers as well as the dirt and leaves on it.

Reactions: pezhawk
I’d call. Especially with the rust spots.

Would you keep it if they discounted it? Or you dead set on the out of the box feel?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, wasn't sure if I was being a ninny on this, generally I just don't say anything and let it bug me, but in the last year we've had a new furnace and microwave konk out less than a month in, so I've started to become a little more cranky on less than steller customer service.

Is it out of line to ask they deliver a new one in a box, and take the old one back to exchange it and not charge me the delivery fee, I live in town? Pretty sure if I have to haul it back in, I'm returning it and going elsewhere to buy one out of spite.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Thanks for the feedback, wasn't sure if I was being a ninny on this, generally I just don't say anything and let it bug me, but in the last year we've had a new furnace and microwave konk out less than a month in, so I've started to become a little more cranky on less than steller customer service.

Is it out of line to ask they deliver a new one in a box, and take the old one back to exchange it and not charge me the delivery fee, I live in town? Pretty sure if I have to haul it back in, I'm returning it and going elsewhere to buy one.
I would definitely do this. They need to deliver a new a one and take the old one off your hands. If not take the old one back for a full refund.

Also, if you are going to spend $1,000 on s snowblower buy it from a local Ace Hardware store or another place like it that sells AND services small engine equipment.

In fact, just take this one back and buy from your local store. They totally bait and switched you.

Is it out of line to ask they deliver a new one in a box, and take the old one back to exchange it and not charge me the delivery fee, I live in town? Pretty sure if I have to haul it back in, I'm returning it and going elsewhere to buy one out of spite.

No. Agreed with above. Buy from Arien’s dealer directly. Their name is tied to the quality of the brand. Box store obviously isn’t.

I’d call. Especially with the rust spots.

Would you keep it if they discounted it? Or you dead set on the out of the box feel?
I think I want a new one, or one with no rust...I'm not out to get a deal, just what I paid for.

Decide what discount you would want to keep it and then call and ask them to either bring you a new one or refund a discount for taking a floor model. Sounds like BS that they didnt tell you.

Nope.

Did you pay with a credit card? If so, then you can literally inform them their option is to deliver an unused one in the box to your door and take this back (free of charge), or you're contesting the charge 100% (and keeping the unit unless they come pick it up). And if they balk at all, then tell the CC company you tried to get them to come get it but they have been uncooperative and you want the amount refunded fully. If you used an Amex, they are quite good at resolving these things with retailers.

Selling you a "used" floor model as new is essentially illegal (they are supposed to disclose if it has been an unboxed floor/display model). So I wouldn't pull any punches on it.

Be an asshole. Make sure you aren't home if they come to pick it up if they don't work to make things right in discounting a few hundred bucks here or switching it out (your option on discount/replacement or return, not theirs).

Reactions: cigaretteman
City tractor in North Liberty has that kind of stuff, and they'll educate you on it a bit, and service it.

Called and explained the situation they agreed to have a new one delivered and take the old one back this Saturday (which assures it will be between 2:30-6) and waive the delivery fee...so we shall see...it seemed too easy...like this isn't done.

Could easily just be an overzealous sales guy. If the manager is making things right, then that's exactly what he should do. And thank him for it.

Do they have robot snow blowers like lawn mowers and vacuums?

There's an ideal for the next HROT millionaire! Deluxe model blows the snow into a snow fort for the kids!

Reactions: h-hawk
Could easily just be an overzealous sales guy. If the manager is making things right, then that's exactly what he should do. And thank him for it.
Never had to talk to a manager, the customer service lady seemed to make things right...I am always polite and thanked her, will however wage jihad on that place if this continues past Saturday.

Reactions: Joes Place
Screw that. I’d be on the phone ASAP. New is new, used is used.

You should get the new one delivered (with no delivery fee), AND get a substantial discount or store credit for your hassle. They’ll do it, just ask.

Never had to talk to a manager, the customer service lady seemed to make things right...I am always polite and thanked her, will however wage jihad on that place if this continues past Saturday.

I would just call Friday to maybe confirm delivery.

Thought I would update, Lowe's did deliver a new snow blower in a box yesterday afternoon, and took the old one back. I put it together this morning and just went and got gas and fired it up in prep for the nonsense we have coming tomorrow.

Good choice on an Ariens. Those things are expensive but awesome. I have no problem chewing through the crap and the end of the driveway after the plow comes through. And usually end up doing the same for several neighbors since most of theirs can’t get through that compacted snow/ice.

Take it back. Period. End of story. If you paid for new, demand new.

Just a note to tell you, new blower owners have noticed that the engines tend to have casting material internally, left over from the casting process in recent years. It's somewhat common. Tiny little granules of what amounts to being sand at the bottom of the oil reservoir.

I believe most owner's manuals tell you to change the oil after 5 hours use. I highly recommend doing exactly that. When you change it, drain the old oil 100%, and measure the new oil precisely (don't rely on the dipstick). Also make sure (painfully obvious advice I would assume) to make sure it actually is full of oil and the gearbox on the auger is also full of gear oil before you use it.

Your manual will have all this info.

When it comes to oil/gearbox oil and fuel...follow the manufacturer's recommendation to the letter. For the engine, full synthetic (easier to start when it's really cold out) at the correct viscosity. And don't ever use ethanol in the engine - buy ethanol free 91.

In short, use exactly what they recommend to use. Operate it exactly how they state to operate it.

Which one did you get? If you’re going to spend $1200+ on an Ariens, do it from a dealer. I bought an Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO (dealer only model) last week and they delivered to my house, filled with fuel and installed heated grips. I paid the extra $99 to get an additional 2 years added to the warranty. The local motorsports dealer will come get it and deliver free of charge as long as you own the machine.

I could have gotten it at 0% interest over 12 months too. I’d be pissed at the sheer laziness of the big box staff. You just know the manager signed off on that too.

1fLqPuI.jpg

X4Ma8Rf.jpg

First thing ya do is get rid of that candy ass explorer and buy a truck. snow blower was probably made last yr. just old inventory and was a display model.

Nope.

Did you pay with a credit card? If so, then you can literally inform them their option is to deliver an unused one in the box to your door and take this back (free of charge), or you're contesting the charge 100% (and keeping the unit unless they come pick it up). And if they balk at all, then tell the CC company you tried to get them to come get it but they have been uncooperative and you want the amount refunded fully. If you used an Amex, they are quite good at resolving these things with retailers.

Selling you a "used" floor model as new is essentially illegal (they are supposed to disclose if it has been an unboxed floor/display model). So I wouldn't pull any punches on it.

Be an asshole. Make sure you aren't home if they come to pick it up if they don't work to make things right in discounting a few hundred bucks here or switching it out (your option on discount/replacement or return, not theirs).
Yep, it sounds like you got last years floor model that has been out back stashed away.

Return it and get it from someone that is actually in the snowblower business. If you have problems with it, you're going to be posting on here again about your situation.

Reactions: SalAunese
I buy old school Ariens and rebuild them. I buy them cheap (usually non-running), fix 'em up - 4 different ones last winter. Their new owners love them. Carb rebuild, change the motor oil and gear case oil, new friction disc, thorough cleaning and fine tuning/lube, new X-Trac tires if they need them. Ready for another 40 years of work.

I own two different 1971's and a 1973. They run perfect. Start on the 1st pull, always. Built like tanks, all steel. I don't have total more than $500 in them.

New Ariens are indeed cool machines. Lights, auto-turn, hand warmers. I'd love to own one but I just don't have the need for that much snowblower.

Enjoy your spring/summer/fall's where you sweat the minute you go outside the AC :).

Believe me, I enjoy the heat, and those months are basically June through September. So four months out of the year where I can stand the heat, and eight months of beautiful weather. I'll take.

How's that 18 degrees with a bitter windchill treating you? And this is early November? Yikes. ;)

Believe me, I enjoy the heat, and those months are basically June through September. So four months out of the year where I can stand the heat, and eight months of beautiful weather. I'll take.

How's that 18 degrees with a bitter windchill treating you? And this is early November? Yikes. ;)
I don't mind the cold yet, I just remember spending parts of a couple of summers in Scottsdale and it was miserable.

Which one did you get? If you’re going to spend $1200+ on an Ariens, do it from a dealer. I bought an Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO (dealer only model) last week and they delivered to my house, filled with fuel and installed heated grips. I paid the extra $99 to get an additional 2 years added to the warranty. The local motorsports dealer will come get it and deliver free of charge as long as you own the machine.

I could have gotten it at 0% interest over 12 months too. I’d be pissed at the sheer laziness of the big box staff. You just know the manager signed off on that too.

1fLqPuI.jpg

X4Ma8Rf.jpg
I got the compact 24"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT