ADVERTISEMENT

Pieces are coming together for the offense

Dec 26, 2002
Our offense has always been offensive line dependent, We want to be able to run the ball even when the opponent knows it's coming. This hasn't been the case recently for a number of reasons.
1) Coach Polasek is a good coach but O-line was not his wheelhouse. Coach Barnett is an O-line coach through and through. Improvement is coming.
2) Depth. Injuries can derail a running game without quality depth. Many of our subs simply weren't ready to play at this level yet.
3) Recruiting. I believe Barnett is partially responsible for improved O-line recruiting recently. If this can continue, the run game will no longer hold us back.
4) Consistency. Breakdowns in the line mean negative yards or sacks and are drive killers. I believe this will be happening less in the future because of items 1-3.

Looking at our current roster I suspect we are maybe a year away from a high level O-line. Many on here blame Brian F for our offensive shortcomings. I do not. We have running backs that are more powerful and a QB that is adequate if he has time to throw. If the O-line could possibly come together this year.....it could be special.

Until I see the kind of perfect pocket that some of the great iowa OLs could consistently create and hold for five full seconds against top B10 competition, I’ll just hope.

Reactions: amahawk
Our offense has always been offensive line dependent, We want to be able to run the ball even when the opponent knows it's coming. This hasn't been the case recently for a number of reasons.
1) Coach Polasek is a good coach but O-line was not his wheelhouse. Coach Barnett is an O-line coach through and through. Improvement is coming.
2) Depth. Injuries can derail a running game without quality depth. Many of our subs simply weren't ready to play at this level yet.
3) Recruiting. I believe Barnett is partially responsible for improved O-line recruiting recently. If this can continue, the run game will no longer hold us back.
4) Consistency. Breakdowns in the line mean negative yards or sacks and are drive killers. I believe this will be happening less in the future because of items 1-3.

Looking at our current roster I suspect we are maybe a year away from a high level O-line. Many on here blame Brian F for our offensive shortcomings. I do not. We have running backs that are more powerful and a QB that is adequate if he has time to throw. If the O-line could possibly come together this year.....it could be special.
i can be persuaded to agree but are you only projecting 2+ years out or have you heard/seen something that translates to this upcoming season?

"Pieces are coming together for the offense"​

------------------------You mean we're switching to the SPREAD?!?!?! COOL!!!

Reactions: not_mantiteo
You’re talking about the offense? It’s all about the QB
I disagree……I’ve seen some avg. QB’s benefit from some great O-lines and some good QB’s look like crap with bad O-lines! As soon as everyone realizes football is a team sport and it takes everyone playing flawlessly to win at this level. There is not one piece of the offense that shouldnt see better play this year. Then and only then will the group be better …..that said ….. I’m looking forward to big things this season!

I disagree……I’ve seen some avg. QB’s benefit from some great O-lines and some good QB’s look like crap with bad O-lines! As soon as everyone realizes football is a team sport and it takes everyone playing flawlessly to win at this level. There is not one piece of the offense that shouldnt see better play this year. Then and only then will the group be better …..that said ….. I’m looking forward to big things this season!
Look at the Kentucky game. Oline was fantastic. We averaged almost 6 ypc. Petras was almost never under pressure. 0 sacks. But he still badly missed some crucial throws, and threw 3 picks. His play was the game.

BF apologists looking for anything else to blame for the sh*tty O...

contortion-contortionist.gif

Last edited:
Look at the Kentucky game. Oline was fantastic. We averaged almost 6 ypc. Petras was almost never under pressure. 0 sacks. But he still badly missed some crucial throws, and threw 3 picks. His play was the game.
To be fair, the pick before half was meaningless as it was a Hail Mary. The pick at the end was atrocious though.

Reactions: iowaflash
Brian Ferentz offense ranks if I remember seeing right have been ranked below or around what Greg Davis offense was. Spin it any way you want but the offense has been putrid under his watch, if the run game comes together their is hope but hopefully history does not repeat.

Petras and BF aren't to blame for anything bro ;)

Think most people what ever is said during Fall Camp are in the we will believe it when we see mindset until the Sept. opener. I think running game with the Williams style will be more beneficial next season. One thing I totally agree with you is our line in the next few years is going to be nasty. Lot of young talent where depending on how things shake up with the other G spot opposite of Colby we could be starting 4 underclassman this season. Add Procter next year along with young guys like Stephens and Davidkov and the future looks bright on the OL.

So your saying the o-line did good but the QB, receivers played badly! So we agree …….all aspects of the game must play well to win at that level!

Really have to be able to open some holes for the RBs , if that becomes an area of concern for the other teams D it becomes a lot easier to throw the ball. If we have to rely on our passing game it will be a disappointing year

Reactions: Buffalo43
2 of the Int's he was under quite a bit of pressure & one he threw up for grabs on 3rd down which was basically a punt. Not saying he was stellar, but saying he wasn't under pressure is not correct.

Optimism???? That’s refreshing

Reactions: kceasthawk and F5n5
2 of the Int's he was under quite a bit of pressure & one he threw up for grabs on 3rd down which was basically a punt. Not saying he was stellar, but saying he wasn't under pressure is not correct.
He had 1 passing TD in the last 8 games of the season. That is pathetic any way you look at it. How many qbs aren’t under pressure? If he had any consistency at all, and wasn’t nailed to the ground, then opposing defenses would have to respect him, but there is literally no reason for them to not stack the box and come after him. He is not even an average qb, and he isn’t all of a sudden going to get it together his 5th year.

We still had a ten-win season last year in spite of all the issues on offense. The regular season schedule is more daunting this year but I still believe a 10-11 win season is possible. I believe the offensive line and the running game will be better in 2022. Will that make Petras a better QB? It certainly could. In any event, now is the time to turn our collective focus on the upcoming season which is just around the corner. All the debates on the planet will not change the outcome from last year. Let us move ahead to this year and get behind our Hawkeyes!

He had 1 passing TD in the last 8 games of the season. That is pathetic any way you look at it. How many qbs aren’t under pressure? If he had any consistency at all, and wasn’t nailed to the ground, then opposing defenses would have to respect him, but there is literally no reason for them to not stack the box and come after him. He is not even an average qb, and he isn’t all of a sudden going to get it together his 5th year.
Hey i wasn't sticking up for Petras, he needs to be better.

I was simply responding to a post that someone stated that he wasn't under pressure when he threw his bowl game INT's & that was not true.

But thanks for the "pathetic" comment, try reading a little more carefully.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Last year’s offensive shortcomings were the combo of a less than stellar line combined with the complete lack of mobility from Spencer. Every pocket will break down from time to time. I hope Spencer has been working on his footwork. You don’t have to be a great athlete (see Tom Brady) to maneuver in the pocket and avoid sacks. Iowa’s offense has never and probably never will be able to overcome 2nd and long or 3rd and long.

Hey i wasn't sticking up for Petras, he needs to be better.

I was simply responding to a post that someone stated that he wasn't under pressure when he threw his bowl game INT's & that was not true.

But thanks for the "pathetic" comment, try reading a little more carefully.
His point is (was) that people were saying if Petras had a better line, if we were able to run the ball, etc. We had that for the majority of the bowl game. 6 yards a carry. Every SEC team has big physical guys on the defensive line. Our o line was outstanding and physical in that bowl game. You're QB is going to take some hits. Can't put a practice jersey on him. I'm sorry but this whole clean pocket thing is ridiculous. If you're line is a sieve that's one thing. And our o line was not great during the season. It was very good in the bowl game and when we needed a few 1st downs and needed to score more than 17 pts we could not. At some point in the season your QB needs to win you a game. Possibly even 2 games when you're playing a team that's just as good or better than you. He's a 3rd year guy. It's just time.

the offense had its moments last year...
the big play late in the Penn State game was a great call and a great pass by Spencer Petras to Nico Ragaini.

we're gonna have more big moments in 2022... I'm looking forward to it

the great thing about this time of the year... beings 16 days away from the first game of the season.. nobody knows whats going to happen.

Per the radio this morning: Gavin Williams going in for mri on hamstring I believe, and Keegan J is out but not for the same reason he was out last year. Sounded optimistic on both returning

ADVERTISEMENT