ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Fleck comments on Kirk, Iowa, Floyd, Kinnick at Night (not the poster on here!), the Wave

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
A lot of good stuff here.

From the St Paul Pioneer Press:

Iowa’s timeouts in 2020 win over Gophers ‘didn’t offend me one bit,” P.J. Fleck said

By ANDY GREDER | agreder@pioneerpress.com |
St Paul Pioneer Press
July 23, 2021

INDIANAPOLIS — Last November, P.J. Fleck sidestepped a question about Kirk Ferentz calling three straight timeouts at the end of the Hawkeyes’ 35-7 blowout win over the Gophers.

Trailing 35-0 with 19 seconds left, Minnesota’s coach called a timeout as the Gophers tried to stave off a shutout. Ferentz followed that up by calling all three of his timeouts in a row. It was quite a statement from the usually mild-mannered Iowa coach.

“We figured we’d take Floyd with us and leave the timeouts here,” Ferentz said postgame. That quote went viral immediately, and a version of it just might appear on black-and-gold T-shirts when Minnesota travels to Iowa City for a Nov. 13 rematch.

In his news conference after last year’s game, Fleck was tight-lipped. “They called three timeouts; I have no idea what happened,” he said.

At Big Ten Media Days on Thursday, Fleck was asked to reflect on that incident last fall. He was direct this time, returning to his loquacious self.

“It’s OK. That doesn’t affect me one bit,” Fleck said. “You know what: We haven’t beat them. They can do what they want to do. They have Floyd of Rosedale. They have the pig. They have something that we really want, that they have in their trophy case. But the timeout thing does not bother me one bit. How (Ferentz) said it doesn’t bother me one bit. That’s rivalries. I have a ton of respect for him, his program, the University of Iowa.”

Ferentz shed more light on his string of timeouts on Friday. His first response was that it was strategic in that Minnesota presented a matchup the Hawkeyes didn’t like. He was then asked if it was anything more than that.

“The first one was a curious time to call one, so I figured I would do something maybe more curious,” Ferentz said. “Sometimes I act immaturely. I don’t know if I’m proud of it. I don’t know. One of those spur-of-the-moment things. You get into your 60s, you get a little impulsive every now and then.”

Fleck and Jim Harbaugh had at least one thing in common Thursday: Both were asked about their poor records against their rivals. But they differed in how they answered.

On his 0-5 record against Ohio State, the Michigan coach said: “I’m as enthusiastic, excited as I ever am, always am, even more, to have at it, to win the championship, to beat Ohio, your hometown there,” he said to a reporter who covers the Buckeyes. “Our rival is Michigan State, everybody, that’s what we want to do. And we’re going to do it or die trying.”

Fleck, who is 0-4 against Iowa and 1-3 versus Wisconsin, didn’t have trouble saying the names of his rivals as he continued to answer the question about the Hawkeyes game a year ago.

“I’ve been asked, what’s the toughest environment you’ve ever played in or coached in,” Fleck added. “I said the University of Iowa at night. I said that is the hardest environment. … (Fans) are all up all the time. It’s not like this side over here sits down and they’ve had season tickets for 40 years and they are quiet. They expect that. Everybody is loud and they are right on top of you. And that is our rival I’m talking about. I’m not afraid to admit that. I’m not going to not say that because they are our rival.”

Fleck wasn’t done. Given his own time volunteering with the University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s Hospital, he touched on Iowa’s tradition at Kinnick Stadium. At the end of the first quarter, they wave to the patients and families in the windows of children’s hospital across the street.

“My favorite tradition is the wave … and that is their tradition,” Fleck continued. “I’m a college football person and fan at heart. I love it and I love those things and I love the rivalries. I have a ton of respect for the Iowa program, and that doesn’t bother me one bit. He can use his timeouts any way he wants to use his timeouts. That didn’t offend me one bit.”

In a separate interview Thursday, Fleck was asked how his 1-7 combined mark against Wisconsin and Iowa motivates him. The one win against the Badgers came in 2018 at Camp Randall Stadium; it ended a 15-year drought in the Battle for Paul Bunyan’s Axe.

“We’ve had some close games with (Iowa) and didn’t find a way to win, and some close games with Wisconsin and found one way to win and lost the others,” Fleck said. “But I think our players are embracing their past to create their future. They are learning from the losing of the rivalry games and how that feels to actually go do it. The good thing is we do have one. We have that one that hadn’t been done in 15 years. We got that one, but there is a process to that, being able to flip that at some point. We work really hard to win every single game we play, rivalries are no different, and we are going to continue to focus on that.”

Nebraska isn’t considered a rivalry game for Minnesota, and Fleck is 2-1 versus Cornhuskers coach Scott Frost.

Fleck was the first of seven coaches to take the main podium inside Lucas Oil Stadium. He shared the program’s new acronym: TGIF, “being together, being grateful, having an identity, and focusing on each other.”

Maryland’s Mike Locksley was next and shared his own acronym, BCE, “no (expletive), complaining, or excuses.”

Nebraska’s Scott Frost followed them, and was asked if he has a mantra. “I’m not into sloganeering. If the players need me to motivate them all the time or come up with a unique slogan to get them to play harder, I probably don’t have the right players,” he said. “I played for a coach at Nebraska in Coach (Tom) Osborne. He didn’t need all the sayings and slogans, he just taught us the right way to do things and we went to work.”

AP21203547293722.jpg

Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck spoke during Big Ten Media Days on Thursday, July 22, 2021, at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/Doug McSchooler)

You still get the idea Fleck doesn’t fully understand why Kirk used them. Like he’s still flabbergasted.

Instead of just laughing about it now and saying, “yeah, I probably got him a little riled up using that first one” he keeps saying weird shit like “I don’t care how he uses them… doesn’t bother me one bit”.

The guy is a clown and douchebag of the highest degree.

Fleck has been in Gopherland for now his 5th season and had had ONE good season. A winning percentage <.600.

With all the personal promotion, one would think he feels pressure to win with this season's veteran team. The trophy case is kinda empty at the Gopher football complex.

THE only credit I’ll give Fleck & the state of Minnesota, Campbell & the Ames area, & Flop & the state of Nebraska is that THEY all know that they’re Iowa’s b*tches.

It’s humbling to show that on your face during press conferences.

Chryst & the state of Wisconsin is a loss in Madison away from joining that list.

Michigan is a lifetime addition on the list as well.

Last edited:
Wasn't Fleck the coach that was super adamant about his players waving to the children's hospital? Didn't he lose a child or have a very sick child? I can't seem to recall but I thought I heard that.

• Haha
Reactions: ridethed5
Wasn't Fleck the coach that was super adamant about his players waving to the children's hospital? Didn't he lose a child or have a very sick child? I can't seem to recall but I thought I heard that.
Yes, he and his first wife lost a son to a heart condition. Like many couples in that situation, the marriage did not survive.

I know people make jokes about his stripper-looking wife, or say he dumped his wife, or whatever. But what he and his first wife experienced has taken apart many a marriage, too many. Until any of us have been there, we should probably give the guy his due for how he has taken that experience and tried to enrich and improve the outlook of OTHER people's lives, particularly the lives of children.

Fleck is a strange animal. He can come off like a complete douche sometimes and other times he seems very sincere and decent.

I like Fleck for the Gophers because they've tried everything else and can't find a way to be a good program. I would never want a coach like him coaching the Hawks. He seems like a decent guy, but he tries too hard with his rah rah stuff and it looks ridiculous. I was at Cantebury Park a few years ago when Fleck embarrassed himself with this goofy "row the boat" stunt while "Rock The Boat" played with the "our love is like a ship on the ocean" lyrics. I felt bad for the guy at how stupid he looked.

gopher-1.gif
gopher-day-7-23-17-006.jpg

• Haha
I like Fleck for the Gophers because they've tried everything else and can't find a way to be a good program. I would never want a coach like him coaching the Hawks. He seems like a decent guy, but he tries too hard with his rah rah stuff and it looks ridiculous. I was at Cantebury Park a few years ago when Fleck embarrassed himself with this goofy "row the boat" stunt while "Rock The Boat" played with the "our love is like a ship on the ocean" lyrics. I felt bad for the guy at how stupid he looked.

gopher-1.gif
gopher-day-7-23-17-006.jpg
Shameless promoter (ok, attention whore). I think somebody told him the program needed an injection of enthusiasm and he took the green light a little too far.

• Haha
Fleck moved up a notch in my book with his comments on the timeouts, respect for the program, our coach, our fans and Kinnick Stadium. He's done some douchey stuff for sure, but maybe he is maturing.

At 72, after a stroke, the same problems exist, the only other issue is I’m much slower on my trip to the john. It makes every time an adventure.

ADVERTISEMENT