ADVERTISEMENT

Place Kicker

nu2u

HR Legend
Aug 10, 2006
What a valuable weapon Iowa has had for more than a decade running. Steady, reliable, and pressure tested kickers - we've been spoiled if you conisder the rest of the league over the same span of time.

With Iowa's penchant for close score contests (I'm looking at you Offense), it seems almost inevitable that Iowa's PK will play a major role in the outcome of at least couple games this year .... a few key FGs (another game winner?) may be the difference between say 8-4 and 10-2 ...who knows?

What do we know about the potential of So. Aaron Blom, currently listed as the startng PK, and back-up tF Drew Stevens?

Here are a few game winning FGs over the years.....

Good question. Heard very little so far on who’s next to step in the shoes of very consistent place kicking of Duncan and Shudak in recent years…hope the next guy will do a lot more PAT’s than be relied on for many long FG’s.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08 and nu2u
a few podcasts have already talked about expectations for Drew Stevens to come out as the starting kicker. Sounds like he has plenty of upside, but I'm sure with any freshmen kickers there will be some hiccups.

I would predict we will lose one game this fall because of place kicking. We've been solid for many years, but green in 2022.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Who were the announcers on the last kick above? They were not the network announcers, clearly.

Reactions: Ree4
Also from the spring game...make sure Tory stays healthy! Back up punter not so impressive that day. Hopefully just a bad day.

IN the KF era, it seems like Iowa's record in walk-off winners vs. losers (or say, less than 10 seconds) is exceptional. I trust KF & Co to find another guy that can make the big kicks.
For sure. Stevens arrives with some acclaim. I'm hoping to hear more about Blom since he appears to be the guy heading into Fall camp.

Saw both at the Spring Game/Practice. Both have strong legs but they both had some directional issues that day (It was a bit windy). Distance will not be an issue....have to see how they hold up in game pressure.
Did either of them get iced? :)

Let's not kick field goals and just go for it 100%.
I know that's tongue-in-cheek but......

Is the commitment to getting a first down as strong if the fallback of a FG wasn't so convenient?

Sorta of like on 3rd and 6, is the commitment to throw the ball 6+ yards as strong if 4 yards wasn't a more sure completion? (but 1st down failure).

The lack of aggressive offensive mentality manifests itself in a myriad of ways.

There has been a lot out there already. Bruce and Wetjen have been mentioned, along with some of the D Backs (including DeJean and X, if he’s ready).
I know. I assume theyll continue competing through August

I doubt they'll be 1st team all conf but whoever wins the job should do a good job

Reactions: BBHawk
I'm happy that they are giving X and Cooper a chance, too. Both are big, strong, and extremely fast.

I'm all in favor of letting exactly these types of guys have a shot. Cooper is a little used reciever that can make an impact on the game. Xavier (who I drove by today on his way into practice... bigger than I thought) is that impact freshman who could really give a spark.

Reactions: F5n5
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT