ADVERTISEMENT

Plan B at PG

Are there two or three PGs who Iowa still has a real shot at in the 2019 class?

I suspect we are done with 2019 unless someone magically falls into our laps. IMO, we will ride through next year with with JBo and Connor and focus on the 2020 class for a PG. I am hopeful if we have success this year and next, the prospect of A TON of playing time on a winner will be appealing to one of these upper tier kids.

Reactions: mick82
Hmmmmm where have I heard this plan before?

I’m not saying I agree with it, but I think it’s likely. If you look at our offer list, we only have shooting guards left. While not impossible, I just doubt other PGs are going to emerge for the 2019 class, at least PGs that can make a significant impact. I would love to be wrong.

I say we take a late bloomer for a PG or a Tyreke like player. Someone who is quick, with Hopefully good D, has a decent shot and can learn to be an unselfish player. We will(do) need an athletic PG...

They will not be a deter any other PG from coming in, as they are not a 4-5 star player. Plus they won't have even played a game, before the 2020 kid signs...

At the worst we have a backup PG or they leave. At the best, we could get lucky and find a gem.

We desperately need some diamond in the rough kid who originally ended up at a MAC or FCS school, but who has now blossomed into a legit high major talent to transfer in.

I think we are past plan B, maybe X, Y, and Z.
Okay, that made me laugh ... It's sad to think it but as an Iowa fan ... you sure but can't help feel that way sometimes ... Maybe Fran needs to call Prohm and ask him what it takes to bring in a good PG ...

Okay, that made me laugh ... It's sad to think it but as an Iowa fan ... you sure but can't help feel that way sometimes ... Maybe Fran needs to call Prohm and ask him what it takes to bring in a good PG ...

I don't know that what Fran considers are the qualities of a "good point guard" are the same as his coaching counterparts. Sure, he's gone after the likes of Ullis and Carton. But when it comes to not getting them, his fallbacks aren't similar skill set. So now his roster has a relatively slow, small 3 point marksman who can't take opponents off the bounce as a starter. Probable back up a 6'5", slow player who is also no threat to drive. And a 6'7" string bean, who so far hasn't shown to be a slasher, as the third option. So if you go by how Fran's recruited at PG, quickness/lateral movement/drive to the hole or dish are not high on his list of qualifications at point.

I thought Iowa was looking at a kid from new York or has that ship sailed?

The pg’s for next year are already on the team now. There will not be a 2019 pg recruit

I was asking about recruits in Carton's class who will be HS seniors this fall. Seems like there should still be some options, although they might be a step or two down from Carton.
Not intending to be snarky.

Is it likely that a nearly 60 year old coach in his 9th season at a school is going to take a different approach?
It's hard to see that happening.

Sure there are options. History tells us that the chances any of those close but not quite as good athletic, quick, drive and dish PGs end up at Iowa is low. If you watch enough games you'll see them tearing it up at a non power conference school.

Reactions: jasonrann

I don't know that what Fran considers are the qualities of a "good point guard" are the same as his coaching counterparts. Sure, he's gone after the likes of Ullis and Carton. But when it comes to not getting them, his fallbacks aren't similar skill set. So now his roster has a relatively slow, small 3 point marksman who can't take opponents off the bounce as a starter. Probable back up a 6'5", slow player who is also no threat to drive. And a 6'7" string bean, who so far hasn't shown to be a slasher, as the third option. So if you go by how Fran's recruited at PG, quickness/lateral movement/drive to the hole or dish are not high on his list of qualifications at point.
j Bo is not slow

I'm so sick of this.

It's all going to fall on Weiskamp to be the shot creator for this team now which is not fair.

Frans competence is really in question with the way he has recruited so many bigs and so few legitimate guards.

I just dont see how you can't take a gamble on Locure at this point but I'm sure there will be some tall tweener that will eventually pop up that Fran wont be able to resist.

Not intending to be snarky.

Is it likely that a nearly 60 year old coach in his 9th season at a school is going to take a different approach?
It's hard to see that happening.

Sure there are options. History tells us that the chances any of those close but not quite as good athletic, quick, drive and dish PGs end up at Iowa is low. If you watch enough games you'll see them tearing it up at a non power conference school.

Yup, tearing us up!

If Iowa takes a PG, all it’s focus now should be on Andre Gordon from Ohio. 6’2 guard that actually plays defense.

Thanks for sharing. Hard to tell a lot from one short tape.Gordon seems like a competitor with decent athleticism, but isn't ultra quick. I would like to get someone who plays with some attitude and has the quickness to play tough on-ball defense against the opponent's PG. We might be able to play on the offensive end with ball handling by committee, if we play 3 perimeter players with decent ball skills.

HawkLogic is spot on! Fran is all in on Connor. He looks like a really good player, but not a difference-maker. I hope I am wrong though.

A good point guard doesn't just score and distribute the ball. He has to play defense. That's why so many of us are wishing for a point guard recruit that can play both offense and defense, shut his guy down one on one.

Reactions: THEMONSTER
A good point guard doesn't just score and distribute the ball. He has to play defense. That's why so many of us are wishing for a point guard recruit that can play both offense and defense, shut his guy down one on one.

Does Tyreke shut people down in the Capital League?

Anyone in DM check that league out by chance...?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT