ADVERTISEMENT

Plan B at PG

I don't know if he got the idea of getting rid of the ball quickly playing baseball, but last year in the time he was able to play, he didn't spend much time dribbling around to find someone. He dished it pretty quickly I thought. And his passing looked good.

He probably understands basketball from growing up around basketball.

Sorry, the baseball thing just seemed funny to me.

Reactions: unIowa
I don't know that what Fran considers are the qualities of a "good point guard" are the same as his coaching counterparts. Sure, he's gone after the likes of Ullis and Carton. But when it comes to not getting them, his fallbacks aren't similar skill set. So now his roster has a relatively slow, small 3 point marksman who can't take opponents off the bounce as a starter. Probable back up a 6'5", slow player who is also no threat to drive. And a 6'7" string bean, who so far hasn't shown to be a slasher, as the third option. So if you go by how Fran's recruited at PG, quickness/lateral movement/drive to the hole or dish are not high on his list of qualifications at point.

Excellent post.

Jbo a combo..But a all american long range shooter at buzzer time.And ball handling skills good. Passing ect but not great defender of taller quicker guards.Big time player overall.A HAWK...
When you look at the current Hawk BB team, the sum is LESS than its parts. You look at our current players, like Cook and JBo, and you see big-time individual talent. You look at the team performance, and you wonder what the hell is wrong. The only "glue" player on the team is Baer, and last year he spent much of his time on the court looking lost what to do. I hope Fran and the players figure out how to be a much better team this year.

Broken record, but when you don't have PG who can attack off the bounce, it makes offense a struggle. Not a dig at Bohannon-- the kid is an elite shooter who gets 110% out of his ability, but he is not an dribble drive threat. Too much stagnation on offense coupled with guys deferring to Bohannon with 10 or less on the shot clock. Moss needs to show up in contested games vs. sitting next to Fran watching.

I think Fran was caught off guard at the team's performance last year. He expected the sum of those parts to add up to a big number, and they didn't... No real team leader, and no one to dig them out with no Jok. His game plan didn't work, and when he tried to adapt, it only went worse. Couple that with major rotations and no continuity, and that spelled disaster.

This year he knows what he has and can formulate better strategies from that. I actually think it was a learning experience for Fran. One that he is still learning from. Hopefully it works. Whatever it is he has planned as a fix.

I believe that we will be better off from what happened last year. Fran really needed to learn to work on his team's defense. And the teacher spanked his arse with the ruler for not paying attention.

Glad that they are really focusing in on defense. Long overdue. But It will pay great dividends. As our offense was good. And it will definitely be better having improved wings(I am counting on this!), and more experience. I am expecting major improvement.

One other lesson I hope Fran has learned - recruit more guards! We will see....

Go Hawks!

When you look at the current Hawk BB team, the sum is LESS than its parts. You look at our current players, like Cook and JBo, and you see big-time individual talent. You look at the team performance, and you wonder what the hell is wrong. The only "glue" player on the team is Baer, and last year he spent much of his time on the court looking lost what to do. I hope Fran and the players figure out how to be a much better team this year.

Last edited:
I think Fran was caught off guard at the teams performance last year. He expected the sum or those parts to add up to a big number, and they didn't... No real team leader, and no one to dig them out with no Jok. His game plan didn't work, and when he tried to adapt, it only went worse. Couple that with major rotations and no continuity, and that spelled disaster.

This year he knows what he has and can formulate better strategies from that. I actually think it was a learning experience for Fran. One that he is still learning from. Hopefully it works. Whatever it is he has planned as a fix.

I believe that we will be better off from what happened last year. Fran really needed to learn to work on his team's defense. And the teacher spanked his arse with the ruler for not paying attention.

Glad that they are really focusing in on defense. Long overdue. But It will pay great dividends. As our offense was good. And it will definitely be better having a improved wings(I am counting on this!), and more experience. I am expecting major improvement.

Go Hawks!

Defense is a culture, it’s not something you just implement and start doing, unless you shake up the staff(like John Beilein bringing in a defensive assistant). Iowa did nothing staff wise. I hope it works, but I’ll remain skeptical until I see Iowa really grind on the defensive end and get stops for an entire season.

Defense is a culture, it’s not something you just implement and start doing, unless you shake up the staff(like John Beilein bringing in a defensive assistant). Iowa did nothing staff wise. I hope it works, but I’ll remain skeptical until I see Iowa really grind on the defensive end and get stops for an entire season.
Rapid GROWTH ON DEFENSE and QUALITY COMMUNICATION between staff and Players.Again Fran"all in" huh? Starting from a Corner.But forward is IN Front yes?

I think Fran was caught off guard at the teams performance last year. He expected the sum or those parts to add up to a big number, and they didn't... No real team leader, and no one to dig them out with no Jok. His game plan didn't work, and when he tried to adapt, it only went worse. Couple that with major rotations and no continuity, and that spelled disaster.

Glad that they are really focusing in on defense. Long overdue. But It will pay great dividends. As our offense was good. And it will definitely be better having a improved wings(I am counting on this!), and more experience. I am expecting major improvement.

Go Hawks!

I hope what he learned by being sliced and diced all year is that perimeter quickness is paramount in modern basketball for all spots on the floor.

I don't know if they can. A few of the players should definitely be much better than they are ( Cook,Moss) but some of them are going to have a difficult time ever being good defenders.

We should know early on if there's a particular pattern showing up, especially on the defensive end. If I see a similarity to what happened last year early on, when it comes to defense, why, "I'll just hang my head and cry".

We should know early on if there's a particular pattern showing up, especially on the defensive end. If I see a similarity to what happened last year early on, when it comes to defense, why, "I'll just hang my head and cry".

Same here! I cannot handle another looong season like last year

Reactions: Kurt Warner
I agree very much with this assesment.
The biggest thing that bothers me is fans keep saying all these things that are on Fran. Well he certainly can be better and its fair and reasonable to expect him to change but the core of what you are describing is things that only the players can control.
No one can yell loud enough, be mean enough, teach enough or plan enough to overcome that obstacle.
I felt as though there were even times where Fran tried to yank a guy for performance and get the next guy in but nothing seemed to change no matter who it was.
I am quite convinced that there is much more talent on this team that what came out last year but if they approach things the same as last the results wont change regardless of what Fram does. I do know that if it plays out the same anyone looking to go pro might as well call Europe right away because the NBA wont have a roster spot for players with that kind of approach to the game. Unless they are Lebron or MJ level.

I really think one big problem from last year was expecting to much from younger players. I fully expect a huge rebound year and from all I've heard is that the defense will be improved dramatically. There is a ton of talent and finally some maturity. That was what was missing last year along with a couple injuries that might have added a couple more wins if avoided. I'm going on record that we'll be in the top 5 in the big and tourney bound. I expect massive improvement and a continuation of it over the next 3 years.

Yeah, last year, we as fans had high expectations in the preseason when the media did a great job of putting bees in all of our bonnets. Unfortunately they were correct. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for at least a tier 2 finish and dancing to boot.

I’m also hopeful the Hawks turn it around! Cook and Moss should have a chance to be great after evaluations. If they can get it going then I think JoBo will get it going because of their success. That also means on the defensive side of the game!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT