ADVERTISEMENT

Play both Murrays together.

No offense to Mulvey, but a lot of breakdowns started happening when he and Ash came in.

I don’t think either Mulvey or Josh are in the top 10 of the rotation. He’s mostly been downplaying them and talking about small ball.

He’s gone with the hockey line shift change through 2 games and I hope he starts mixing some of the bench with the starters (like your suggestion).

Reactions: mickv
No offense to Mulvey, but a lot of breakdowns started happening when he and Ash came in.

I don’t think either Mulvey or Josh are in the top 10 of the rotation. He’s mostly been downplaying them and talking about small ball.

He’s gone with the hockey line shift change through 2 games and I hope he starts mixing some of the bench with the starters (like your suggestion).
Id actually prefer Kris start and both play as much as possible.

Kris will be the second best player on the team sooner than later.

I wouldn’t disagree. Kris provides more of a physical presence with his length and he is a confident shooter. I don’t think his handles are as good as his brother, but at the 5 that wouldn’t matter.

A frontline of the Murray’s and Patrick has serious defensive potential (shot-blocking) and serious offensive potential.

Filip can move his feet, but doesn’t provide the same things. He’s probably going to have do more shooting wise to justify starting over Kris.

I really like a lineup of Toussaint, Bohannon, Pat, Kris, Keegan, and they should definitely log minutes together, but I think you have to bring Kris off the bench to keep athleticism in our front court with the second team. A front court of Rebraca and Connor is a scary proposition for both defensive and rebounding purposes

I really like a lineup of Toussaint, Bohannon, Pat, Kris, Keegan, and they should definitely log minutes together, but I think you have to bring Kris off the bench to keep athleticism in our front court with the second team. A front court of Rebraca and Connor is a scary proposition for both defensive and rebounding purposes
Yeah, its frustrating because Connor doesn't actually need to be on the court at all but we all know he will.

The starters plus Kris, Ulis, Perkins and Sandfort is what I would try to keep it to if it were me.

depending on matchups we probably will see them together at times, but in reality I like them spelling each other as that way we always have a Murray on the court ;)

let's see how the next 5 games go, I think we're going to see other guys step up. Rebracca hasn't really shown his abilities yet, and he has some good abilities and he's very solid screener and you need that to free Keegan, Patrick, Jbo, etc.... I think that's why right now we seem to see Connor come in for Rebracca as he too is very good screener.

Yeah, its frustrating because Connor doesn't actually need to be on the court at all but we all know he will.

The starters plus Kris, Ulis, Perkins and Sandfort is what I would try to keep it to if it were me.
Connor was the leading rebounder for Iowa in 14 minutes played. He is a leader on the court and helps keep younger guys calm - there were multiple shots in the game of him talking to a younger guy and giving him direction. He sets screens, makes smart decisions, etc. This is all stuff that has been beaten to death over the years. He is not a scorer and he is limited offensively but there are other parts of the game where he is valuable. He’s not starting anymore and he probably shouldn’t play more than 15 or so minutes a game. But stop with the BS. You need guys willing - and able - to do little things. Perkins hasn’t looked too good against Slippery Rock or Longwood but nobody is saying he shouldn’t be playing - as they shouldn’t.

I agree with this. When their playing time overlaps, it will be great. However, if their time together is limited because of the pace of the game (or whatever reason), it is nice to know that we can have at least one of them on the court at all times.

Connor was the leading rebounder for Iowa in 14 minutes played. He is a leader on the court and helps keep younger guys calm - there were multiple shots in the game of him talking to a younger guy and giving him direction. He sets screens, makes smart decisions, etc. This is all stuff that has been beaten to death over the years. He is not a scorer and he is limited offensively but there are other parts of the game where he is valuable. He’s not starting anymore and he probably shouldn’t play more than 15 or so minutes a game. But stop with the BS. You need guys willing - and able - to do little things. Perkins hasn’t looked too good against Slippery Rock or Longwood but nobody is saying he shouldn’t be playing - as they shouldn’t.
I'm saying Perkins shouldn't be playing. He has a long way to go if he wants to be in games that aren't blowouts. Right now I'd prefer Sandfort get extra minutes than see Perkins do something silly. Hopefully he steps it up soon!

Count me out on Patrick being a plus defender. He plays more likw 6'6" on defense and still gets bullied.

That is so funny....CMAC needs to be out there to keep the younger players calm. If Fran didn't do the stupid full lineup change, there would never be 4 backups/inexperienced players out there at the same time for CMAC to babysit

I could see CMAC role to close games as extra ball handler and hopefully he hits his Free throws this year. He looks like spot minute player based on actual talent. At least Fran has handed over the PG reigns to JoeT and Ulis--I'm sure he had not choice as those guys woud have transferred out if Jbo/Cmac were still running the show.

This is the most athletic team that I've seen under Fran. Hopefully they play a lot better defensively. There is
lack of pure post up scoring talent. Garza will be missed as automatic bucket maker.

I agree both Kris/Keegan should play more minutes together. If Keegan is 32 minute/game type player, Kris
needs to overlap with Keegan, otherwise too few minutes for Kris.

This looks like a below 0.500 B1G team but if they actually play some defense, maybe some upside.

Hopefully Ash only sees playing time if the score is 25 points one way or the other.

No. I will not stop stating the obvious.

I didn't say Connor sucks or that he brings nothing.

In a vacuum I'm fine with him on the court, he can do certain things really well, but saying that he doesn't need to be on the court for this team is not BS. Its true.

Just setting screens, making smart decisions and even good passes aren't enough to warrant playing over anyone else in the rotation and certainly not Kris.

Half of what this year should be about is getting all these young players experience.

Reactions: Hawktucson
Kris seemed a bit rushed and played a little out of control last night.Expected as this was really his first shot at minutes of significance and it is early in the season and am sure he was all sorts of jacked up.

Keagan though, my word what a game he had. WOW

Kris seemed a bit rushed and played a little out of control last night.Expected as this was really his first shot at minutes of significance and it is early in the season and am sure he was all sorts of jacked up.

Keagan though, my word what a game he had. WOW
It was his first game.

He looked like last years version of Keegan after he settled down in the second half.

He needs to be on the court nearly as much as Keegan this year.

Should have seen significant minutes last year too.

I'm saying Perkins shouldn't be playing. He has a long way to go if he wants to be in games that aren't blowouts. Right now I'd prefer Sandfort get extra minutes than see Perkins do something silly. Hopefully he steps it up soon!
That’s fine - I wasn’t directing that towards you. It was more a point that the person I was responding to wants Tony in the rotation but not Connor but he has no basis as to why other than he doesn’t like the McCaffrey family (based on many previous posts).

That has to stop. That jumper looks like a jr high kid trying to get it there
Yep. I texted my buddy that's how my 12 yr old nephew looks when he shoots (pushes) a 3. Seems like a good kid but probably should have transferred if he wanted to play big minutes

That’s fine - I wasn’t directing that towards you. It was more a point that the person I was responding to wants Tony in the rotation but not Connor but he has no basis as to why other than he doesn’t like the McCaffrey family (based on many previous posts).
Me?

Are you insane?

Only an insane persons mind goes there.

I've never met any of them. I don't have an opinion on their family outside of what happens on the basket court.

Hopefully Ash only sees playing time if the score is 25 points one way or the other.
There's no reason to think it would be otherwise. That's the way it was last night - lopsided score and Ash was the last guy off the bench before the walk-on. Ash would only get meaningful time in dire circumstances (injuries and/or foul trouble).

I tend to agree that we are better defensively with both of them, because they are the best rim protectors, rebounders, and cover so much ground on defensive rotations and help on the screen and roll. I'd be open to Bohannon, Patrick, Kris, Keegan and Rebraca as our best lineup, but doing that very long hurts our other lineups when some of those bigs leave. Not sure Ogundele or Mulvey are ready to do a lot this year yet.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Connor excels at setting up the offense by recognizing defenses and mismatches. When Connor is in it's like he's the only player on the court playing chess while 9 other players are playing checkers.

Connor excels at setting up the offense by recognizing defenses and mismatches. When Connor is in it's like he's the only player on the court playing chess while 9 other players are playing checkers.
It’s no coincidence that our second team started struggling both offensively and defensively after he went down with his ankle. Basically a coach on the floor

WiSsjau3

100% disagree.

CMac is no higher than 3rd on depth chart at any position and probably lower than that at PG and SG (4th)

advanced metrics have CMac as dead last in nearly every category.

next time you watch you will see Connor catch ball, hold it, dribble 1x2x, never improving his position, never threatening to drive, then packs up his dribble and pass it. Talk about slowing down the efficiencies gained in that possession prior to it reaching his hands, and allowing the defense to totally reset

when it comes to holding the ball looking for garza , fine, but that skill set is not in demand this year.

Kris looks just about like Keegan did last year.

Fran, your going to gain so much more than you lose by playing without a center this year.

Watch an NBA game.

For the love of God don't screw this up. You will never have this opportunity again.
Hey, OP, you nailed it . . . and ten days before last night's Murray Bros show vs. Utah State. Press-Citizen reporter Chad Leistikow wrote essentially what you did this morning, only you wrote it first. You are so right: Kris and Keagan should start and play most of the game together. The evidence, as Leistikow points out in his article, is undeniable.

So I just wanted to congratulate you on your spot-on post. Now if only Fran will do the right thing and not be stubborn like his counterpart over at Kinnick.

huh?

CMac is dead last in the PER category, the worst performing player on the team
CMac has played 5x more than Ogundel, but Ogundele has produced 2x more results.

recognizing defenses and mismatches? and does what? Dribble in place 2-3x and passes to the guy next to him?

This is game about preventing scores and creating easy scores, he does both poorly…

chess? Are you kidding me?

ADVERTISEMENT