ADVERTISEMENT

Play calling

jhawk23

HB All-State
Oct 3, 2015
It is obvious that we have not been able to sustain success in the passing game by keeping Beathard in the pocket and relying primarily on the WRs, especially in Big Ten play. CJB on the move has been one of our biggest weapons and it's rarely used. Why are we not calling more play action, roll outs, attempts to TEs and RBs, etc.? If we don't start to incorporate that more, we're going to see a lot more short drives and points left on the board.

I liked that they added a few wrinkles up front in terms of run blocking.
But most importantly and as I discussed after the Wisconsin game.
Some toss sweeps. Yeah.
I think it helped soften the edge so we could run more effectively on the inside zone plays. Good calls for canzeri and I think it would work well with Mitchell.

Some toss sweeps. Yeah.
I think it helped soften the edge so we could run more effectively on the inside zone plays. Good calls for canzeri and I think it would work well with Mitchell.

What did you see us doing different today in the run blocking? Not up on the X's and O's but we certainly did look effective in the running game. Which leads me again back to Brian Ferentz who took on responsibility for the running game in addition to the offensive line. Brian has a very good head on his shoulders and IMO has a bright future in coaching whether at Iowa following his dad or somewhere else. Have the feeling he has done some very good work behind the scenes.

It is obvious that we have not been able to sustain success in the passing game by keeping Beathard in the pocket and relying primarily on the WRs, especially in Big Ten play. CJB on the move has been one of our biggest weapons and it's rarely used. Why are we not calling more play action, roll outs, attempts to TEs and RBs, etc.? If we don't start to incorporate that more, we're going to see a lot more short drives and points left on the board.
I love rollouts and boots for CJ, too, but Illinois took that play away today. They read the keys very well and were all over that play action.

Some toss sweeps. Yeah.

Was nice to see a different look with the toss sweep. Great call on the75 yd. TD run.

Our receivers are just flat-out not good. McCarron and Hillyer wouldn't see the field for any other major program in the country, and they are the #3 and 4 players in our rotation. It's almost impossible to establish any kind of consistent passing attack with the complete lack of depth and talent at that position.

But the point is that Iowa's passing game has never really NEEDED a ton of talent at WR because it has relied so heavily on TEs, RBs and FBs catching passes, play action, getting the QB out of the pocket, etc. Right now, we are as thin as ever at WR but Davis seems to be insisting on keeping Beathard in the pocket (even though great things happen when he improvises on foot) and throwing almost exclusively to our WRs. Hence the short drives, stalled drives, leaving points on the field, relying on Canzeri so much, etc.

Our running game improved today when Canzeri started running outside. He wasn't getting anything inside the first half.

But the point is that Iowa's passing game has never really NEEDED a ton of talent at WR because it has relied so heavily on TEs, RBs and FBs catching passes, play action, getting the QB out of the pocket, etc. Right now, we are as thin as ever at WR but Davis seems to be insisting on keeping Beathard in the pocket (even though great things happen when he improvises on foot) and throwing almost exclusively to our WRs. Hence the short drives, stalled drives, leaving points on the field, relying on Canzeri so much, etc.

I would like to see more variety in the passing game -- more to the TE's, more wheel routes to the RB, screens to the RB, etc. Agree that it would help to rely less on the WR's. That said, I think the WR's are better than some want to admit. Especially with the emergence of J. Smith and the return of T. Smith, we'll have a pretty tough group of WR's.

Throwing exclusively to WRa?? Did you pay attention and see that HKC was targeted 8 to 10 times and caught at least 5 I think. Not seen final stats. And it was TE Kittle who caught first TD pass

Reactions: SupremeHawk
I do agree we've gone to the TE's more recently, which is good to see. On the whole, Davis hasn't tended to include them as much in the game plan, but good to see more use of the TE's recently.

The playbook looks more and more like O'Keefe's every single game. I didn't even notice any bubble screens today, although someone said at my tailgate that there was in fact one called.

You wouldn't notice a bubble screen if it walked up and kicked you in the vagina.

I do agree we've gone to the TE's more recently, which is good to see. On the whole, Davis hasn't tended to include them as much in the game plan, but good to see more use of the TE's recently.
I think I may have mentioned this a time or two on this board......;) But Krieger-Coble isn't what I would consider one of our "better" Tight Ends, but he is mostly sure handed. IF Jake Duzey can get healthy, he'll be one hell of a weapon on this team, IMO. I trust CJ will find him.

I was a bit dismayed that we didn't roll CJ out more near the goal line. He's smart with the ball, good on his feet. I know the Illini were pretty athletic on the edge, but CJ makes plays. Give him the freedom to make something happen near the goal line, instead of hoping the blocking holds up and someone gets open.

Right now, we are as thin as ever at WR but Davis seems to be insisting on keeping Beathard in the pocket (even though great things happen when he improvises on foot) and throwing almost exclusively to our WRs.
Kreiger-Coble led the team in receptions, so..............................

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT