ADVERTISEMENT

Player’s Parents on Social Media

Bold_Crow

Team MVP
Jan 6, 2013
Just want to preface this in saying I think it’s b.s. to seek out and trash a player directly on social media. However, between Petras’s comments about his parents seeing negative things online and Justin Britt’s mom on Twitter saying “How do you spend so much time complaining about the meal that you had no hand in helping to prepare? Just eat, & be thankful you're not starving.”
Fans can absolutely be critical of their teams performance. Stop scapegoating fans because you or your kid stinks.

Just want to preface this in saying I think it’s b.s. to seek out and trash a player directly on social media. However, between Petras’s comments about his parents seeing negative things online and Justin Britt’s mom on Twitter saying “How do you spend so much time complaining about the meal that you had no hand in helping to prepare? Just eat, & be thankful you're not starving.”
Fans can absolutely be critical of their teams performance. Stop scapegoating fans because you or your kid stinks.
Sorry your clones had a rough year.

As with most things it sort of falls halfway in between.

Fans identifying specific performance-based attributes (e.g. "he is innacurate" or "he doesn't understand how to navigate the pocket" or "he runs sloppy routes...rounding off the corners" etc.) is one thing.

It's the fans who just say "he sucks" or "he's a POS" who do nothing to advance a fruitful discussion.

There is a difference. And it is a very stark and reasonable one.

Fans identifying specific performance-based attributes (e.g. "he is innacurate" or "he doesn't understand how to navigate the pocket" or "he runs sloppy routes...rounding off the corners" etc.) is one thing.

It's the fans who just say "he sucks" or "he's a POS" who do nothing to advance a fruitful discussion.

I completely agree. I guess I’m just not seeing derogatory comments about players. Universally unusually based on performance.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08

This

Reactions: crstuff and Milt31

But even examples like the above are “personal”. You read all the time, “You can criticize, just don’t make it personal”, but performance is also “personal”.

Just be careful and thoughtful.

Maybe one of the most reasoned and topic worthy posts I've seen in sometime Doodle. Well said.....

And the last sentence proves you are just an asshole.

Agreed...but I also think that players that aren't mentally tough enough to withstand the criticism of average Joe fans probably aren't mentally tough enough to compete at a high level. We're not talking about middle school agers. Great competitors are their own worst critic.

I agree with her. We put in 3 hours of viewing time and want to rearrange everything. CEOs of nothing. And most have dirty ass cracks. Go wash your ass crack. That’ll be a start in improving your life.

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
Put yourself in the shoes of that player or pretend that player is your family member, would you write that about them? If so, time to take a step back and re-evaluate yourself about kids playing a game that has no effect on your life. They put everything into winning those games, 24, 7, 365 days a year to prep and be ready to play come Saturday. They deserve your support if you are a fan of that team.

Now, if want to criticize the coaches for their decisions or poor decisions in your view, fine, just don’t get personal as well. I hope the Hawks win every game they play but realize there is a team on the other side of the field that wants to win as well and it’s not easy to get the W every week and player performance causes a lot of the losses. And if you think you hurt after a loss, you have no idea how those players and coaches feel walking off the field, having to field questions from reporters, and hear all the attacks via social media and people in public that say sad and embarrassing things like the lady with her family and kids by the Iowa tunnel at halftime about getting a real qb. Great role model for your kids Mom. Stuff like this needs to stop and fans need to be better as a whole. I get we are fans of the program and that’s why they are called fanatics, but that doesn’t entitle you to attack players and coaches personally.

Well said. Fanatics turn to egomaniacs with zero Skin in the game. Just their feelings.

I get worked up like we all do but we all need to stop and remember, at the end of the day, it’s entertainment. There wouldn’t be a team without fans, or the kids who bust their butts to play. They wouldn’t get free college without fans, and our support. But the lovely internet has given us all anonymous passes to opine on every little thing we think the world needs to hear from us and it’s moronic.
I criticize and like Doodle said, I try to keep it about performance, just like my boss who pays me does. But we all need to keep the line in view, myself included, when the passion is flowing.

It is what it is right? Social media gives fans an outlet. Sometimes we complain to each other on Twitter. Some fans may contact players direct but I think most do not..... Unless Twitter and Facebook shut down tomorrow it isn't going away. The only real solution is for players (and their families) to avoid fan reaction on social media right after or during a game.. Outside of that, it's never going to stop.. Social Media is the voice of the fan base

Reactions: Bold_Crow
Imagine a platform where anyone can type something rude for hundreds to read, but remain hidden in person.
Then imagine it actually happening.
Now imagine people deliberately joining this platform and reading these posts and getting hurt by them.
Lastly, imagine these same people continue to go back to the platform!

My favorite part of Twitter is when this happens

Don't like soc media? Uninstall.

It's like going to a strip joint for beers, and telling the ladies they need to show some decency and put their clothes back on.... and then keep going back.

I doubt the families are talking so much about criticism of a bad throw or dropped snap and are far more concerned with the comments to go commit suicide or have sex with various different animals or himself. That's not even including all the racist posts if the player happens to be black or other minority group. I don't have any specific examples of this but I seriously doubt I would have to look very hard to find them.

I doubt the families are talking so much about criticism of a bad throw or dropped snap and are far more concerned with the comments to go commit suicide or have sex with various different animals or himself. That's not even including all the racist posts if the player happens to be black or other minority group. I don't have any specific examples of this but I seriously doubt I would have to look very hard to find them.
Of course you have no specific examples. And if they did exist they’d be made public, and rightfully so.

I honestly can not believe what Spencer said about him being human and his mom reading comments.

Are you kidding me? This the kind of guy we have at the most important position on the field? Pretty sad, in my opinion.

Earned himself a “cry-baby” status.

I honestly can not believe what Spencer said about him being human and his mom reading comments.

Are you kidding me? This the kind of guy we have at the most important position on the field? Pretty sad, in my opinion.

Those were my immediate thoughts as well. I wish I could go back in time and warn my teachers that my parents read my report card and test scores.

Then be like me and dont be on stupid ass twitter! I'll never be on that crap :)

Anyone who directly messages or @ an athlete or coach on social media to criticize is absolute trash and should examine their pathetic life.
Agreed, I’m not seeing this happen and if it is, I’d hope that person is publicly outed.

Reactions: kl40504

ive seen numerous times when you appeared to literally be crying on this board.

My favorite are posts from 'fans' happy when a player gets hurt, or hoping a player gets hurt. And the post getting 20 likes.

Me personally don't think fans should be saying negative things or calling a college KID out on his on field performance on social media. People forget sometimes that these are young men and some still kids. These kids feel a hell of a lot worse when they lose or play bad on the field then we do as fans. When I was younger, I felt like complete shit for a day or two after every Iowa loss, but as I got older, I finally understood, IT IS JUST A GAME, so when they lose, I put it behind me, find something to do and move on. Of course, then I come here and read all the threads of people out on the ledge ready to jump, fans ready to go out on a ritual killing and threads trashing other fans for not thinking the same as they do. Sulk, or get a life, that is the choice my friends. I, as pathetic as it is, have a life. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT