ADVERTISEMENT

Player’s Parents on Social Media

Of course you have no specific examples. And if they did exist they’d be made public, and rightfully so.
Nah, social media sucks and I'm not going to waste time filtering through the BS to find any. However, if you are making a vague claim that these people are making stuff up then I don't know what to say.

Me personally don't think fans should be saying negative things or calling a college KID out on his on field performance on social media. People forget sometimes that these are young men and some still kids. These kids feel a hell of a lot worse when they lose or play bad on the field then we do as fans. When I was younger, I felt like complete shit for a day or two after every Iowa loss, but as I got older, I finally understood, IT IS JUST A GAME, so when they lose, I put it behind me, find something to do and move on. Of course, then I come here and read all the threads of people out on the ledge ready to jump, fans ready to go out on a ritual killing and threads trashing other fans for not thinking the same as they do. Sulk, or get a life, that is the choice my friends. I, as pathetic as it is, have a life. ;)

I used to come to this site to commiserate with other Hawkeye fans about our favorite team. There is so much negativity and childish name calling on this board (win or lose) that I find myself staying away more and more.

As with most things it sort of falls halfway in between.

Fans identifying specific performance-based attributes (e.g. "he is innacurate" or "he doesn't understand how to navigate the pocket" or "he runs sloppy routes...rounding off the corners" etc.) is one thing.

It's the fans who just say "he sucks" or "he's a POS" who do nothing to advance a fruitful discussion.

There is a difference. And it is a very stark and reasonable one.
Agreed - Twitter is full of fans flat out saying certain players are horrible, should be playing DII, etc … and those are the ones that stick out to players and families I’m sure. Most people don’t want to have reasonable discussions or allow that a player might be ok - it’s always they are terrible, horrible, awful

I honestly can not believe what Spencer said about him being human and his mom reading comments.

Are you kidding me? This the kind of guy we have at the most important position on the field? Pretty sad, in my opinion.

Earned himself a “cry-baby” status.
Nah, by him facing the media like a man and taking questions abd you being your usual little bitch self, just proved he is 200x the “man” or “guy” than you.

You are pretty sad in my opinion.

Agreed...but I also think that players that aren't mentally tough enough to withstand the criticism of average Joe fans probably aren't mentally tough enough to compete at a high level. We're not talking about middle school agers. Great competitors are their own worst critic.
It seems like Spencer doesn’t really realize how poorly he plays, which when the coaches keep trotting him out there, maybe he thinks his play is up to par.

• Wow
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I am far from a Petras fan, but what QB would have fared better in this scheme? No running game, bad O-line, and predictable play-calling is not a recipe for success. Sure a mobile QB could have made some plays, but it was clear when Padilla played that leaving the pocket is frowned upon by KF and BF.

Kirk wants a game manager who will stay on script. Petras has missed a lot of throws and that's on him, but when your margin of error is so small because you only take a couple shots down the field, any error is magnified.

Just want to preface this in saying I think it’s b.s. to seek out and trash a player directly on social media. However, between Petras’s comments about his parents seeing negative things online and Justin Britt’s mom on Twitter saying “How do you spend so much time complaining about the meal that you had no hand in helping to prepare? Just eat, & be thankful you're not starving.”
Fans can absolutely be critical of their teams performance. Stop scapegoating fans because you or your kid stinks.
I’m on the kids/parents side in this kissing match. Too many here and in other forums are just a$$holes.Or, as Coach Fry affectionately call Ed one of two things- ‘so called experts’ or ‘jock sniffers’

I’m on the kids/parents side in this kissing match. Too many here and in other forums are just a$$holes.Or, as Coach Fry affectionately call Ed one of two things- ‘so called experts’ or ‘jock sniffers’
Except it doesn’t take an expert to see that Petras is performing poorly. The argument that if you haven’t played or coached at a high D1 level to have an opinion is dumb and lazy. In the age of analytics, the game is being driven by “so called experts” and “jock sniffers”

Except it doesn’t take an expert to see that Petras is performing poorly. The argument that if you haven’t played or coached at a high D1 level to have an opinion is dumb and lazy. In the age of analytics, the game is being driven by “so called experts” and “jock sniffers”
You didn’t change my mind. Everyone sees the same thing, many that fit C Fry’s descriptors easily identify themselves

I agree with her. We put in 3 hours of viewing time and want to rearrange everything. CEOs of nothing. And most have dirty ass cracks. Go wash your ass crack. That’ll be a start in improving your life.
Sooo why would you be so observant or even given the opportunity to see others ass crack?

So long as you don’t make threats, it is free game to criticize the performance of athletes who are paid professionally or earn a scholarship. These aren’t 12-year-olds. They are semi-professional adults. And while social media is a product of the past 15 years or so, it wasn’t the beginning of this relationship between fans and student athletes.

Hate to be the one who points it out, but can almost guarantee Nile Kinnick heard some salty comments after he had a bad game. Anyone who blames Twitter has no concept of history or reality.

I am far from a Petras fan, but what QB would have fared better in this scheme? No running game, bad O-line, and predictable play-calling is not a recipe for success. Sure a mobile QB could have made some plays, but it was clear when Padilla played that leaving the pocket is frowned upon by KF and BF.

Kirk wants a game manager who will stay on script. Petras has missed a lot of throws and that's on him, but when your margin of error is so small because you only take a couple shots down the field, any error is magnified.
Any that can accurately throw a football....

Do you think those things would improve if we had that??

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
So long as you don’t make threats, it is free game to criticize the performance of athletes who are paid professionally or earn a scholarship. These aren’t 12-year-olds. They are semi-professional adults. And while social media is a product of the past 15 years or so, it wasn’t the beginning of this relationship between fans and student athletes.

Hate to be the one who points it out, but can almost guarantee Nile Kinnick heard some salty comments after he had a bad game. Anyone who blames Twitter has no concept of history or reality.
If you think these aren't amplified an insane amount because of social media, then you have no concept of reality ;)

Message boards 101: anonymous posters may not be Iowa fans at all. Anonymity allows for fans of other teams to express their ill feelings to simply fan the existing flames. Posters could be 10 or 12 or immature 30 year olds. Or immature 50 year olds. Wild cards. There
Sooo why would you be so observant or even given the opportunity to see others ass crack?
Just a guess. I sense an idiot factor on this board sometimes. I’m not immune, either. If you have time to offer up stupid observations, you have time to wash your ass cracks. Now, get to washing!!

• Love
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
No running game, bad O-line, and predictable play-calling is not a recipe for success.
The running game was excellent averaging almost 6.5 yards/carry. The O line protected the best it has all year and BF called a good game. The botched QB sneak and the point blank INT were the killers. I still say the lack of a 6'4" receiver hurts big time in the red zone...

The running game was excellent averaging almost 6.5 yards/carry. The O line protected the best it has all year and BF called a good game. The botched QB sneak and the point blank INT were the killers. I still say the lack of a 6'4" receiver hurts big time in the red zone...
Valid points, but that is one game and the offense produced 3 points in the first half. Calling that a good game by BF is a major stretch in my opinion. He did absolutely nothing in the first half to get Kentucky off balance.

LaPorta is a stud, but the offense is so fixated on him that it hurts others. Being a WR at Iowa is about as futile as being a WR at a service academy. The passing game is awful and that is on BF. How many times do we have two guys stacked 3-5 yards apart bringing multiple defenders into a phone booth?

This is the bullshit offense KF is comfortable with, so as much as I dislike BF's arrogance and incompetence, it won't change if we have 5 more OC's under KF. It's all about risk aversion, play not to lose and hope the other team implodes.

Reactions: 24 so far
I think twitter is stupid. It amazes me that people think others care about their opinions...it's kinda narcissistic if you ask me.

As far as trashing players on social media....that's not going to be productive. It's just a manifestation of immature people publicly throwing a temper tantrum. As an employer it's a useful way to weed out the chaffe.

Reactions: bdg8
Imagine a platform where anyone can type something rude for hundreds to read, but remain hidden in person.
Then imagine it actually happening.
Now imagine people deliberately joining this platform and reading these posts and getting hurt by them.
Lastly, imagine these same people continue to go back to the platform!

My favorite part of Twitter is when this happens

Don't like soc media? Uninstall.

It's like going to a strip joint for beers, and telling the ladies they need to show some decency and put their clothes back on.... and then keep going back.
No, Twitter is like going to a brewery to grab your favorite beer and have dinner with you family, and a bunch of strippers walk in and find a pole.

Just want to preface this in saying I think it’s b.s. to seek out and trash a player directly on social media. However, between Petras’s comments about his parents seeing negative things online and Justin Britt’s mom on Twitter saying “How do you spend so much time complaining about the meal that you had no hand in helping to prepare? Just eat, & be thankful you're not starving.”
Fans can absolutely be critical of their teams performance. Stop scapegoating fans because you or your kid stinks.
Because you or your kid stinks? Grow up. It still is just a game. I'm sorry your Saturday was ruined because your ego is defined by a group of college kids. Parents and athletes need to understand that the vast majority of the negativity is posted by a relative few in comparison to the whole. Most of us just don't let a sporting event affect our lives.

Finally, many posters go off the deep end when their comments are criticized. Sometimes by just one person. I'm sorry you're steaming because you or your comments stink.

I have had a change in heart regarding this up until the last couple of years. With as much as they athletes receive as well as the introduction of NIL, they are fair game now in my eyes. You can't take all of the perks and then get chippy when a little criticism comes your way.

I have had a change in heart regarding this up until the last couple of years. With as much as they athletes receive as well as the introduction of NIL, they are fair game now in my eyes. You can't take all of the perks and then get chippy when a little criticism comes your way.
What percentage of Iowa players are getting NIL money? 2% ? It's a non factor.

Reactions: HawkOn15
What percentage of Iowa players are getting NIL money? 2% ? It's a non factor.

It is a giant factor. They have the opportunity for un-capped income. If they are selling themselves based on their athletic status, then we have the right to critisize...at least that is how I view it.

• Haha
It is a giant factor. They have the opportunity for un-capped income. If they are selling themselves based on their athletic status, then we have the right to critisize...at least that is how I view it.
Again, how many of our players are receiving NIL money? and I believe Linderbaum gave his to the childrens hospital. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Yes, if Petras was out there collecting 100K from Hy Vee on his NIL he's fair game. He's not. His NIL means nothing. Nobody wants it.

No, Twitter is like going to a brewery to grab your favorite beer and have dinner with you family, and a bunch of strippers walk in and find a pole.

That's what you want it to be.
It will never be that. Ever.

It's a strip club. Don't go unless you wanna see boobs.

• Love
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Scapegoating? Did the parents blame a fan for the loss? Basically you don't want fans who complain to be complained about?

Because you or your kid stinks? Grow up. It still is just a game. I'm sorry your Saturday was ruined because your ego is defined by a group of college kids. Parents and athletes need to understand that the vast majority of the negativity is posted by a relative few in comparison to the whole. Most of us just don't let a sporting event affect our lives.

Finally, many posters go off the deep end when their comments are criticized. Sometimes by just one person. I'm sorry you're steaming because you or your comments stink.
Ya Petras stinks. If that’s the worst criticism he gets as a P5 QB then he’s sheltered and so are you if what I said offended you.

That's what you want it to be.
It will never be that. Ever.

It's a strip club. Don't go unless you wanna see boobs.
Most don't go to twitter to see that crap, is my point. Most don't go to ridicule and be mean, they go to read stories, news, and learn. It's the small vocal minority(strippers) that can sometimes invade.

Scapegoating? Did the parents blame a fan for the loss? Basically you don't want fans who complain to be complained about?
Petras needs to handle criticism better. He’d take heat from his performance at any major school in the country. It’s not an Iowa fans problem. He needs to accept responsibility and not bring his family into it

• Haha
Petras needs to handle criticism better. He’d take heat from his performance at any major school in the country. It’s not an Iowa fans problem. He needs to accept responsibility and not bring his family into it
Who said he’s not accepting responsibility? Again, he goes in front of the Media week oin and week out and takes the heat, win or lose. He was asked a question about what he wanted to say to fans, and he answered. He didn’t whine, didn’t cry. Not sure what you mean by accepting responsibility. Do you want him to go up there and say he lost the game? Would that make you happy?

Ya Petras stinks. If that’s the worst criticism he gets as a P5 QB then he’s sheltered and so are you if what I said offended you.
No - I just don't get worked up over a college kid's performance. And thanks for making my point.

ADVERTISEMENT