ADVERTISEMENT

Player Charity Scrimmage. A good idea?

Should the Hawkeyes hold a scrimmage for charity or fun?

• Heck Yeah!

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • No, I can wait another 4 months until Nov 11th.

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hawkeyeguy69

HR All-American
Oct 1, 2001
We are in year two of a MAJOR gap in Hawkeye basketball coverage. Without the PTL , nor the Shirt vs Skins games before football games, us diehard Hawkeye fans, like myself and thousands of others, are left High & dry from April until November.... That is over 7 months of the year. Seven months!!!

What if the team were to lead an organized scrimmage (Or 3!)?? If the players do it, and not an official "team event", then it is in compliance, from what I have been told.... Why not have a charity basketball scrimmage??

Maybe one of the team leaders, say JBo, since he cannot practice, set something up at a local gym. Like a West High. Then have an open scrimmage with his teammates??

Divide the team in two. And since JBo can't play yet, he can be one of the coaches.... Bring back the Baer Cage or another couple of alums for the opposing coaches. (this would be fantastic. The trash talking the whole game would be awesome!!)

Do it for charity, with donations going to the Children's Hospital, cancer research or the like. The can charge for tickets, or ask for donations. They could even Live Stream it for a small fee.

Us diehard Hawkeyes NEED some Iowa basketball. These short video teasers the program is putting out are just that, teasers! Drives me nuts.... Pisses me off really.

PTL was just some organized pickup game. But PTL was news, and a LOT of news... These message boards were busy with something to speculate on, analyze over, arm-chair coach about, etc.

This is the 2nd time in 32 years, the modern era for sports, that Iowa fans across the country and the world(There are Hawkeyes everywhere!) have not had Hawkeye basketball in the summer & fall....

Could you imagine no Hawkeye Football coverage in the spring?!? They would lose fans. Whether direct or indirect. For example, I still haven't gotten back into MLB baseball since the strike. Not sure why, other than the lapse of coverage.... Not that I would lose interest in Iowa myself, but some fans will for certain.

Out of sight, out of mind...

My two cents.

What is in it for the players?

We are in year two of a MAJOR gap in Hawkeye basketball coverage. Without the PTL , nor the Shirt vs Skins games before football games, us diehard Hawkeye fans, like myself and thousands of others, are left High & dry from April until November.... That is over 7 months of the year. Seven months!!!

What if the team were to lead an organized scrimmage (Or 3!)?? If the players do it, and not an official "team event", then it is in compliance, from what I have been told.... Why not have a charity basketball scrimmage??

Maybe one of the team leaders, say JBo, since he cannot practice, set something up at a local gym. Like a West High. Then have an open scrimmage with his teammates??

Divide the team in two. And since JBo can't play yet, he can be one of the coaches.... Bring back the Baer Cage or another couple of alums for the opposing coaches. (this would be fantastic. The trash talking the whole game would be awesome!!)

Do it for charity, with donations going to the Children's Hospital, cancer research or the like. The can charge for tickets, or ask for donations. They could even Live Stream it for a small fee.

Us diehard Hawkeyes NEED some Iowa basketball. These short video teasers the program is putting out are just that, teasers! Drives me nuts.... Pisses me off really.

PTL was just some organized pickup game. But PTL was news, and a LOT of news... These message boards were busy with something to speculate on, analyze over, arm-chair coach about, etc.

This is the 2nd time in 32 years, the modern era for sports, that Iowa fans across the country and the world(There are Hawkeyes everywhere!) have not had Hawkeye basketball in the summer & fall....

Could you imagine no Hawkeye Football coverage in the spring?!? They would lose fans. Whether direct or indirect. For example, I still haven't gotten back into MLB baseball since the strike. Not sure why, other than the lapse of coverage.... Not that I would lose interest in Iowa myself, but some fans will for certain.

Out of sight, out of mind...

My two cents.

What is in it for the players?

They get to play a game in front of a crowd. Some haven't played in front of anyone in over a year...

The players can showcase their skills to a hungry fan base. I am sure they all have something they want to display to their fans.

It would be an organized performance that is outside of the daily practice routine. I would think they would be all over it. Playing in front of cheering fans is entirely different than playing in front of a couple of coaches.

Just doing something for a good cause would be worth it. But that is me. A simple food drive would be good. But I think they could do bigger & better if they wanted.

Those are all ideas, however we also have guys like JB that want to be paid and think they are being exploited.

They get to play a game in front of a crowd. Some haven't played in front of anyone in over a year...

The players can showcase their skills to a hungry fan base. I am sure they all have something they want to display to their fans.

It would be an organized performance that is outside of the daily practice routine. I would think they would be all over it. Playing in front of cheering fans is entirely different than playing in front of a couple of coaches.

Just doing something for a good cause would be worth it. But that is me. A simple food drive would be good. But I think they could do bigger & better if they wanted.

The players would need to petition the NCAA for permission to hold the scrimmage, even if the beneficiary is a known valid charitable organization.

As a fan I totally agree with you; but, I always thought that the summers were a time that the players needed to step away from some parts of the game. They are currently in summer school and will be lucky if they get 14 days off in August before getting back here on campus and the rigors of D1 bball. I don't want to ask them to give that much more than they currently give us.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
The players would need to petition the NCAA for permission to hold the scrimmage, even if the beneficiary is a known valid charitable organization.

So for a scrimmage, any scrimmage, every time the players held a shirts vs skins game they had to petition the NCAA? Interesting....

Your original suggestion was an organized scrimmage/one that raised money for charity. Not a pick up game

Ok, then a scrimmage only. Leave a canned food item at the entrance if you would be so kind. Just like spring football.... Regardless, figure out the compliance issue, and let them play ball. It is that simple... When there is a will, there is a way.

These guys want to play in front of their fans. Let them battle it out in front of those fans. Everyone would enjoy it.

Ok, then a scrimmage only. Leave a canned food item at the entrance if you would be so kind. Just like spring football.... Regardless, figure out the compliance issue, and let them play ball. It is that simple... When there is a will, there is a way.

These guys want to play in front of their fans. Let them battle it out in front of those fans. Everyone would enjoy it.
I agree with you that there should be some kind of showcase before the season starts. Coming off a NCAA Tourney season, a pretty different-looking roster, no PTL, no overseas trip, would be a great opportunity to keep the fans engaged and excited for next year... exactly why nothing will probably happen

Sign me up.

Hey Suter, why don't you and Pat have a couple players on your podcast and ask what they think of a scrimmage in front of a bunch of fans next month....?

I bet they would be all for it!!! Charity or no charity...or a simple can food drive. Whatever is allowed by the powers that be...

Hey Suter, why don't you and Pat have a couple players on your podcast and ask what they think of a scrimmage in front of a bunch of fans next month....?

I bet they would be all for it!!! Charity or no charity...or a simple can food drive. Whatever is allowed by the powers that be...
Not a bad idea.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT