ADVERTISEMENT

Player Interviews Post NW

C/Seahawk

HB All-American
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
First, thanks again to Tom and his team for providing the post game video clips, greatly appreciated. After watching them, you can begin to understand how this team is 7-0, which is probably a surprise to everyone except the players and coaches inside the football program. Just go down the list of players interviewed, from Walsh, Hesse, Johnson, King, etc. I'm not sure I've seen a collective group of players that are so humble, caring of each other and appreciative of the opportunity to play every Saturday in the black and gold. They are genuinely happy for the teams success, almost always deflecting individual praise and simply appreciating what the team is accomplishing.

I'm not sure anyone knew how this staff and team would respond after such a disappointing end to the season last year. The storyline really could have gone two different ways, and the path of least resistance would have been the players seeking individual glory. I think its pretty remarkable how this team has come together to fight for the common goal. That to me points to fantastic leadership from the coaches, and then also the upperclassmen that are paving the way for the younger players.

Chemistry is a funny thing...its easy to point to great chemistry when teams are winning, but I think its pretty clear the team was all in starting back in January and I think you have to credit the coaches first and foremost. We went through one, perhaps two seasons of divisive questions about who should be the leader of this team, JR or CJB and I think it probably fractured the locker room and team chemistry. Hats off to the coaches for making a tough but necessary decision almost immediately after the bowl game and second for the players buying in and really committing themselves to getting this program back on track.

The bye week couldn't have come at a better time, hope the kids can get some rest and recharge. It will be a great week for the young kids in the program to get some meaningful work while some of the vets that are dinged up catch their breath.

Oh, last but not least...what a job by the offensive line yesterday, they absolutely mauled the Wildcat defense, one of the most dominating performances we've seen in a long time. I'm not sure how good NW's front 7 is, but the Hawks absolutely hammered them to the point of submission, they basically waived the white flag on that final drive. It seems to me Brian Ferentz is earning his paycheck and then some this year...and its encouraging to think we will have a handful of guys with starting experience that will be returning next year. Bazata and Johnson have been equally impressive on the other side of the ball, great to see.

Go Hawks!

First, thanks again to Tom and his team for providing the post game video clips, greatly appreciated. After watching them, you can begin to understand how this team is 7-0, which is probably a surprise to everyone except the players and coaches inside the football program. Just go down the list of players interviewed, from Walsh, Hesse, Johnson, King, etc. I'm not sure I've seen a collective group of players that are so humble, caring of each other and appreciative of the opportunity to play every Saturday in the black and gold. They are genuinely happy for the teams success, almost always deflecting individual praise and simply appreciating what the team is accomplishing.

I'm not sure anyone knew how this staff and team would respond after such a disappointing end to the season last year. The storyline really could have gone two different ways, and the path of least resistance would have been the players seeking individual glory. I think its pretty remarkable how this team has come together to fight for the common goal. That to me points to fantastic leadership from the coaches, and then also the upperclassmen that are paving the way for the younger players.

Chemistry is a funny thing...its easy to point to great chemistry when teams are winning, but I think its pretty clear the team was all in starting back in January and I think you have to credit the coaches first and foremost. We went through one, perhaps two seasons of divisive questions about who should be the leader of this team, JR or CJB and I think it probably fractured the locker room and team chemistry. Hats off to the coaches for making a tough but necessary decision almost immediately after the bowl game and second for the players buying in and really committing themselves to getting this program back on track.

The bye week couldn't have come at a better time, hope the kids can get some rest and recharge. It will be a great week for the young kids in the program to get some meaningful work while some of the vets that are dinged up catch their breath.

Oh, last but not least...what a job by the offensive line yesterday, they absolutely mauled the Wildcat defense, one of the most dominating performances we've seen in a long time. I'm not sure how good NW's front 7 is, but the Hawks absolutely hammered them to the point of submission, they basically waived the white flag on that final drive. It seems to me Brian Ferentz is earning his paycheck and then some this year...and its encouraging to think we will have a handful of guys with starting experience that will be returning next year. Bazata and Johnson have been equally impressive on the other side of the ball, great to see.

Go Hawks!
Great post.

NW's front seven was good enough to hold #10 Stanford to 6 points. It was good enough to beat #23 Duke on the road. And neither Duke nor Stanford has lost a game other than to NW. So there's that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT