ADVERTISEMENT

Players who left program need to be heard

DutchyFunStar

HR MVP
Aug 8, 2014
It is just as important to hear from the players who left the program as it is to hear from the players who completed their eligibility. If you want to get to the truth you need to drop the 'axe to grind' mentality.

From the presser, they lifted the ban on earrings and hoodies. Not to generalize, but I think that rule impacted one group of players more than another. Were they teaching them the right way to do things or the white way to do things?

They are playing a sport, not going to war.

Reactions: dbrocket
We shouldn't automatically dismiss them but I think it's completely fair to be more skeptical of some of these guys' stories. Especially those that have been critical of the program in the past and didn't bring these things up.

And having a dress code that doesn't allow wearing hoodies and earrings is racist now? Seems like a stretch

We shouldn't automatically dismiss them but I think it's completely fair to be more skeptical of some of these guys' stories. Especially those that have been critical of the program in the past and didn't bring these things up.

And having a dress code that doesn't allow wearing hoodies and earrings is racist now? Seems like a stretch
Maybe not racist, but stupid and outdated

It is just as important to hear from the players who left the program as it is to hear from the players who completed their eligibility. If you want to get to the truth you need to drop the 'axe to grind' mentality.

From the presser, they lifted the ban on earrings and hoodies. Not to generalize, but I think that rule impacted one group of players more than another. Were they teaching them the right way to do things or the white way to do things?

How many of them realized success at whatever school they transferred to?

Reactions: curleytop
White guys haven’t worn earrings since the 90s. Jewelry is a huge part of black culture. Tell me again how that rule doesn’t impact one group more than another.

Reactions: hawkifann
White guys haven’t worn earrings since the 90s. Jewelry is a huge part of black culture. Tell me again how that rule doesn’t impact one group more than another.
Have you ever been to a hipster coffee shop? I guarantee you'll see a white guy with earrings. To say no white guys wear earrings is a pretty big generalization and quite frankly racist.

If they want to lift the ban that's fine but to imply the staff implemented that part of the dress code to racially discriminate against black players isn't a fair assumption

Surely not justifying anything but I have read about disparate punishment. I will simply state Brady Reiff (of age, white, public intoxication, trying to take an Uber) vs Tristan Wirfs (underage, black, OWI on a scooter with 2 people). And this happened like within a couple weeks of each other. Each 1 game suspension. That would seem pretty discriminatory punishment against the white player. Just to make a point to the people saying all punishment was more heavily favored against the black athletes. Once again, not saying anything that was said and/or done was right. But simply an example that objectively a white athlete was clearly treated unfairly versus a black athlete.

I think more importantly is all players are asking for more freedom and control in all programs. With greater power comes greater responsibility. I think let’s trust them and see what happens. We might be reaching a point in time in society where we are ready. If players make some mistakes then Kirk and the program get a free pass. I don’t want to hear from University brass nor the MEDIA painting Kirk or the program as ‘rouge’ or ‘undisciplined’... which could also be coded statements too by them. You can’t have it both ways and the MEDIA loves to stir it up like no other.

you actually sound like a racist ****ing pig with this post you idiot.

Utter bullshit. Having the same expectations for everyone is the antithesis of racism.

Disparate impact refers to practices that adversely affect one group of people more than another, even though rules applied are formally neutral.

Being colorblind, while well intentioned, is not necessarily a good thing. If you don't see color you don't fully see the individual.

Disparate impact refers to practices that adversely affect one group of people more than another, even though rules applied are formally neutral.

Being colorblind, while well intentioned, is not necessarily a good thing. If you don't see color you don't fully see the individual.

If it is in the Iowa code of conduct why is it a bad thing? Other coaches and schools I am sure have something along these lines.

If only they knew the expectations and rules prior to deciding to come to such a gulag. Not sure these are new guidelines that came out of the blue. Do they not notice it on recruiting visits? I don’t agree with what occurred but to knowingly go into a non earring or hoodie’ and then b*tch about it isn’t a good look.

This is beyond f”ing stupid. You really need your head checked.

I like the changes. I manage people and do my absolute best to focus on the stuff that really matters and let the rest go.

I don't get the hoodie thing. I really don't. As for earrings, seems pretty easy to focus on the field and eliminate them there and let the rest go.

Your post is race baiting, at best. Get a life.

Well sh*t, this whole time I only thought I had trouble distinguishing stoplights in Nebraska. Turns out I'm missing portions of people as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT