ADVERTISEMENT

Playing at Purdue - Why is the officiating so terrible?

WinOneThisCentury II

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2021
I have to tell you...watching that game last night...the pass defense on both sides was all grab and hold. The officiating in that stadium for whatever reason is always terrible. Penn State at least played the same game and were grabbing and holding just as much as the Purdue DBs. It's the ole'...you won't call pass interference on every play strategy. It's disgusting. The officials lost control of that game and it became a holding contest. I don't mind players being physical and shucking a receiver to get him off his route...but you can't grab the shoulder pad and hang on down the field, grab jersey, arms or whatever and impede them.

Every time Iowa plays there...and we do this year...our receivers get mugged. At least it was clear that Franklin told his guys to get physical and do the grab and impede on every play. Penn State's corners were holding on every play.

I have to tell you...watching that game last night...the pass defense on both sides was all grab and hold. The officiating in that stadium for whatever reason is always terrible. Penn State at least played the same game and were grabbing and holding just as much as the Purdue DBs. It's the ole'...you won't call pass interference on every play strategy. It's disgusting. The officials lost control of that game and it became a holding contest. I don't mind players being physical and shucking a receiver to get him off his route...but you can't grab the shoulder pad and hang on down the field, grab jersey, arms or whatever and impede them.

Every time Iowa plays there...and we do this year...our receivers get mugged. At least it was clear that Franklin told his guys to get physical and do the grab and impede on every play. Penn State's corners were holding on every play.
Honestly you are correct- these bums called refs need to take courses of football 101 … absolutely HOME COOKIN @ PURDUE

And then...inevitably...late in the game the officials swallow the whistles as they don't want to be the factor that puts one team over the edge. There was one play late in the game where a Penn State receiver is doing about a 15 yard slant or in pattern, as he's coming out of his break, the Purdue DB grabs with both hands, holds him and the ball whistles by 2 or 3 yards ahead of him. It was so blatant. NO CALL.

Penn State's Porter was holding all night. There was a play where Porter held a receiver, then came through him to knock the ball down. Clearly interference...no call. The officiating was terrible.

And then...inevitably...late in the game the officials swallow the whistles as they don't want to be the factor that puts one team over the edge. There was one play late in the game where a Penn State receiver is doing about a 15 yard slant or in pattern, as he's coming out of his break, the Purdue DB grabs with both hands, holds him and the ball whistles by 2 or 3 yards ahead of him. It was so blatant. NO CALL.

Penn State's Porter was holding all night. There was a play where Porter held a receiver, then came through him to knock the ball down. Clearly interference...no call. The officiating was terrible.
I totally agree with your take, there is a massive inconsistency in what they call and when they call it. Everyone of those calls, or lack thereof, impacted the game significantly and its criminal that they allow the game to be decided like that.

It is the biggest reason why I fear playing Purdue under Brohm and especially this year. Penn State was able to make some plays on defense because of the press coverage they were implementing, which starts contact almost immediately on the LOS and then carries throughout the play. Phil has shown that he is not going to do that, he seems to stick to his zone coverages against Purdue. I think O'Connell is a really good quarterback, has a quick release and the oline is just good enough to give him some time and thus I fear he is going to pick us apart. And I think that when a team plays off receivers as much as the Iowa corners do, that whenever there is any contact it is too easy to throw the flag, and the refs have done that before. But, with a team like PSU, what are they going to do, throw a flag every play? The game would take 6 hours. So the officials are throwing flags on guys that are committing penalties that are more obvious than they normally do, not on the foul itself. Its obvious to me that each team is officiating with respect to themselves rather than with respect to the rule book.

The Big10 brings some of the best athletes in the country, yet, they have the Absolute worst officiating. Especially in Basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT