ADVERTISEMENT

Please just end the idiocy and cancel the football season

7FDL.gif

The signs are all there that we won't see a football season:

Minnesota and Illinois high school football moved to spring.
UConn cancels football season.
Rutgers dealing with massive outbreak.
Northwestern has halted workouts.
IU player in bad shape, his mother's facebook post has gone viral.
Players in the Pac12 and Big Ten are organizing.
The new restrictions with every player who's been within 6 feet of an infected person having to quarantine will wreak havoc on schools' abilities to field teams this year.
Today Kevin Warren emphasized that a schedule isn't a guarantee we'd see fall sports.

I'ts happening slowly, but it's happening. No one is "hiding under their beds" or whatever other totally alpha insult you have for beta cuck soyboys. Everyone wants football, but don't get your hopes up.
So you and the rest of the 80,99. And 100 yo people stay home. Too bad the Newby big 10 commissioner has fear of lawsuits and no guts. OK for you to live with your glass half empty.

Reactions: CP84
Here's the thing. If you are right. Not all people see it the way you do so diligent steps will need to be taken to prove that you are in fact right.
However, if you are wrong. Some people such as yourselves will need to be shown diligently that you were in fact wrong. They are currently taking those diligent steps.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
So you and the rest of the 80,99. And 100 yo people stay home. Too bad the Newby big 10 commissioner has fear of lawsuits and no guts. OK for you to live with your glass half empty.

You just can't not come across as an imbecile, huh? We'd have kicked this thing if it weren't for tough guys like you. Fortunately, and this has been enjoyable for me, the axiom that if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes is proven time and again.

The doctor says a 30-year-old man recently died at the hospital after attending one of these parties.

“One of the things that was heart-wrenching that he said to his nurse was, ‘You know, I think I made a mistake.' And this young man went to a COVID party,” she said. “He didn’t really believe. He thought the disease was a hoax. He thought he was young and invincible and wouldn’t get affected by the disease.”

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/07/12/i-...g-man-texas-dies-after-attending-covid-party/

You just can't not come across as an imbecile, huh? We'd have kicked this thing if it weren't for tough guys like you. Fortunately, and this has been enjoyable for me, the axiom that if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes is proven time and again.

The doctor says a 30-year-old man recently died at the hospital after attending one of these parties.

“One of the things that was heart-wrenching that he said to his nurse was, ‘You know, I think I made a mistake.' And this young man went to a COVID party,” she said. “He didn’t really believe. He thought the disease was a hoax. He thought he was young and invincible and wouldn’t get affected by the disease.”

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/07/12/i-...g-man-texas-dies-after-attending-covid-party/
I always thought you highly intelligent superior libs were highly scientific. This is anecdotal. So we should stop living because of this? You are free to do so. 30 years under your bed.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn

Andrew Cuomo and Chris Murphy are responsible for far, far more deaths than the idiotic conspiracy theory crowd.

I always thought you highly intelligent superior libs were highly scientific. This is anecdotal. So we should stop living because of this? You are free to do so. 30 years under your bed.

Every time you say the "under the bed" thing, you look like a bigger dumbass. Just a heads up ;)

This is going to be a train wreck on multiple fronts. How many new deaths by Thanksgiving? Has the world lost the ability to delay gratification?

Until there is a viable vaccine available and given to the general population this disease outbreak is just going to increase. It is not just going to magically go away. It is a virus it’s only agenda is to propagate.

I get money will be lost. But bite the bullet now so we can slow down this virus and get our Country back to normal in 2021.

Leadership matters- someone get the adults back in the room please.
This has some sticker shock effect but it’s a reasonable man’s opinion. I do think a viable season was possible if leadership took action back in April versus the old hope is the plan approach.

I agree Mr. Roland 4000 %. We need to get our collective heads out of the sand now. Unless and until we get this virus going in the other direction we're going to have 200,000 dead around September 15. New cases are spiraling out of control, over 1,000 deaths each day. This is an epic battle against an enemy that doesn't care about your age, sex, or political leanings. Let's get real, this dam thing is lethal. Can't rely on a vacine anytime soon. Left unchecked by our stubbornness to wear masks, social distance, and trying to have in person education, we may have to deal with this pandemic for years to come.

How about this... How about letting grown ass adults decide for themselves where they can and cannot go. If you are fearful of getting sick or are an at risk individual, then by all means stay home. I have been in medicine for 25 years and know the "facts" of this. You don't isolate healthy individuals! I am tired of this narrative that "if you don't do a, b & c, then you are putting others at risk or that you are insensitive to others. Let adults make adult decisions.

As I have already shared with others, if this virus was a true pandemic, EVERYTHING would be closed, as it should be under those conditions... and their wouldn't even be a debate. The misinformation that is circulating out there is maddening to all of us in medicine. The differing "I think" ideas are why there are so many frustrated people out there regarding this.

This has some sticker shock effect but it’s a reasonable man’s opinion. I do think a viable season was possible if leadership took action back in April versus the old hope is the plan approach.
Bull. There is more to this than just the virus. Life needs to go on.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn

You call 1inamillion an imbecile. Well I happen to know what 1inamillion does for a living and I'd venture to guess his education level far surpasses yours. Give it up you've been owned.

Reactions: Bucky712 and BXY
You call 1inamillion an imbecile. Well I happen to know what 1inamillion does for a living and I'd venture to guess his education level far surpasses yours. Give it up you've been owned.
WTF is an imbecile? Hell I don't even know what woke means? :)

Reactions: CarmelHawki
I agree Mr. Roland 4000 %. We need to get our collective heads out of the sand now. Unless and until we get this virus going in the other direction we're going to have 200,000 dead around September 15. New cases are spiraling out of control, over 1,000 deaths each day. This is an epic battle against an enemy that doesn't care about your age, sex, or political leanings. Let's get real, this dam thing is lethal. Can't rely on a vacine anytime soon. Left unchecked by our stubbornness to wear masks, social distance, and trying to have in person education, we may have to deal with this pandemic for years to come.

The virus actually does care about your age at least in terms of its propensity to kill. Take a look at the fatality numbers for under 60 boss.

How would we have kicked it? What specifically would or should we have done to eradicate the virus? Please tell. You may want to let public health officials know as well.

The “shut down until there’s a vaccine crowd” will never answer the question about what happens if there is no vaccine or it’s only 50% effective or if it takes five years to develop. I have asked that directly several times and none of them have answered. They know nothing of the science on this issue and the difficulty of developing (in a short time) an effective vaccine for the coronavirus. They just have a hope and a prayer strategy though they claim to only be “about the science” yet when confronted with questions about the science of vaccines, they just ignore.

Then the self-proclaimed “science guys” say “well, I read a story about a 30 year old dying” or “I read a story about a 38 year old with permanent lung damage”. That is, of course, anecdotal and public health officials should not be making decisions based on anecdotal evidence but, rather, should base their decisions on the data. The data tells us that overwhelmingly if you are under the age of 70 your odds of dying from corona are extremely low. The data tells us that the vast majority that contract the virus will have no or mild symptoms and another large group will have moderate symptoms but heal fully in a few days.

I have also asked the self-proclaimed “science guys” if they know about the awful life changing things that a few who get the flu suffer from permanently. A few young healthy outliers who get the flu, can get brain damage, heart failure, organ damage and a host of other permanent effects. So if we want to talk about why covid should shut us down based on anecdotes of this person or that person having permanent damage, we ought to have the same discussion about the flu. But none of them will address that either.

Last edited:

I’m on the fence about football, partly due to safety and partly due to the hysteria that surrounds covid. But that said the above post misses the mark on your “side.” The article sounds like a grown person making a decision about their life. Was it dumb? Absolutely. But NOTHING fixes stupid. Especially not government. And furthermore, a healthy person getting sick and dying is NOT a new thing. That’s a reality we have been living with since...well...always.

The fact is that the risk of serious illness or death for the vast majority of people *from* covid is incredibly small. The truth about covid lies somewhere between you/Tom Roland and “hoax.”

And what do you propose? The idiotic lockdowns pushed by many will cost more lives than the virus.

The NYT just published an article projecting over 2 million excess global deaths from HIV, TB and Malaria. This doesn't include the numerous other deaths caused by lack of medical screenings which will lead to substantial cancer and heart disease mortality. The UK government is now projecting 200k lives to be lost because of their shutdown. Apply that to a country 5 times larger.

This guy is from the American Spectator , Far right> Fact check. The virus is not under control but could be if stupid people would follow instructions and if we had a national plan to save FB, but we don't>

How hard is it to wear a mask, social distance ,wash your hands and have a national plan of testing and tracing. In america I guess Its hard.

The politicians have failed us period. Both sides suck and be cause they suck we will be lucky to play two games.
The politicians have failed us, but we have also failed ourselves.The refusal to wear mask, social distance and attack this virus, together as one has divided us more than I thought I would ever see. Just look at these post, the language, the insults ,etc. All we want is the same thing- we won’t have it till we come together as one with a common plan and purpose.

Morons on this thread. Stupid thread is stupid. I'm guessing they want to get rid of stop signs. Get rid of speed limits. Get rid of any public health precautions.

The basic things that are being asked are not political. Only to those that want to make them political.

I don't care if you want to die...just don't force the rest of us to have that potential because you are a DIP$shit.

Last edited:
Morons on this thread. Stupid thread is stupid. I'm guessing they want to get rid of stop signs. Get rid of speed limits. Get rid of any public health precautions.

Hell... why can't I take a leak in front of a elementary school?

The basic things that are being asked are not political. Only to those that want to make them political.

I don't care if you want to die...just don't force the rest of us to have that potential because you are a DIP$shit.

You picked a bad day to start drinking again.

Reactions: millhawk and BXY
Nothing will "go back to normal". Thousands of lives will be lost, suicides will be up, many things that happen because of a simple football game will be lost. Its not about the game its the consequences for not having NFL or college football that will run deep for years and years to come. Finances, violence, mental health, marriages: We are seeing the worst parts of our political system and it will be worse.

Hard realities right here folks. I fear some of what's listed will only get worse.

Hell... why can't I take a leak in front of a elementary school?

You seriously can't be this stupid

Sarcasm my friend. Trying to point out the idiocy of those that don't think masks are worthwhile.

Actually the majority of clinical studies dismiss their effectiveness in reducing community spread. Only a few thin observational studies say otherwise. That's why the view of the CDC and WHO was for the general public not to wear through March.

I wear one in public because it's an unknown but you can get off your high horse about claiming it's a settled science. Science would lean the other way.

Reactions: just_somebody
Are there any schools that cancelled in-person classrooms but actually moving forward with athletics?

Actually the majority of clinical studies dismiss their effectiveness in reducing community spread. Only a few thin observational studies say otherwise. That's why the view of the CDC and WHO was for the general public not to wear through March.

I wear one in public because it's an unknown but you can get off your high horse about claiming it's a settled science. Science would lean the other way.

Actually, you are dead wrong. Absolutely wrong. My high horse will keep me and my family safe. The smartest people in this country know the facts. But I'm fine with Darwinism taking you out.

Yes, the preponderance of the studies before Covid found that cloth masks were generally ineffective in protecting the wearer from airborne viruses. But the “science guys” will all insist that it’s clearly established science and anyone who argues otherwise is an idiot.

How about this... How about letting grown ass adults decide for themselves where they can and cannot go. If you are fearful of getting sick or are an at risk individual, then by all means stay home. I have been in medicine for 25 years and know the "facts" of this. You don't isolate healthy individuals! I am tired of this narrative that "if you don't do a, b & c, then you are putting others at risk or that you are insensitive to others. Let adults make adult decisions.

As I have already shared with others, if this virus was a true pandemic, EVERYTHING would be closed, as it should be under those conditions... and their wouldn't even be a debate. The misinformation that is circulating out there is maddening to all of us in medicine. The differing "I think" ideas are why there are so many frustrated people out there regarding this.

What is your job and area of expertise in medicine?

You mean like Connecticut with a case positivity rate below 1%? For reference, the rate in Mississippi is currently over 21%.

Positivity rate is an artifact of testing. You can target hotspots like they did in Iowa in meatpacking plants and artificially increase that number.

Mortality is a much more consistent representation, with a more common denominator.

Also Connecticut had horrendous testing, requiring them to throw out a bunch of false negatives and positives.

Actually, you are dead wrong. Absolutely wrong. My high horse will keep me and my family safe. The smartest people in this country know the facts. But I'm fine with Darwinism taking you out.

Here is a CDC publication from February of 2020 indicating that cloth masks are not effective in protecting against airborne viruses. This summarizes multiple controlled studies. This is just one example of the pre-covid science on masks.
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

I expect that someone speaking in such absolutes calling someone who said the science on masks is mixed “dead wrong” will easily be able to cite to credible sources which dispute the linked CDC publication. So, let me guess, you’re a “science guy”, show me the science that supports the position that the science is settled on the effectiveness of masks.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElkGroveHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT