ADVERTISEMENT

PMac was MVP

Full text of tweet:

Payton Sandfort on Patrick McCaffery:

“He was about as good as I’ve seen him. Made some big-time shots, big-time plays. He was defending. If we can get him like that every night, it’s going to be huge. I’m really happy for him to kinda be back after battling through injuries. He was probably the difference in the game tonight.”

His body language better since he made those game-winning fts vs Mich..confidence is up.
I think it is kind and supportive voice if the Iowa fan that has carried Patrick thru these tough days. After all, Hawk fans are known for their understanding and patience towards players and coaches, especially when times are dark! Greatest fans in the world (especially when we win)!

I think it is kind and supportive voice if the Iowa fan that has carried Patrick thru these tough days. After all, Hawk fans are known for their understanding and patience towards players and coaches, especially when times are dark! Greatest fans in the world (especially when we win)!
I would remove “especially” and just say “when we win”.

Yes he was. That's the best Patrick has played in years.

That's also the most effort he's played with in a long time. He looked confident and like he wanted to be out there.

His best play of the game was chasing down that open court block from behind. I don't care that it was called a foul. That was great to see.

He also made a contest at the rim later in the game.

Hope he keeps playing with that energy.

PMac played by far his best game of the year but MVP was Freeman. Just think if he avoids fran's two foul purgatory from here on out.

Patrick was great offensively. Really gave the team a lift. But I'd give MVP to Freeman. He kept it from becoming a massive blow out in the first half. And he stuffed the stat sheet - 17 pts, 14 boards, 4 assists, and 4 blocks with no TOs.
Not that anyone else could have done a better job but Garcia sure had his way with Freeman in the first half.

Yes he was. That's the best Patrick has played in years.

That's also the most effort he's played with in a long time. He looked confident and like he wanted to be out there.

His best play of the game was chasing down that open court block from behind. I don't care that it was called a foul. That was great to see.

He also made a contest at the rim later in the game.

Hope he keeps playing with that energy.

Yes when PMAC hustled back and made that block I was surpised---he hasn't done that in past. I also saw him go to the ground on a jump ball situation, which he hasn't done in past. He still only got two rebounds vs Freeman's 14 boards and 4 blocks and about the same shooting performance, so I'd give the game MVP to Freeman.

Best game I have seen PMac play. Maybe Fran found something, primarily subbing Patrick for Krikke, instead Dix, which allowed Iowa to maintain some defense on the court.

The shot to Garcia's groin was by far the key shot of the game. Their other interior Goofer players are not nearly as talented. The Goofers shot out of the minds from 3 for the first 30 min, but Iowa finally did a much better job of guarding the perimeter players, once Garcia was sitting on the bench. Dix was especially good on the defensive end in the second half, and Owen came to life with Garcia gone...

It's probably too early but with Krikke's inability to do much of anything right now, no scoring, no defense, no rebounding, maybe Patrick needs to start again. Never thought I'd think it or post this thought. Fighting deleting this.......

It's probably too early but with Krikke's inability to do much of anything right now, no scoring, no defense, no rebounding, maybe Patrick needs to start again. Never thought I'd think it or post this thought. Fighting deleting this.......
I would keep Patrick coming off the bench, but if Krikke isn't scoring, his inability to defend makes him a huge liability. Patrick should primarily come in for him, definitely not Dix. We want both Tony and Josh both on the floor to give us perimeter defense and to keep some offensive flow.

If he can continue to play like this, he may make some money playing Euro ball.
Like Conner, Patrick is not going to play any professional basketball after he graduates from Iowa. He neither has the stamina nor the strength to endure a professional basketball schedule.
After watching him for 5 years you should understand that, if not you're nuttier then I thought.

Reactions: NI hawk
The embodiment of "what have you done for me lately." Didn't Krikke just score 22 and add 5 boards in our last game?

I would keep Patrick coming off the bench, but if Krikke isn't scoring, his inability to defend makes him a huge liability. Patrick should primarily come in for him, definitely not Dix. We want both Tony and Josh both on the floor to give us perimeter defense and to keep some offensive flow.
Even if Krikke is scoring its not worth the trade off a lot of the time with the defensive rebounds he should get but fails to secure.

There's certain matchups that he can be pretty efficient against and those are the times he should play more minutes but a lot of these teams that play two bigs it doesn't work very well on either end.

When Pat comes in for Krikke Payton becomes the 4.

With Sandfort at the 4 against a big he has a huge advantage on offense, as well as spacing things out, while the rebounding is still a little better and the defense can't be any worse.

Looks to me like the Hawks have 4 guys that pretty much bring it every night - Sandy, Perk, Dix and Freeman. If PMac or Krikke is playing well you have your base team for the 2nd half of games.

Looks to me like the Hawks have 4 guys that pretty much bring it every night - Sandy, Perk, Dix and Freeman. If PMac or Krikke is playing well you have your base team for the 2nd half of games.
Who that 5th guy is seems to be the issue for me. Currently, any player who assumes that role will have a serious flaw. He can give you offense but not defense or rebounding. Can defend and rebound but very little offense. Young guys who show promise, but aren’t there yet and don’t look to have the trust of the coach in big moments.

It’s obviously not possible, but just one solid, all-around player who gives effort and isn’t going to kill you would be nice. Like a Nicholas Baer or Anthony Clemmons type of player.

Best game I have seen PMac play. Maybe Fran found something, primarily subbing Patrick for Krikke, instead Dix, which allowed Iowa to maintain some defense on the court.

The shot to Garcia's groin was by far the key shot of the game. Their other interior Goofer players are not nearly as talented. The Goofers shot out of the minds from 3 for the first 30 min, but Iowa finally did a much better job of guarding the perimeter players, once Garcia was sitting on the bench. Dix was especially good on the defensive end in the second half, and Owen came to life with Garcia gone...
Shot to groin being key shot of the game i see what you did there lmao

The embodiment of "what have you done for me lately." Didn't Krikke just score 22 and add 5 boards in our last game?
and in the opposite view. Patrick finally plays a game like you would expect a senior to do and it will get him off the hook for any deficiencies the rest of the year. Fran will reinstall his newly minted star into the starting lineup.

and in the opposite view. Patrick finally plays a game like you would expect a senior to do and it will get him off the hook for any deficiencies the rest of the year. Fran will reinstall his newly minted star into the starting lineup.
Hope not. Patrick exchanging time with Krikke is the best outcome that could come from Patrick's "star" performance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT