ADVERTISEMENT

Podcast on the IowaSwarm NIL Collective that is being formed

TomKakert

Publisher, HawkeyeReport.com
Sep 16, 2001
For those who aren't aware, Iowa boosters are in the process of getting an NIL Collective up and running. A Director has been hired and will be announced shortly. We visited with the leader of the group, who also happens to be a member of our on-line community. He came on our podcast last night to discuss the plans and what the IowaSwarm Collective will look like and how it will function.

Great podcast! Thank you for putting this together. For anyone interested in what Iowa’s collective is going to look like, this is a must-listen.

Reactions: IAGuy and TomKakert
I didn't listen to it all, but the structure they are setting up sounds really interesting. Athletes helping local charities raise money is a great idea.

Let's hope it is effective for the community, the athlete and the athletic programs. That would be a big win.

For those who aren't aware, Iowa boosters are in the process of getting an NIL Collective up and running. A Director has been hired and will be announced shortly. We visited with the leader of the group, who also happens to be a member of our on-line community. He came on our podcast last night to discuss the plans and what the IowaSwarm Collective will look like and how it will function.

"we would like to introduce the Iowa Swarm NIL director"

iu

• Haha
Reactions: cm8124 and dirt33
If BF gave up his OC role and headed up the NIL instead, I'd be all in . . . depending on who took over as OC. And after BF's Section 8 fiasco back in the day, it might be good penance for him to work with local charities.

BTW: Combining NIL with local charities fits beautifully with the Iowa Wave tradition, so whoever thought of this approach is to be congratulated. I would be shocked, stunned if that person were Gary Barta.

If BF gave up his OC role and headed up the NIL instead, I'd be all in . . . depending on who took over as OC. And after BF's Section 8 fiasco back in the day, it might be good penance for him to work with local charities.

BTW: Combining NIL with local charities fits beautifully with the Iowa Wave tradition, so whoever thought of this approach is to be congratulated. I would be shocked, stunned if that person were Gary Barta.
And yet many have been on here raking Iowa over the coals for not getting this done, even though none of these people had any idea what was being put in place. If they get this all going fairly soon, AND its done right AND the Iowa way, then better to be a few months late haven already seen some of the issues, and yet made a real effort to be above board and on the right side of things then slopping through the mud like so many of these school are willing to do when it comes to money. At this point, MAYBE its cost us a couple of players, but long term I think we'll be on the right side of things, and continue to be both respected, and capable of competing as we have the last few decades.

And yet many have been on here raking Iowa over the coals for not getting this done, even though none of these people had any idea what was being put in place. If they get this all going fairly soon, AND its done right AND the Iowa way, then better to be a few months late haven already seen some of the issues, and yet made a real effort to be above board and on the right side of things then slopping through the mud like so many of these school are willing to do when it comes to money. At this point, MAYBE its cost us a couple of players, but long term I think we'll be on the right side of things, and continue to be both respected, and capable of competing as we have the last few decades.
As many, many people have said regarding NIL, it's going to take a while for the dust to settle to see how all this ends up working.

As was alluded to in the podcast, and as common sense would suggest, some of the ultra-aggressive approaches we have seen at some schools might not be sustainable in the long run. Whether it's IRS scrutiny, donor disenchantment, or general corruption, some of these collectives are not likely to survive.

Iowa's "Swarm Collective" looks like a very interesting, and well-thought-out, approach. I am interested to see how the program fares in this ever-evolving NIL environment.

I’m not happy with the approach. We need a collective that will sign big time recruits and transfers, along with homegrown stars to contracts that can provide 6-7 figures. (Attempting to) pay the 3rd string guard on the women’s basketball team the same as Caitlyn Clark or a star QB for Iowa is a sure way to suck at sports. There is no “right way” to pay players but you sure as hell can squander resources that way.

I’m not happy with the approach. We need a collective that will sign big time recruits and transfers, along with homegrown stars to contracts that can provide 6-7 figures. (Attempting to) pay the 3rd string guard on the women’s basketball team the same as Caitlyn Clark or a star QB for Iowa is a sure way to suck at sports. There is no “right way” to pay players but you sure as hell can squander resources that way.
Won’t be like that.
See my post in the bball forum - barta summer….

They were getting a full ride with plenty of perks. NIL has now reset the playing field and it will not see parity within our lifetimes.

It's interesting to me that Iowa's Athletic Department wants their program to be first class on the field and in the classroom, but the Athletic Department continues to be stuck in the 1980s. Then you get the perfect response from some of the fanbase that "it's ok to be a little late and a dollar short, we are Iowa after all, and it's ok to follow the crowd."

I call bullshit. The powers that be knew about NIL, they knew it would make a difference and they dragged their damn feet anyway. Their own coaches were telling them about what was happening...that the Transfer Portal is just a free agent portal and if you don't have an offering...you don't have a chance.

For once...I'd love to see our Athletic Department LEAD on something...other than discrimination claims. My initial take...I like the charity idea...great...but I don't think it's going to move the needle with how much money they will be competing against. This program needs to dig into the deep pockets of every company they can.

It's interesting to me that Iowa's Athletic Department wants their program to be first class on the field and in the classroom, but the Athletic Department continues to be stuck in the 1980s. Then you get the perfect response from some of the fanbase that "it's ok to be a little late and a dollar short, we are Iowa after all, and it's ok to follow the crowd."

I call bullshit. The powers that be knew about NIL, they knew it would make a difference and they dragged their damn feet anyway. Their own coaches were telling them about what was happening...that the Transfer Portal is just a free agent portal and if you don't have an offering...you don't have a chance.

For once...I'd love to see our Athletic Department LEAD on something...other than discrimination claims. My initial take...I like the charity idea...great...but I don't think it's going to move the needle with how much money they will be competing against. This program needs to dig into the deep pockets of every company they can.
Great, and thats your opinion. That doesn't mean everybody has to share it. The FACT is the fans are the ones who are REALLY losing their damn minds over this. How about we see what effect this really has on recruiting and winning before we lose are collective shit over all this. Personally I think the same handful of schools are going to keep right on getting better players then Iowa, (just like they ALWAYS have). Do you REALLY think that OSU, or Michigan, or Bama is going to get better players then they already do because of this. NO, their not. As for the other few, there's only so many of those 5 star kids. All thats probably going to happen is this is going to create a next teir of spoiled ass players who aren't really any better then what Iowa gets, but they'll have their pockets lined. That doesn't mean those teams who get a couple of those kids are going to win more games. We'll see. I'd tell you some of the crap thats already gone on at schools like Texas A&M is NOT sustainable, it just isn't. If they don't win a CFP then those deep pockets are going to lose their minds over throwing all that cash at a bunch of high school players, period.

You do realize that ADs cannot participate in NIL formation, right?

Wrong lol. There are virtually no rules to this. Even the notorious NCAA sticklers Ferentz and Barta are involved in talking to Iowa boosters to get several collectives started up ASAP. Frankly the NCAA is in no shape to try to prosecute a power 5 school even for blatant cheating - see Kansas.

Wrong lol. There are virtually no rules to this. Even the notorious NCAA sticklers Ferentz and Barta are involved in talking to Iowa boosters to get several collectives started up ASAP. Frankly the NCAA is in no shape to try to prosecute a power 5 school even for blatant cheating - see Kansas.
You are not only wrong, you are too dumb to give the time of day to. Later.

Well put KC…. my thoughts exactly!

and yet Iowa has one of the lowest transfer rates in the country……the program is built around hard work and character and they recruit the type of players that would appreciate this sort of collective arrangement

That’s the only winning system that will work at a school like Iowa…..people that don’t understand that are the same people that bitch want coaches fired after a 10 win season …..ask Nebraska how that worked out for them

That's wrong. They help set the guidelines for how the interaction with the Athlete and the Company has to work. They need to be made aware and set compliance rules. Here is the first step recommended by an attorney group representing Ohio State.

1. Identify your institution’s key NIL stakeholders.
Good policy follows good process. Since NIL will reach far beyond your athletic department, identify those business and academic units on campus that should be involved in the drafting process. Consider identifying representatives from athletics, financial aid, international student offices, student conduct, intellectual property and facilities management. The earlier stakeholders are brought into the process, the greater the buy-in and smoother the implementation. We are already seeing a number of policies that are being tested because the right people weren’t brought in early enough and a scramble ensues.

and yet Iowa has one of the lowest transfer rates in the country……the program is built around hard work and character and they recruit the type of players that would appreciate this sort of collective arrangement

That’s the only winning system that will work at a school like Iowa…..people that don’t understand that are the same people that bitch want coaches fired after a 10 win season …..ask Nebraska how that worked out for them
This board is the classic example of bi polar anyway. People losing their minds when the football team wins 9 or 10 games consistently. because our offense sucks, and then some of the same people jump to the basketball forum and bitch when we lose even though Fran's teams are always top five in scoring in the country and very exciting to watch play. YES, it would be nice to have it all, but frankly the guys coaching our teams, (sorry, I need to include Lisa Bluder as well), are doing a hell of a job keeping Iowa in the thick of things and competitive pretty much every year, in ALL the major sports. Maybe some year will actually enjoy that, whether we win national titles or not.

Right now you are correct...Iowa has low transfer rates. NIL programs are just starting to take effect...it will be an evolution process.

I'll tell you right now...if I'm a good player going into my junior year...and my family needs money...it would be hard for me to weigh my loyalty and love of a program to helping my family immediately. It's a decision people will have to make. I used Van Ness as an example...heres a guy that could blow up this year...would Alabama, Texas A&M, Ohio State be interested? He could make $500K for playing his junior year.

Iowa will need to counter these offers. Kelvin Bell alluded to it. He sends out an email to his guys every spring asking them if they are thinking about exploring transfer...he says he needs something to keep his guys in the fold in the way of NIL.

You are not only wrong, you are too dumb to give the time of day to. Later.

The original idea was that the schools were not supposed to be involved. No one really believes that this is not happening though, even at Iowa.

I would like to know what the fans who are griping about how Iowa has handled this are doing. What is stopping those fans from starting their own collective or contributing to an existing one to help the University? The time for sitting back and criticizing has passed. If you feel that passionately about it, then get off your butt and do something besides gripe on a message board.

The original idea was that the schools were not supposed to be involved. No one really believes that this is not happening though, even at Iowa.

I would like to know what the fans who are griping about how Iowa has handled this are doing. What is stopping those fans from starting their own collective or contributing to an existing one to help the University? The time for sitting back and criticizing has passed. If you feel that passionately about it, then get off your butt and do something besides gripe on a message board.
Those fans aren’t doing anything about it besides complaining. If they were they’d be here recruiting others to join in instead of just complaining all the time. If they don’t like how it’s being handled then it’s time to put up or shut up, Take Tx_Hawk for example, he’s doing something about it. and yet some are still complaining how that’s being handled. It’ll never be enough for some.

Probably missed this but:
1) How are Iowa athletes currently receiving NIL money
2) how do NIL collectives coordinate with coaches to give money to a desired recruit

That's wrong. They help set the guidelines for how the interaction with the Athlete and the Company has to work. They need to be made aware and set compliance rules. Here is the first step recommended by an attorney group representing Ohio State.

1. Identify your institution’s key NIL stakeholders.
Good policy follows good process. Since NIL will reach far beyond your athletic department, identify those business and academic units on campus that should be involved in the drafting process. Consider identifying representatives from athletics, financial aid, international student offices, student conduct, intellectual property and facilities management. The earlier stakeholders are brought into the process, the greater the buy-in and smoother the implementation. We are already seeing a number of policies that are being tested because the right people weren’t brought in early enough and a scramble ensues.
The AD will have to monitor NIL activity for compliance but will not control it. They cannot be involved with fund distribution. You really don't understand financial aid or NCAA standards regarding this stuff, do you? I worked in it for over 30 years so I have a pretty good grasp of it. It's not going to be a free-for-all once regulations kick in. Also, the IRS will be involved now. That changes things dramatically for "student-athletes" and ADs.

Right now you are correct...Iowa has low transfer rates. NIL programs are just starting to take effect...it will be an evolution process.

I'll tell you right now...if I'm a good player going into my junior year...and my family needs money...it would be hard for me to weigh my loyalty and love of a program to helping my family immediately. It's a decision people will have to make. I used Van Ness as an example...heres a guy that could blow up this year...would Alabama, Texas A&M, Ohio State be interested? He could make $500K for playing his junior year.

Iowa will need to counter these offers. Kelvin Bell alluded to it. He sends out an email to his guys every spring asking them if they are thinking about exploring transfer...he says he needs something to keep his guys in the fold in the way of NIL.
we’re losing players we developed now …. they leave early for the NFL…. I would think if a player is good enough another school is going to offer him big bucks he’d be good enough to get drafted

I get your concerns and we’ll probably get bit in the ass occasionally…… not a fan of the NIL as it’s been rolled out….. I do like the approach that this collective is taking to it…. so will the type of players that succeed at Iowa…..that’s my hope anyway

The AD will have to monitor NIL activity for compliance but will not control it. They cannot be involved with fund distribution. You really don't understand financial aid or NCAA standards regarding this stuff, do you? I worked in it for over 30 years so I have a pretty good grasp of it. It's not going to be a free-for-all once regulations kick in. Also, the IRS will be involved now. That changes things dramatically for "student-athletes" and ADs.
Well if the AD and the athletic department are monitoring and setting compliance rules...I'm pretty sure that means they are involved. That was my point. If you were talking about involvement in money raising or collective management/fund distribution...you are correct. I think you were a little hard on people here...and I think you were wrong.

This is an ever evolving process. The Schools need to have visibility into what's going on with their student athletes. I'm assuming they will be involved in restricting the types of companies their student athletes can be involved in. No porn for example. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: monoman3232
Well if the AD and the athletic department are monitoring and setting compliance rules...I'm pretty sure that means they are involved. That was my point. If you were talking about involvement in money raising or collective management/fund distribution...you are correct. I think you were a little hard on people here...and I think you were wrong.

This is an ever evolving process. The Schools need to have visibility into what's going on with their student athletes. I'm assuming they will be involved in restricting the types of companies their student athletes can be involved in. No porn for example. LOL.
They aren't setting compliance rules, the NCAA is. They just have to do their due diligence to make sure that the entities involved don't break the rules. And neither they nor anyone in the coaching staffs can be involved with the offers or distribution of NIL money.

This is a mess, and it is going to hit the fan soon. There are already schools who appear to be breaking the soon-to-be-written rules. Their athletes could lose amateur status (the only real stick that the NCAA can wield).

They aren't setting compliance rules, the NCAA is. They just have to do their due diligence to make sure that the entities involved don't break the rules. And neither they nor anyone in the coaching staffs can be involved with the offers or distribution of NIL money.

This is a mess, and it is going to hit the fan soon. There are already schools who appear to be breaking the soon-to-be-written rules. Their athletes could lose amateur status (the only real stick that the NCAA can wield).
Attorneys for the NIL Collectives, and attorneys for the players have already drafted all the necessary paperwork, and they are prepared to file in court immediately when the impotent NCAA revokes amateur status.

Additionally, these same attorneys have prepared paperwork to establish a professional organization for the players.

Given the foregoing, let the windbags at the NCAA wield their mighty limp stick, and see what happens.

Anybody (Gary Barta) worried about what the NCAA "might do" is a wimp.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Attorneys for the NIL Collectives, and attorneys for the players have already drafted all the necessary paperwork, and they are prepared to file in court immediately when the impotent NCAA revokes amateur status.

Additionally, these same attorneys have prepared paperwork to establish a professional organization for the players.

Given the foregoing, let the windbags at the NCAA wield their mighty limp stick, and see what happens.

Anybody (Gary Barta) worried about what the NCAA "might do" is a wimp.
JFC, one minute people bitch about Barta not being prepared for what is to come and the next they are bitching about him preparing for what he knows is coming.

If you know so much, why aren't you doing something about it (see Tx_Hawk) instead of bitching? You obviously are passionate about it. What is the problem then?

JFC, one minute people bitch about Barta not being prepared for what is to come and the next they are bitching about him preparing for what he knows is coming.

If you know so much, why aren't you doing something about it (see Tx_Hawk) instead of bitching? You obviously are passionate about it. What is the problem then?
The problem? People who can't, or won't, adapt to a changing world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT