ADVERTISEMENT

Polasek & Copeland

Polasek o-line, Copeland rb(coached it three years at niu) Brian ferentz te. Woods to defense. Wr coach to be named later

Reactions: ichawk24
My vibe was that Polasek was going to come in and be the OL coach. Now the question is how is everything else going to shake out?

Given that Brian was already serving as the running-game coordinator - I can see him sliding over and covering the RBs. This would probably cause the fewest changes.
  • Polasek to the OL
  • From his OC spot, Brian also covers RBs
  • Woods stays with TEs + special teams
  • Copeland to WRs + special teams
However, if you look at Copeland's body of work, he's had a proven impact on RBs and he's also spent a lot of time coaching special teams. So an alternative scenario is:
  • Polasek to the OL
  • From his OC spot, Brian takes over TEs
  • Woods shifts over from TEs to WRs and still does special teams
  • Copeland to RBs + special teams
In the long term, I don't see O'Keefe sticking around. I think that he's just going to finish off the last few years of his career mentoring Brian and Iowa's QBs.

In the short term, I think that the staff is complete enough to cover spring camp. I'm still curious about what Kirk will do with the final hire once it becomes available in April.

My vibe was that Polasek was going to come in and be the OL coach. Now the question is how is everything else going to shake out?

Given that Brian was already serving as the running-game coordinator - I can see him sliding over and covering the RBs. This would probably cause the fewest changes.
  • Polasek to the OL
However, if you look at Copeland's body of work, he's had a proven impact on RBs and he's also spent a lot of time coaching special teams. So an alternative scenario is:
  • Polasek to the OL
In the long term, I don't see O'Keefe sticking around. I think that he's just going to finish off the last few years of his career mentoring Brian and Iowa's QBs.

In the short term, I think that the staff is complete enough to cover spring camp. I'm still curious about what Kirk will do with the final hire once it becomes available in April.
Iowa still has one more hire to make... I keep hearing demo odems name coming up.. woods prolly back to defense and Brian to tight ends would make sense..

Iowa still has one more hire to make... I keep hearing demo odems name coming up.. woods prolly back to defense and Brian to tight ends would make sense..
Having Woods go back to help out at LBs definitely would make sense. Also, thinking long term, Morgan is going to want to retire one of these days. Bell getting groomed to take over that gig?

Should we start being like the big boys and hire the biggest 5-star receivers dad to coach?
Isn't there a proposal by NCAA right now that would make it illegal to hire a parent of student that is within two years of attending college? So we would need to identify stud WR as 8th graders so we can get all the appropriate coaches fired to make room for daddy!! This issue seems more common in BB from what I recall. This is exactly what OSU did to get Kelsey Mitchell to come to school there when they hired her dad as an assistant.

Roy- Demo would be terrific imo but I haven't seen his name too much. Where are you seeing him mentioned? Awesome if it happens

• Polasek to the OL
  • Polasek to the OL

True, he is 63. It's not uncommon for a coaches to stick around until they are no longer able to perform their task. It wouldn't surprise me if O'keefe played out the next 5 years. Especially being in a role that isn't as exhausting as OC or the NFL. Kirk will let him stay until he's ready to be done.

My prediction
OL- Polasek KF will help with OT's
RB- Brian Anderson + Asst-Special Teams
TE- BF and (OC)
WR- Copeland Special Team Coach
QB- KOK

DL- Reese Morgan
DE- Calvin Bell+ recruiting or new hire?
LB- Woods
DB- Wallace
DB- Phil Parker + DC help from 2 GA assistants

Last edited:
Roy- Demo would be terrific imo but I haven't seen his name too much. Where are you seeing him mentioned? Awesome if it happens
Insider info from another site. He has been in talks with the coaching staff. The reason they may be waiting in him is because they know they have him and wanted to secure these other guys first. Outside of kok(who I think could be a qb coach at most colleges) the other 2 may be consider hot comundity in the coaching world.. demo is an upcoming coach who is doing great things at sfa, and I would love Iowa to grab him.. I think ex players can help sell Iowa even better to recruits because they went through the experience as a player.

Insider info from another site. He has been in talks with the coaching staff. The reason they may be waiting in him is because they know they have him and wanted to secure these other guys first. Outside of kok(who I think could be a qb coach at most colleges) the other 2 may be consider hot comundity in the coaching world.. demo is an upcoming coach who is doing great things at sfa, and I would love Iowa to grab him.. I think ex players can help sell Iowa even better to recruits because they went through the experience as a player.

Great stuff - thanks! Demo brings nice TX recruiting connections as well - hope this works out.

Great stuff - thanks! Demo brings nice TX recruiting connections as well - hope this works out.
As we look down the road - it is interesting to think about Iowa's recruiting footprint in the coming years. Let's suppose things play out as folks suspect ... and we also benefit from landing Demo Odems as well.

Brian Ferentz - Grew up spending time in Iowa, Ohio, and Maryland. Already has a background recruiting Ohio and the Chicago area.

LeVar Woods - Grew up in northwest Iowa. Also spent time as journeyman NFLer. Has recruited Kansas City area, Texas, and the Atlanta area.

Phil Parker - Michigan guy - definitely has always had a recruiting presence in Michigan and parts of Ohio.

Seth Wallace - Grew up in roughly central/east central Iowa. Through his coaching career, he presumably has cultivated connections in Chicagoland (while at Lake Forest) and around in Georgia, Florida, and Alabama (while at Valdosta State). His brief stint as our recruiting coordinator likely further expanded his working relationship with high school coaches within Iowa's recruiting regions.

Tim Polasek - Definitely has a strong thumbprint particularly in Wisconsin and the Dakotas (due to college and coaching stints in Wisconsin and North Dakota). His stint at NIU may have given him exposure/experience in recruiting Chicagoland too.

Kelvin Bell - Grew up in Mississippi. Coaching stints have given him experience in Nebraska and Illinois. Obviously, his recruiting experience and "thumbprint" will continue to expand as he serves as our recruiting coordinator.

Kelton Copeland - Grew up in Florida. Following that, as both a player and a coach, he spent a lot of time in Kansas. I could see him growing our recruiting footprint in Kansas City - perhaps expanding beyond there too. Also, he's spent quite a while at NIU too - thus, he has experience recruiting that region there. Furthermore, he even has coaching experience in South Dakota - furthermore, complementing Iowa's Midwestern recruiting region.

Demo Odems - Grew up in Austin, Texas. Coaching experiences have likely helped him to develop recruiting relationships in Austin, parts of Arkansas, and east Texas.

Anyhow, Iowa's recruiting footprint will be an interesting thing to watch as it continues to evolve. Due to the continuity of the coaching staff, we continue to have connections in New England, New Jersey, and some in Pennsylvania.

He could have been talked about for a position before they decided to go with Copeland. Which is my guess.

Honestly I am pumped about the hires! Copeland is proven himself nicely and having 2 former OC's and BF will be awesome! I know and understand that I am considered a "homer" on most things, but in this scenario I am not sure anybody would think the 3 hires that were announced would be anything but positive. Great character, great track record, and a great fit with all 3 hires IMO.

2015 MAC recruiter of the year according to some on twitter.

Seems like a couple solid hires for the HAWKS ! It was important KF stepped his game up and he did excellent.

He could have been talked about for a position before they decided to go with Copeland. Which is my guess.
While my initial guess would be that Iowa might opt for a defense coach with the last hire (that comes available in April) - I wouldn't discount the possibility that the coaches might just look for somebody who is a good "fit" first. In that case, Odems might still be "in play." Odems was an RB coach at Montana State. Brian might opt to work with the TEs, thereby shifting Woods back over to the D (presumably back over to the OLBs), and that could open up the RB coaching spot to Odems.

I really liked the NDSU OL when they were beating our brains in. I'll take that coach. Copeland is a much needed recruiting assistant. But as was noted earlier, it's easier to get players into NIU than Iowa academically. I'm not getting too excited until I see some results on the field. We've seen resumes on paper look good before and have been disappointed (cough....GD...cough).

Reactions: HawkNole09
Can we all agree on this one?

KF nailed it. Fit, positional flexibility, expanding the recruiting base, from schools that can hang with Big10 teams, coaching units that outperform. He nailed it.

Much better than I was expecting. I'm happy for all those Hawkeyes. I feel like they just took a good step forward.

Can we all agree on this one?

KF nailed it. Fit, positional flexibility, expanding the recruiting base, from schools that can hang with Big10 teams, coaching units that outperform. He nailed it.

Much better than I was expecting. I'm happy for all those Hawkeyes. I feel like they just took a good step forward.

Yes, nailed it good! These new coaches give me hope for the present and future. I agree with wsc72 that polesak has a promotion in his future...

Vroom your house must smell like crap, because you're always s******g on everything
Wtf are u talking about, it's easier academic entry requirements at niu vs iowa for athletes, do you deny that? Go seagull on someone else's posts.

ADVERTISEMENT