ADVERTISEMENT

Polasek gone

He took a pay cut to go to a lesser known team In a weak conference. You might be able to argue he made a resume move but it's pretty hard to justify this as "up" when he is making hundreds of thousands less to leave the b10 and move to larmie Wyoming.

It looked clear to me when he came in that he saw the Iowa OL job as a well paying educational opportunity on OL technique and that it would just be a short term learning experience on his way to building offensive football knowledge. He knew then that there was no path to advancement for him at Iowa. He has capitalized on that game plan. Good for him.

Iowa, not so much. We suffered severely on the OL as he learned. Now, after we have invested the time, money and energy in him and he has completed his apprenticeship, he's gone.

For those keeping score:
Tim Polasek ----- 1
KF ------ -- 0

Did a little research, Mike Goff would be a great choice. Young enough to still be enthusiastic but sufficiently experienced to know what he is doing. Does anyone know how much he got paid at Western Ky? We could surely and substantially out pay any school in that range.

Why wouldn't the Iowa OL job be popular, other than money and I do not know what Iowa will spend? We are a school known for good O line play and putting linemen in the NFL. You walk in with at least one AA on your line, a room full of decent other linemen and an incoming class with four high level recruits, including three 4*s. Its a nice university town in which to live with children.

The move from a top twenty P5 program position coach to a place like Wyoming to be an OC may involve a financial hair cut but it gives the resume a shine. The pay cut is like a long term investment in the future.

I've heard Ladell just does not want to travel and recruit. I think Weisman's intensity would work well with recruits. Like the OL coach, the RB coach isn't stepping into an empty room. Whoever it is will kick off his Iowa career with a returning first team All Big Ten running back and a chance to recruit some other guys he likes.

Winning programs lose coaches to promotional opportunities. This isn't a terrible set back, we just need to bring in good replacements.

Last edited:
Regardless what way you spin it this hurts ... I hope a ton of players weren’t “tied” to these guys like I go where you go type thing as that would be a disaster... I liked Polasek not sure what the beef people have with him etc but we’re losing 2 quality coaches and as others stated get the hiring done quick pay the bucks needed for quality coaches who CAN RECRUIT as well, preferably down south or out west where the talent seems to grow on trees or even the east coast like yours truly New Jersey

I hope we get guys that are not only good position coaches but good recruiters as well.
You're absolutely right on that NH! There are a lot of young good coaches out there at GO5 schools that the players relate too. That's what we need!

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Sorry the thread was TLDR by the time I got here, but honest question, was Polasek good? I know he came in with some fanfare giving where he came from but I feel like I didn't hear much about him while he was here.

You guys are missing the real story here. This is the same thing that happened to J. Hayden Fry in his last several years and the team’s recruiting and record started to decline. Coaches are concerned that Ferentz will at some point in the future retire and they better bail now for any good opportunity that comes their way. The only staff that will hang in until his retirement are his sons, son in law, and those close to retirement (Parker) and those no other P5 program wants. Iowa is paying its assistant’s very well compared to everyone but Clemson and Alabama and a very few others. Let’s see who he hires to replace these guys. Will they be real qualified and experienced or will they be on the downhill slide or green. This signals the beginning of the end of the Ferentz era unless he takes things to the next level and wins the West, the BIG and weak Barta passes the torch to Brian.
Hayden's demise was his last 9-10 seasons. Ferentz has already been through the turnover of his original staff. Way past where Hayden was

Sorry the thread was TLDR by the time I got here, but honest question, was Polasek good? I know he came in with some fanfare giving where he came from but I feel like I didn't hear much about him while he was here.
The run game has improved from where it was, and that can be largely attributed to more creative play-calling that have kept defense honest, as well as now having the most realistic NFL RB prospect Iowa has had in over a decade. But Polasek has been the guy in charge so he has to receive at least some credit for the run game, and Wirfs and Daniels were high round picks and that's not done on just talent alone.

In searching for a new OL coach, don't keep it so simple or revert to internal/Iowa ties, Kirk. Iowa should be able to attract a great OL coach because of the production of pro prospects. OL development will continue to be high because of how involved Kirk and Brian are, but you still need a good OL coach. If you can find a talented coach who can recruit well but wants to use Iowa as a stepping stone for an NFL job in 3-4 years then still go for him.

60% of the posters talking about this being a huge loss were the same ones who wanted him fired in the previous two seasons. Some examples:

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/i’m-done-with-polasek.287269/

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/polasek.334745/

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/fire-polasek-and-brian-ferentz.288306/

Having said that, he is a good coach after a shaky start.

Last edited:
You guys are missing the real story here. This is the same thing that happened to J. Hayden Fry in his last several years and the team’s recruiting and record started to decline. Coaches are concerned that Ferentz will at some point in the future retire and they better bail now for any good opportunity that comes their way. The only staff that will hang in until his retirement are his sons, son in law, and those close to retirement (Parker) and those no other P5 program wants. Iowa is paying its assistant’s very well compared to everyone but Clemson and Alabama and a very few others. Let’s see who he hires to replace these guys. Will they be real qualified and experienced or will they be on the downhill slide or green. This signals the beginning of the end of the Ferentz era unless he takes things to the next level and wins the West, the BIG and weak Barta passes the torch to Brian.
You miss the mark by a long way. Hayden Fry was ill. Completely different from Kirk's situation.

It’s a move up in title but still a lateral move. KF will attract good staff. He needs younger, good, ambitious coaches.

Anybody hired as an OL coach by KF and has success will be a made man in the industry.

And as for RB coaching candidates all you have to say is the last guy here kicked butt and the NFL came and found him in 3 years.

Bell, Copeland, Foster, Polasek injected a lot of needed energy into the program. There’s plenty of young coaches out there we’ve never heard of - I trust KF will find some
I agree with this. In addition, the program has to be ready to continue to find dynamic assistant coaches who will inject vitality because they, in turn, will be sought for other desirable positions.

People bitching about BF as a oc have to keep in mind it can't be easy doing that job with KF as the head coach.

BF is doing fine.. I do not understand the hand wringing about two coaches moving on to better opportunities.
Foster is going to be an NFL RB coach for goodness sakes. Polasek is going to be a D1 program OC! This is a good thing for the Hawk program. Coaches will look at working here as a step ladder to bigger things and that should help us bring in better coaches and recruiters. Now we just need to bring in two home run hires to replace them and we are golden. I hope for Yanda and Betts personally. Christ, Saban replaces 3/4 of his staff every season.

Regardless what way you spin it this hurts ... I hope a ton of players weren’t “tied” to these guys like I go where you go type thing as that would be a disaster... I liked Polasek not sure what the beef people have with him etc but we’re losing 2 quality coaches and as others stated get the hiring done quick pay the bucks needed for quality coaches who CAN RECRUIT as well, preferably down south or out west where the talent seems to grow on trees or even the east coast like yours truly New Jersey
Polasek recruited Wisconsin, Minnesota and similar areas so they needs someone to replace him there but year Foster was recruiting in the South some so it would be gone for someone to replace that. Would have never gotten Goodson without him.

It was good that he came to Iowa. I heard nothing but good things about him during his time here.

Bohl was very successful, but Polasek needed to get out of that bubble and go work somewhere other than a Bohl program, even if it meant a step down.

Really smart career move for him to move there now. He's back in a coordinator role and Bohl is 62, so there's a decent chance at sliding into the head coach's spot when Bohl retires.

Not really relevant to this conversation, but since you're being snarky again, tell me where our current HC
was ever a coordinator. And yes, I know, that's part of his problem.
Not sure where you’re going but I’ll take the bait. He was a head coach at Maine (yes, I know Maine) for 3 years. And not very successful. But he was a head coach, which is a step above a coordinator in case you didn’t know that. Now go back to bashing Petras and the rest of the program.

People bitching about BF as a oc have to keep in mind it can't be easy doing that job with KF as the head coach.

A strong coordinator doesn't accept the job without a clear understanding and agreement about over which aspects he has complete control. That's particularly important if he's taking over a unit that has been badly underperforming.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Not sure where you’re going but I’ll take the bait. He was a head coach at Maine (yes, I know Maine) for 3 years. And not very successful. But he was a head coach, which is a step above a coordinator in case you didn’t know that. Now go back to bashing Petras and the rest of the program.

You couldn't answer the question about where he was a coordinator, could you? That's
because he's never been one. A HC is a HC and a coordinator is a coordinator, whether it'd Maine, Iowa
or wherever. If you think his never having served in that capacity hasn't had a negative impact on his decision-making, distribution of responsibility among his staff, encouraging and accepting input from the staff, hiring selections,..... I don't know what to tell you.

You couldn't answer the question about where he was a coordinator, could you? That's
because he's never been one. A HC is a HC and a coordinator is a coordinator, whether it'd Maine, Iowa
or wherever. If you think his never having served in that capacity hasn't had a negative impact on his decision-making, distribution of responsibility among his staff, encouraging and accepting input from the staff, hiring selections,..... I don't know what to tell you.

What exactly are you saying? If anything, KF's strongest attribute is as the CEO, delegating what needs to be delegated. He doesn't call plays on either side of the ball. He has a vision for what he wants his teams to be and act like, and set out to do that. Now, people can disagree on that vision (and many have). But I don't see how KF not being a coordinator has negatively impacted his ability to coach at Iowa.

Then we should hire him from Vanderbilt.

If Iowa really wanted him, then yes they could. Who knows if that is the direction KF wants to go. We fans really need to get off the "has to have Iowa ties" thing. Yes, Iowa ties are good. But getting the right coach is more important. Foster, Copeland, Phil Parker, Polasek were all not "Iowa guys" yet have done or did good jobs. Woods, Bell are "Iowa guys" and doing a good job.

I'm most concerned with getting a great OL coach who is a great fit for the program. If that is an Iowa person, great. If not, then not.

I think it's a smart move for Polasek which will open up a world of options for his future:

1. If he does remotely well at Worming he'll likely have a job in waiting as Iowa's OC if/when Ferentz moves on and if/when Brian Ferentz takes over at Iowa
2. He'll probably have a head coaching job at NDSU if their current coach moves on
3. If Bohl retires from Wyoming on a positive note Polasek will likely be the replacement
4. Major success at Wyoming will open up plenty of other non-power 5 head coaching opportunities in Midwest for Polasek.

I personally hope he returns to Iowa. He has a knack for spotting recruits that fit Iowa's mold.

BF is doing fine.. I do not understand the hand wringing about two coaches moving on to better opportunities.
Foster is going to be an NFL RB coach for goodness sakes. Polasek is going to be a D1 program OC! This is a good thing for the Hawk program. Coaches will look at working here as a step ladder to bigger things and that should help us bring in better coaches and recruiters. Now we just need to bring in two home run hires to replace them and we are golden. I hope for Yanda and Betts personally. Christ, Saban replaces 3/4 of his staff every season.
Much of the "hand-wringing" i suspect is by rival fans trying to sling mud at KF.
All said and done, BF is solid at OC. The two departing position coaches came in without fanfare at their positions, yet did very well in the environment fostered by the Iowa football program. The ecosystem demonstrates that it can absorb competent people and help them be effective.

I hope we get guys that are not only good position coaches but good recruiters as well.

Yes. The RB selection should be quite straight forward- a great young recruiter with a RB coaching background.

The OL job is much more difficult because of the complexity involved. In order of importance,, here is how I see the need for 3 primary skill sets:

1) Ability to get OL to function as an effective unit. Our OLs have been way below average because of shortcomings in this area. Philbin and the guy who had the heart attack have been clearly our best.

2) Recruiting-this was Polasek's largest contribution and we need someone that can match or exceed his results.

3) Teaching OL technique and thus developing individual players. This is the wheel house of KF so I don't think we need an expert in this area.

Polasek is a good young coach but was a terrible selection for OL coach IMO. You can't put a complete novice into one of the most complex coaching roles.

The difficulty with this selection is that those most qualified in the most critical skill set 1) are by definition, going to be older, and thus probably less recruiting oriented. But the search needs to be for someone with a clear track record of OL results (development of individuals not nearly as important) who also has the highest available recruiting proficiency.

As an aside, probably part of the view of those leaving and of new candidates is that advancement beyond position coach is blocked because nobody is going to hire BF away. Young candidates may just judge Iowa as a stepping stone and that's ok. I've always felt better about hiring upwardly mobile people. But for that reason,we should get ready for more staff turnover. But the OL position requiring an older coach may work to our advantage. Many of those guys have decided that at this point, for them, family and stability is more important than career advancement.

Last edited:
Reactions: NevadaHawk
Admittedly I'm in kind of a pissy mood this morning but if Polasek leaving means going back to more zone scheme and 3.0 yards per carry I'm going to be ****ing furious.
This I agree with. The Iowa blocking scheme has evolved for sure over the last few years into something more effective than it was before and just after polasek's arrival.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
What exactly are you saying? If anything, KF's strongest attribute is as the CEO, delegating what needs to be delegated. He doesn't call plays on either side of the ball. He has a vision for what he wants his teams to be and act like, and set out to do that. Now, people can disagree on that vision (and many have). But I don't see how KF not being a coordinator has negatively impacted his ability to coach at Iowa.
You are forgetting some very key facts. Do you not remember the times that it wasn't the RB coach or even the OC who determined which RB got playing time, but rather the offensive genius KF?

How about clock management? After season after season of proving his incompetence, have you seen him delegate that to someone on the staff who has a clue, or even ask for their input. It's impossible that they are all as clueless.

How about the struggle with KOK for so long to keep Stanzi on the bench. And many other player decisions.

So many of our top performers finally got their chance, not because of a good decision allowed by a position coach or even a coordinator, but as "no choice" because of injury.

I could go on and on, but the biggest limitations of the program have been created by KF making decisions that he's unsuited to make. Do you think it's coincidental that he admittedly concentrates more on the offense and that's where we significantly underperform?

Polasek beat the Hawkeyes at Kinnick when he was coaching with NDSU. I liked their offensive scheme. I wish he would have been Iowa's OC.
Ugh what a terrible game, IIRC we were missing 3 OL and a few others...early kick, going through the motions, etc. Outplayed, little energy, etc, etc. Thanks NDSU for making my 7 year old cry that day...

You are forgetting some very key facts. Do you not remember the times that it wasn't the RB coach or even the OC who determined which RB got playing time, but rather the offensive genius KF?

How about clock management? After season after season of proving his incompetence, have you seen him delegate that to someone on the staff who has a clue, or even ask for their input. It's impossible that they are all as clueless.

How about the struggle with KOK for so long to keep Stanzi on the bench. And many other player decisions.

So many of our top performers finally got their chance, not because of a good decision allowed by a position coach or even a coordinator, but as "no choice" because of injury.

I could go on and on, but the biggest limitations of the program have been created by KF making decisions that he's unsuited to make. Do you think it's coincidental that he admittedly concentrates more on the offense and that's where we significantly underperform?

I get it. You hate KF.

I have no idea who decides which RB's play. Ultimately it's always the head coach's call. This decade, which RB has not played which should have been?
Clock management. Iowa has become much better about game management in recent years. Yes, they still make mistakes. Literally every fan base of every team complains about their coach's clock management, with the exception of perhaps Belichik. In the last 6-7 years, Iowa has gone a lot more into the analytics route and as a result they go for it on 4th down a lot more than they used to (I wish they would still more).
Oh yes, back to the Stanzi decision. I have posted many times at length about that. Yes, Iowa dropped the Pitt game because Christensen stunk. It's obvious in pre-season that the coaches thought Stanzi had gained ground/passed Christensen. So they played both guys right away. Stanzi was better. So they started him against Iowa State and he was absolutely terrible. 5-14 with 2 picks. Christensen came in, basically didn't turn it over and went 4-5, Brodell returned a punt for a TD and Iowa won. So they started Christensen and played both QB's the next week at Pitt. Christensen led Iowa on a TD drive to go up 21-20 in the second half and they let him ride out the game. He couldn't get it done and Iowa lost. So KF went to Stanzi full time after that. And proceeded to lose the next 2 games to Northwestern and MSU, and Stanzi wasn't very good in either one. But they stuck with him. And the rest is history.
Christensen was a guy who started every game the prior year. The coaches saw Stanzi gaining ground, so they played both guys. Stanzi was handed the start at Iowa State. If he would have played well, that would have been it. But he imploded so they went to back to Christensen and gave him a chance to prove it or not against a non-conference opponent. He couldn't do it so they went back to Stanzi and stuck with it. So no, KF and O'Keefe didn't hold back Stanzi. They did what they said, the opened it up and switched QB's.

Who are these other players that finally "got a chance" only because of injury? Dez King did get a start right away as a freshman due to an injury. But he shined and they kept him in. So many of the recent draft picks all played as freshmen. A. Nelson, played as a freshman. Same for Hooker, Epenesa, Wirfs, Hockenson, Fant, Brandon Smith and ISM played as freshmen. Same for Ragaini and Tracy. Dane Belton played as a freshman. Hankins did too. Kaevon Meriweather started every game last year as a freshman. Linderbaum started every game as a redshirt freshman. Goodson played every game as a freshman and took over as the starter late in the year. How are guys being held back? If you can play, you will see the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT