ADVERTISEMENT

Polasek gone

Sorry the thread was TLDR by the time I got here, but honest question, was Polasek good? I know he came in with some fanfare giving where he came from but I feel like I didn't hear much about him while he was here.
Kinda feel the same. Simply in opinion only from ‘17-20 under TP I noticed a decent pass blocking OL with avg run blocking. At Iowa TP did ok recruiting. Believe Y Black has the most upside while plumb and ince have potential to stay in the rotation. Guaranteed KF vets his hires and has a good idea when hiring assistants if they are on a 3, 5 or 10 year plan. He knew way before last week that both Foster and TP were on the market and most likely the SD and Wy head coaches talked to KF about how they are as coaches. We’ll be fine with the hire at OL and don’t expect a drop off. Do feel however the RB coach needs make a bit of a splash.

I get it. You hate KF.

I have no idea who decides which RB's play. Ultimately it's always the head coach's call. This decade, which RB has not played which should have been?
Clock management. Iowa has become much better about game management in recent years. Yes, they still make mistakes. Literally every fan base of every team complains about their coach's clock management, with the exception of perhaps Belichik. In the last 6-7 years, Iowa has gone a lot more into the analytics route and as a result they go for it on 4th down a lot more than they used to (I wish they would still more).
Oh yes, back to the Stanzi decision. I have posted many times at length about that. Yes, Iowa dropped the Pitt game because Christensen stunk. It's obvious in pre-season that the coaches thought Stanzi had gained ground/passed Christensen. So they played both guys right away. Stanzi was better. So they started him against Iowa State and he was absolutely terrible. 5-14 with 2 picks. Christensen came in, basically didn't turn it over and went 4-5, Brodell returned a punt for a TD and Iowa won. So they started Christensen and played both QB's the next week at Pitt. Christensen led Iowa on a TD drive to go up 21-20 in the second half and they let him ride out the game. He couldn't get it done and Iowa lost. So KF went to Stanzi full time after that. And proceeded to lose the next 2 games to Northwestern and MSU, and Stanzi wasn't very good in either one. But they stuck with him. And the rest is history.
Christensen was a guy who started every game the prior year. The coaches saw Stanzi gaining ground, so they played both guys. Stanzi was handed the start at Iowa State. If he would have played well, that would have been it. But he imploded so they went to back to Christensen and gave him a chance to prove it or not against a non-conference opponent. He couldn't do it so they went back to Stanzi and stuck with it. So no, KF and O'Keefe didn't hold back Stanzi. They did what they said, the opened it up and switched QB's.

Who are these other players that finally "got a chance" only because of injury? Dez King did get a start right away as a freshman due to an injury. But he shined and they kept him in. So many of the recent draft picks all played as freshmen. A. Nelson, played as a freshman. Same for Hooker, Epenesa, Wirfs, Hockenson, Fant, Brandon Smith and ISM played as freshmen. Same for Ragaini and Tracy. Dane Belton played as a freshman. Hankins did too. Kaevon Meriweather started every game last year as a freshman. Linderbaum started every game as a redshirt freshman. Goodson played every game as a freshman and took over as the starter late in the year. How are guys being held back? If you can play, you will see the field.

Correct as usual Dodger. We have more younger guys playing than ever before as Dodger stated. Roman wants to go back and beat the dead horse of Stanzi-Jake C from what, 8-9 years ago? How about Ohio State and Joe Burrow not being able to see the field and winning the heisman at LSU? Goodson played as a Frosh. You don’t like our offense which is fine. We get it. Like I said, go beat the dead horse on Petras on the other thread.

Ouch.

If I was KF (and I'm obviously not) I'd put any future pay raises toward assistant salaries. Gotta keep try to keep KC and KB as long as possible
You really should understand what your saying before making those kind of statements right? This has nothing to do with $$. Assistants have always been well paid at Iowa and KF already gives them a good chunk of his bonus money, and fights hard to see that their well paid in relation to other league assistants. In the last few years people have grilled KF because his assistants never moved on and became head coaches, or took better gigs like HF's guys did. Tim P has a relationship with Bohl and will probably the HC in waiting. Foster is getting a shot to move into the pro's because of his success at Iowa.

LeVar Woods is clearly capable of taking a different step. I could see him moving into the RB coach and bringing in someone less experienced as a special teams guy. I believe there is a good chance we see some shake up within the staff.

There are a few positions that work best when the coach is a black guy in my opinion. DL, RB, WR make a lot of sense. I say this because it is simply easier to relate to someone that looks like you. You could also throw in DB, but PP is the right guy there.

Obviously, the goal is to get the best guy, but there shouldn't be any shortage of qualified black coaches. I would think the players and staff would like to see a good balance similar to what we've had the last few years.

Last edited:
You really should understand what your saying before making those kind of statements right? This has nothing to do with $$. Assistants have always been well paid at Iowa and KF already gives them a good chunk of his bonus money, and fights hard to see that their well paid in relation to other league assistants. In the last few years people have grilled KF because his assistants never moved on and became head coaches, or took better gigs like HF's guys did. Tim P has a relationship with Bohl and will probably the HC in waiting. Foster is getting a shot to move into the pro's because of his success at Iowa.
Lol. I understood exactly what I was saying. And you apparently attributed a lot of things other people said to me, despite my simple, straightforward post.

I don't begrudge any assistant coach for leaving, and having good assistant coaches that move on to better positions is a sign of a good program.

And I didn't say they were leaving due to money, what I was saying is that ideally money *wouldn't* be a reason for any of them ever to leave (but rather, that they leave for good opportunities)

Not in disagreement here, but am interested in whether anyone knows the facts. He did a good job as a recruiter, but obviously, recruiting success is not of value to the pros. While his coaching performance was solid, Iowa's running game and RB success was not sufficient to draw attention to him vis a vis many other college RB coaches. There must be a personal connection there that was the basis for the hire. Does anyone know what it is?

• Haha
Reactions: David1979
I get it. You hate KF.

No , you don't get it. I don't hate KF, we just have different opinions about him.

You said his greatest strength is as a CEO. I think that's his greatest weakness.

The task of a CEO can be summarized as continually increasing the success
level of his organization by identifying areas of weakness and quickly taking
whatever action, through people or methods, that are necessary to correct them.

Allowing an offense to remain underperforming for most of 22 years is not being an effective CEO.
Allowing games to be lost with ridiculous clock management and risk/reward decisions for most of
the last 22 years is not being an effective or even competent CEO. Yes, some of the risk/reward
decisions have recently improved (after 20 years, we finally are not taking a knee before the half-
which is the most valuable possession of the game, and finally we aren't punting on 4th and 1 from their 35 yard line) But clock management has not improved--even in this past year. So the combination of risk and clock management has moved from F to D in 22 years. That's just great.

A comparison with the military is probably the most instructive. A drill sergeant's job is , through repetition and attention to detail; to teach, train, and generally prepare individuals to fight.

The job of the general is to deploy those prepared individuals in a manner that maximizes the effect of his skillfully developed strategic and tactical battle plan.

KF is an excellent drill sergeant and even has some administrative and PR skills that aren't essential for that position. But he is an inept General or CEO. You praised his vision. Has his vision been to continue having a badly underperforming offense indefinitely? We don't need or want that vision.

No , you don't get it. I don't hate KF, we just have different opinions about him.

You said his greatest strength is as a CEO. I think that's his greatest weakness.

Allowing an offense to remain underperforming for most of 22 years is not being an effective CEO.
Allowing games to be lost with ridiculous clock management and risk/reward decisions for most of
the last 22 years is not being an effective or even competent CEO. Yes, some of the risk/reward
decisions have recently improved (after 20 years, we finally are not taking a knee before the half-
which is the most valuable possession of the game, and finally we aren't punting on 4th and 1 from their 35 yard line) But clock management has not improved--even in this past year. So the combination of risk and clock management has moved from F to D in 22 years. That's just great.

A comparison with the military is probably the most instructive. A drill sergeant's job is , through repetition and attention to detail; to teach, train, and generally prepare individuals to fight.

The job of the general is to deploy those prepared individuals in a manner that maximizes the effect of his skillfully developed strategic and tactical battle plan.

KF is an excellent drill sergeant and even has some administrative and PR skills that aren't essential for that position. But he is an inept General or CEO. You praised his vision. Has his vision been to continue having a badly underperforming offense indefinitely? We don't need or want that vision.

Great part of the country is we can agree to disagree, at least right now. I think you're 100% wrong on all your points, but not going to be productive continuing it. You've made up your mind, as have I. I did address your points about KF not playing Stanzi when it was obvious he was better. I showed that was not the case, but go on about him being a terrible leader.

Curiosity only. What is the metric used to determine that the possession prior to the half is the most valuable of the game? So many analytics I can’t keep them straight.

Outside of the box candidate for OL coach: Nate Scheelhaase

Why? He's a Big 10 guy at heart ... still a young coach ... can connect with recruits.

He's likely a riser in the coaching ranks ... so coaching the OL would be a microcosm for organizing a larger group of guys (a nice lead-in to being an OC or head coach - from the organizational side of things). This is important, because regardless of how much longer Ferentz remains as the head coach ... that will likely not have a huge impact on Scheelhaase ... he could potentially already be gone by then (going off to greener pastures).

He's already a coach in the state of Iowa (just the "wrong" school) ... and he already has a family connection to the program (father was a Hawk).

Hayden's demise was his last 9-10 seasons. Ferentz has already been through the turnover of his original staff. Way past where Hayden was
Demise? In his last 9 seasons he only had 2 losing seasons including Hayden's last one when he had cancer. 90 was a Rose Bowl season, 91 was best non 85 team at 10-1-1 only losing to dez howard's michigan team. 92 was 5-7 because of an INSANE non conference, 93 and 94 were blah .500 seasons, then 95 (8-4), 96 (9-3) would be considered good to real good by Kirk's standards and 97 (7-5) which has been a standard Kirk team but they were ranked top 10 early so plenty of talent. Hayden's demise was cancer and age, not coaches
James Ferentz?
Steven or James wouldn't surprise me one bit, my friends and I have been wondering when they'd be brought into Ferentz and Sons, inc (aka Iowa football). Running game was generally nothing special under polasek, I'd like to see BF go back but that isn't happening so I'm pretty indifferent.

If you really believe this why would you even waste your time on paying attention to the team? I sure as hell would not.

Great part of the country is we can agree to disagree, at least right now. I think you're 100% wrong on all your points, but not going to be productive continuing it. You've made up your mind, as have I. I did address your points about KF not playing Stanzi when it was obvious he was better. I showed that was not the case, but go on about him being a terrible leader.

You are getting "lost in the weeds" with your Stanzi / Christensen discussion.

During the prior season, with his usual lack of foresight, KF again didn't see and take action to an impending problem, but rather let it develop into a situation the next season that cost us games.

Christensen took EVERY SINGLE SNAP that prior year. Simply unbelieveable. KF may have felt giving
Stanzi some time wouldn't have changed the outcome of any of those games. That may or may not have been correct. But that's not the right criteria. The important thing was to see enough of Stanzi in game conditions to see what he really had, where further development was most essential, and acclimate him to college football.

Had KF done that, Stanzii would have been the starter, with some experience the following year and there would have been no ISU or Pitt fiasco.

Amazingly, but not surprisingly, KF has put himself right back in the same situation. Not only does he make monumental mistakes, but he doesn't learn from them. Once again, he's heading into a season with a QB that even the most optimistic are hoping will be "adequate". ( adequate at QB is not enough for Iowa to win the division). He didn't bother to give a backup enough time for a good evaluation (can only be done under real game conditions) so he has no idea what his alternatives are. So we again can anticipate a fire drill trying to salvage wins against IND and ISU to prevent ruining the season before it hardly gets started.

Reactions: not_mantiteo

During the prior season, with his usual lack of foresight, KF again didn't see and take action to an impending problem, but rather let it develop into a situation the next season that cost us games.

Christensen took EVERY SINGLE SNAP that prior year. Simply unbelieveable. KF may have felt giving
Stanzi some time wouldn't have changed the outcome of any of those games. That may or may not have been correct. But that's not the right criteria. The important thing was to see enough of Stanzi in game conditions to see what he really had, where further development was most essential, and acclimate him to college football.

Had KF done that, Stanzii would have been the starter, with some experience the following year and there would have been no ISU or Pitt fiasco.

Amazingly, but not surprisingly, KF has put himself right back in the same situation. Not only does he make monumental mistakes, but he doesn't learn from them. Once again, he's heading into a season with a QB that even the most optimistic are hoping will be "adequate". ( adequate at QB is not enough for Iowa to win the division). He didn't bother to give a backup enough time for a good evaluation (can only be done under real game conditions) so he has no idea what his alternatives are. So we again can anticipate a fire drill trying to salvage wins against IND and ISU to prevent ruining the season before it hardly gets started.
You do not know and can not say with 100% certainty Stanzi would have started if he played a little the previous year.

Last edited:
You don't think there might be a high school coach in Texas that could bring a little something something?

Sure, I'm not saying a hs coach couldn't be successful. All things being equal I'd prefer a college guy. What's so hard to understand about that

You seem to be completely ignoring how human cognition and psychology works ... particularly as it pertains to the most cerebral position in football.

The personnel situation on the offense in 2007 was terrible ... essentially a lost year. The OL was often in turnstile-mode and our WR corps was almost entirely manned by freshmen (redshirted or true).

While revisionist fans like to paint Christensen as if he simply "sucked" ... I'd argue that the circumstances of the '07 season helped to derail his development and contributed significantly to his sucking.

From my vantage, as an educator, you do your best to put your guys in a position to be successful. In Star Trek geek lingo ... Christensen and the coaches were caught in a Kobayashi Maru situation (one that cannot be "won"). It seems like the working logic was that they didn't want to sacrifice the development of any of their other QB candidates. If you reflect upon it ... it's a perfectly sound and logical choice.

Quite to the contrary of your suggestion ... it's not at all "unbelievable."

If you wish to refute facts .... consider the 2012 season as further "evidence." The '12 season was similarly a cluster-situation offensively ... perhaps for somewhat different reasons. The biggest part of the issue was that Vandenberg was the only guy who actually was on the same page as Greg Davis. However, given that everyone else was playing "catch-up" as it relates to the lingo of Greg's O ... every other position was NOT on the same page as Vandenberg. Consequently, the O sputtered horribly!

Again ... in such a crappy situation ... rather than sacrifice the development of multiple QBs ... Ferentz opted to let poor Vandenberg fall upon his own sword. Given what an effective QB he was previously ... that goes to show you how much circumstances impact things. The failure itself isn't just on the QB ... it's on the situation itself that the QB is caught within.

Reactions: Frosty7130

You do know for the 2007 season Stanzi was the 3rd string QBand Arvell Nelson was the backup right? Also Christensen didn’t take every snap Stanzi was 0-4 that season and Arvell was 1-1. Stanzi has also been on record saying he was nowhere near ready to play and it wasn’t until spring football where I light went off for him.

Reactions: Frosty7130
Good for Coach ... I don't think Iowa needs to focus on a former Hawkeye player or coach ... Find the right guy ... Younger guy who is good with kids and has a good recruiting resume ... Bring in someone with experience ... Someone who has proven himself as a coach ... Polasek was a great hire by Iowa ... having been OC at NDSU ...

Sure, I'm not saying a hs coach couldn't be successful. All things being equal I'd prefer a college guy. What's so hard to understand about that

Well Paul Rhoads just signed on as an analyst with Ohio State. I think he would have been a hell of a OL coach, but I know people will say he sucked as a recruiter when in fact, I mean c'mon Ames????

I think Kirk should take over the OL. It is his first love and maybe gets him thinking transition too.

I am going to say it, young up coming black coach from maybe a HBCU for RB. That would be a good move. For O-line, someone with some serious experience whose philosophy is in line with what Iowa does.

Congrats to Polasek. I would assume this will have the most impact on 2022 OL recruiting. Iowa was in on some highly ranked prospects, specifically in Wisconsin and Minnesota where Polasek specifically recruits.

RomanHawk said:

KF is not the only coach to have a good player sitting on the bench. Didn't Tom Brady sit until his junior year at Michigan? Soph. year he threw 15 passes and completed 12. Jr/Sr years he threw 300+- and completed 61%.

OK, we're a few weeks out on the announcement of coaches leaving. I imagine interviews are nearly complete and we hear of a hire in the next 7-10 days.

Reactions: nwhawkincr
Have a case with a guy in Illinois. He lurks on other Big Ten boards. He said after reading our board for a couple of years that Iowa has "the most retarded fanbase in the country". He said judging from this board the reader would think Iowa had a terrible record, a terrible history, terrible coaching hires, a despised head coach and no sign of a winning season in the foreseeable future.

Iowa's last full season with only 7 wins was in 2014-six season past. The 2020 season would have extrapolated into a 9 or ten win season, although no one will ever know for sure. In the totally wild 2020 Iowa had a .750 winning season, only two plays away from 8-0. We return a tremendous amount of talent and most of our starters. We are a top 20 preseason for 2021. Iowa's coming off its third very good recruiting class in a row, the best class in years.

Its like ignoring the pony by the Christmas tree while searching for the pony shit. Thumped Bucky and that feline pedophile along the way. Hawkeye fans, we have every reason for optimism. You think back over the last five years and you see a lot of close losses. Well, as the sainted John Hayden Fry would say, the sun doesn't shine on the same dog's ass every day. I mean what are the chances of your All American center hitting your All Big Ten running back and causing a fumble deep in scoring territory? As the talent level continues to climb more of those bounces are going down Hawkeye Lane.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlickShagwell
Have a case with a guy in Illinois. He lurks on other Big Ten boards. He said after reading our board for a couple of years that Iowa has "the most retarded fanbase in the country". He said judging from this board the reader would think Iowa had a terrible record, a terrible history, terrible coaching hires, a despised head coach and no sign of a winning season in the foreseeable future.

Iowa's last full season with only 7 wins was in 2014-six season past. The 2020 season would have extrapolated into a 9 or ten win season, although no one will ever know for sure. In the totally wild 2020 Iowa had a .750 winning season, only two plays away from 8-0. We return a tremendous amount of talent and most of our starters. We are a top 20 preseason for 2021. Iowa's coming off its third very good recruiting class in a row, the best class in years. We crushed

Its like ignoring the pony by the Christmas tree while searching for the pony shit. Thumped Bucky and that feline pedophile along the way. Hawkeye fans, we have every reason for optimism. You think back over the last five years and you see a lot of close losses. Well, as the sainted John Hayden Fry would say, the sun doesn't shine on the same dog's ass every day. I mean what are the chances of your All American center hitting your All Big Ten running back and causing a fumble deep in scoring territory? As the talent level continues to climb more of those bounces are going down Hawkeye Lane.
I'd conjecture that some of the sentiment is driven by the same sort of thing you see that is going on in the SEC. Everybody there is chasing Alabama ... it's essentially a game of going for a championship or bust.

Some fans here ... their argument would be that the Hawks should "aim higher" ... as if the coaching staff and players aren't aiming for championship caliber football. However, the good and bad of competitive sports ... is that there will always be a winner and a loser. Furthermore, whether folks admit it or not ... there is A LOT that goes into winning games. Winning isn't easy .... there is no "easy" button. Programs that cycle through coaches like underwear ... they're the same ones looking for the "easy" button.

There is always going to be the "grass is greener" crowd ... hoping for those greener pastures. They're not entirely wrong ... but nor are they right. It's about striking a balance.

Iowa's last full season with only 7 wins was in 2014-six season past. The 2020 season would have extrapolated into a 9 or ten win season, although no one will ever know for sure. In the totally wild 2020 Iowa had a .750 winning season, only two plays away from 8-0. We return a tremendous amount of talent and most of our starters. We are a top 20 preseason for 2021. Iowa's coming off its third very good recruiting class in a row, the best class in years. We crushed

Nice post. The thing that strikes me about the 2021 team is the depth, understanding that some younger guys need to step up on the OL and DL. Have we ever had that much depth in WR room? Assuming guys develop, think how good the 2022 D could be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT