ADVERTISEMENT

Political activity in the workplace

theiacowtipper

HB Legend
Feb 17, 2004
Lee County, down here is southeast Iowa has a county sheriffs race that is nasty. Politicians taking sides and openly accusing others of physical intimidation and acts. It’s not really a political party thing. It is causing people to cross parties in their harassment

Can someone in county government be fired for supporting the “wrong” candidate? I have ex students who work there who are vocal about who they support. I would not be surprised at all if there would be retaliation. I don’t think private employees are protected but I didn’t know about public.

Sheriffs that appear in political ads for other candidates are showing poor judgment and alienating many members of the public they serve. It's not illegal but it's dumb . Both Dem and Rep sheriffs in Iowa are doing this. I just saw one that included the Lee County Sheriff supporting Bohanan.

Yes, they can be fired for their political support. But, the publicly stated reason is always something else. A Deputy often challenges for Sheriff, are defeated, and then ‘move on’ to another community.

In Johnson County the Board Executive worked on a challengers campaign, and was then fired out of the blue by the three incumbent Supervisors who were running for reelection.

I was taught to never talk about religion, politics or sex in the office and to never talk about religion or politics on the golf course
This is the smart way to act in the workplace. And, it used to be this way when I started. But, it’s not anymore.
I cringe when I hear the things some people say in a large audience. Both sides. But, people don’t seem to care as much anymore.

This is the smart way to act in the workplace. And, it used to be this way when I started. But, it’s not anymore.
I cringe when I hear the things some people say in a large audience. Both sides. But, people don’t seem to care as much anymore.

Do you bring up your anti-vaccine beliefs in the workplace?

• Haha
Reactions: Funky Bunch
As a rule, I would never talk about politics in the workplace, especially if you don't know your co-workers view.
This wouldn’t be in the workplace. This would be writing a letter to the editor and getting fired for it. I know private employers can do it but I didn’t know about public.

Should be the same as talking Iowa vs Iowa State. But people get so worked up on politics they can’t think straight. Bunch of Nancies. Religion is the same, but I don’t need to tell you how ridiculous religious people act when you mock their hilarious outlooks.

Do you bring up your anti-vaccine beliefs in the workplace?
I’m not anti-vaccine. I am anti-mandated brand new vaccines. Which don’t even prevent transmission.

I also now see public officials and departments make public statements and stances, which really have no impact or influence. Other than to make some feel good, and show support, while also alienating others.

I was taught to never talk about religion, politics or sex in the office and to never talk about religion or politics on the golf course
I was taught to always get 12 hours sleep. To never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city and to never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
I live and work in NW Iowa. We just had a meeting at work to leave all Harris/Walz apparel at home

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT