ADVERTISEMENT

Political yard signs

Has one mind ever been changed by them. I find having one odd, just don't see the point.
I live along a paved highway. I hate mowing around the damn yard signs, so I don't usually allow many.
Yard signs in front of your place is just another reason for some neighbors and passers-by to curse you if they don't agree.

By now most have made up their minds or don't GAF.

Reactions: srams21
The Trump ones have changed my mind about the character of some of my neighbors.

Lol. Yep.

Truth be told, though, where I live (Waukee/WDM) are predominantly Trump signs, and where I work (north Des Moines) there are Biden signs only and a bunch of BLM signs. Lol. I doubt too many in this area are brave enough to put Trump signs up.

I would still choose to live where I do every day of the week.

Reactions: Moral
Has one mind ever been changed by them. I find having one odd, just don't see the point.

I would say that they probably have almost no effect on the presidential election and probably not much effect on elections for congress or the senate.

I would argue they probably might have an effect when it comes to local elections.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Lol. Yep.

Truth be told, though, where I live (Waukee/WDM) are predominantly Trump signs, and where I work (north Des Moines) there are Biden signs only and a bunch of BLM signs. Lol. I doubt too many in this area are brave enough to put Trump signs up.

I am glad I live in an area where I haven't really seen any signs for either, political signs are dumb af, I live in a area with a bunch of condo's, townhomes, apartments and homes just west of JC mall.

Homecoming one year we rounded a whole bunch of them up. Stuck them all in the high school yard. Glorious sight that morning 😍

• Haha
Reactions: UKGrad93
I am glad I live in an area where I haven't really seen any signs for either, political signs are dumb af, I live in a area with a bunch of condo's, townhomes, apartments and homes just west of JC mall.

Yikes. That's close to where I live. You're right, there aren't as many yard signs. However, taking Ashworth west off Jordan Creek there is one idiot with a whole bunch of Trump/Pence signs in his yard. I even saw one in the windshield of an RV.

You're right. Yard signs are dumb AF. No one cares what your political views are, for one, and secondly it just puts a bullseye on your house and property for some young punks to eff with.

I do signs for who I'm voting for in the caucus, and things like state legislature and school board. Those seem fairly benign even if I'm outing myself as a Democrat, but I wont do one for higher offices, because they're pointless except for drawing hostility. That's what the White Sox flag is for.

Reactions: mattymoknows
Yikes. That's close to where I live. You're right, there aren't as many yard signs. However, taking Ashworth west off Jordan Creek there is one idiot with a whole bunch of Trump/Pence signs in his yard. I even saw one in the windshield of an RV.

You're right. Yard signs are dumb AF. No one cares what your political views are, for one, and secondly it just puts a bullseye on your house and property for some young punks to eff with.

Of geez, we neighbors???? Well, actually I know you aren't my neighbor because the two condos right next to us are filled with a few hot chicks living in them!

Of geez, we neighbors???? Well, actually I know you aren't my neighbor because the two condos right next to us are filled with a few hot chicks living in them!

tenor.gif

Archaic bumper stickers for your yard. Seeing them planted in general areas by campaign staff is even worse.

The only time they serve a purpose is for local elections where the candidates are not known.

Reactions: mattymoknows
Yards signs are for trashy people. Election time is when I am glad I live in an HOA that bans signage. Some schmucks tried putting up BLM signs this summer and those too got shot down pretty quick-- no exceptions. Trash is trash. If you want to put up "look at me signs" then buy a trailer and do it there.

I think they’re probably useful for local elections and getting someone’s name out there who is relatively unknown.
This is true - every time there are local elections I see the signs with the names a few weeks before I see stories in local news.

Lol. Yep.

If I ever want to go to a strip mall, I will go to Waukee. That town is one big strip mall where every building looks the same. Not a dis, just an observation after eating there on Tuesday.

It's a solidarity thing similar to sports IMHO. For the statewide and national candidates, the yard signs and bumper stickers are more like hanging your favorite college team's flag or having a team decal on the back of your car.

I don't put out a Nole flag or have a FSU license plate to convince Gators or UM fans to become Nole fans.

I would say I see a ton less signs for President this year. It was pretty interesting to see a lack of signs in some of the more rural parts of AL, GA, and FL I have driven where there were a ton of Trump signs in 2016. But same could be said of Biden here in Tallahassee which is about 60% Democrat. There were a ton of Hillary signs here in 2016.

I would say that they probably have almost no effect on the presidential election and probably not much effect on elections for congress or the senate.

I would argue they probably might have an effect when it comes to local elections.
Might have more effect on local races.

I suspect I'm not the only person who tends to be less informed on local races. So if I see an old Bernie or Lizzie sign on a yard with new signs for local races, I might be inclined to think those local choices are worth considering.

After all, these are clearly smart people, right? ;)

If I ever want to go to a strip mall, I will go to Waukee. That town is one big strip mall where every building looks the same. Not a dis, just an observation after eating there on Tuesday.
There's an older part of Waukee that is almost still like a small town. But if you were just up and down Hickman or in one of the newer neighborhoods, yeah they're currently short a little seasoning. It's all less than 15-20 years old.

Might have more effect on local races.

I suspect I'm not the only person who tends to be less informed on local races. So if I see an old Bernie or Lizzie sign on a yard with new signs for local races, I might be inclined to think those local choices are worth considering.

After all, these are clearly smart people, right? ;)

I think if you get to the polls and you see some names on a ballot that you know nothing about. Especially if it's a non-partisan election who you going to vote for? Quite frankly you probably pick the name who's signs you've seen a lot of.

It's a solidarity thing similar to sports IMHO. For the statewide and national candidates, the yard signs and bumper stickers are more like hanging your favorite college team's flag or having a team decal on the back of your car.

I don't put out a Nole flag or have a FSU license plate to convince Gators or UM fans to become Nole fans.

I would say I see a ton less signs for President this year. It was pretty interesting to see a lack of signs in some of the more rural parts of AL, GA, and FL I have driven where there were a ton of Trump signs in 2016. But same could be said of Biden here in Tallahassee which is about 60% Democrat. There were a ton of Hillary signs here in 2016.
I see far more Trump signs here in Jacksonville, and on the stretch of I-10 between Jax and Tally. I don't put out yard signs for anyone -state, local, or national.
Tally and Leon County is majority minority and along with Gadsden County next door are the only two blue spots in NoFla.

Signs probably help the name recognition for local races like a city council seat or school board. For national races, it has no impact and I don't see why anyone would put that in their yard.

I see far more Trump signs here in Jacksonville, and on the stretch of I-10 between Jax and Tally. I don't put out yard signs for anyone -state, local, or national.
Tally and Leon County is majority minority and along with Gadsden County next door are the only two blue spots in NoFla.
I know all that. I meant compared to 2016 I am seeing less signs for each candidate in their respective areas.

Reactions: goldmom
Yard signs are a terrible barometer of a candidate's viability, but they are good for making others feel that it is acceptable to support a certain candidate.

We have a few posters on this forum that make political decisions based on how many yard signs they see. And how many flags they see on boats.

Then again... those people usually wear ankle bracelets and don't get around much.

You know... Trump supporters.

I will put dem signs on my perfectly manicured 5 acres of lawn. I want everyone on this planet to know that I am not a stupid and uneducated republican.

Reactions: Democratic Nole

I'm sure somebody was driving by, saw a bunch of Trump MAGA signs and thought "Hmm... this totally convinces me to change my beliefs!".

Seriously though, I think it's mostly just the "ra ra go team!" type of mindset for people to fill their yard with political signs.

ADVERTISEMENT