ADVERTISEMENT

Politics

MatBrat

Rookie
Oct 24, 2019
Just wondering how much politics is playing into our starting lineup. I know I am going to get bashed here but I really have to question the 184 spot.

Just wondering how much politics is playing into our starting lineup. I know I am going to get bashed here but I really have to question the 184 spot.

Thanks for the post, Mr. Wilcke. Much appreciated.

And yes, I'm sure it is very political that the nephew of the coach and son of the assistant coach was set aside in favor of a true freshman.

tumblr_inline_p8qe14y9sg1r034rw_250.gifv

Reactions: HawkMD and el dub

When I catch myself having similar thoughts, I try to remember that (1) I am not an Olympic gold medalist; (2) I have not won any NCAA titles; and (2) I do not coach one of the most historic programs in sports history, and then I go on with my day.

Well thanks. Just trying to get a discussion going here. I simply cannot believe that Assad will score more points at nationals than Wilke will. Guess I should have known better.

Well thanks. Just trying to get a discussion going here. I simply cannot believe that Assad will score more points at nationals than Wilke will. Guess I should have known better.

What you should have known, is that if you just make a weird claim of "politics" with no explanation whatsoever, it will not be well-received.

Nobody has any idea what you are talking about, so there isn't going to be any discussion -- just folks making fun of your random and empty post.

Okay, MatBrat, I'll be the lone non-snarky voice.

Probably little to no politics involved in the decision at 184...or any other weight. If politics were involved, they would favor either of the other two wrestlers. Wilcke is a 5th-year senior, 3-year starter from Iowa who is well-liked personally. Nelson is a blood relative.

There's no political pressure from the administration, as far as I'm aware.

No one can speak for Brands, as most of us would've gone with Wilcke, who is a proven commodity at NCAAs and good for 2-4 points, which is within a point or two of what most expect Assad to score. Presumably Brands feels Assad has the best chance to score the most points at NCAAs, and this is a year where even a point or two can impact the team race, and he's not going to take any chances.

Apparently I need to post here that I am in no way related to Wilke.

Great coaches make tough decisions and I'm sure 184 was all that for TB. It's not high school where some kid gets to start at QB over some other kid because his dad is friends or neighbors of the coach. This is D1. Not high school

Reactions: el dub and AFHawk86
TarpHawk thank you for your post. I was simply trying to get a discussion going with my post. It’s unfortunate that so many others feel the need to bash it. I apologize.

Reactions: TarpHawk
MatBrat the question came out of left field , I think poster were having a little fun at your expense.

Reactions: TarpHawk

You thought that by accusing Iowa coaches of playing politics and not giving any depth to the claim would be a good way to start a conversation that’s already been had on the board several times?

Re-read the point above: this is the opposite of playing politics. Actual results preceded the decision. The highest placer is getting the starts. He beat two guys who have beaten Brands and stuck a guy Wilcke struggled with. Politics would be NOT starting him.

TarpHawk thank you for your post. I was simply trying to get a discussion going with my post. It’s unfortunate that so many others feel the need to bash it. I apologize.

Read Art and Tarp; if you still want to discuss then I will be your Huckleberry.

What rationale do you have for feeling the move is politics? I can then share my opinion as to why I feel it is not. Please know in advance that if Gobblin comes along he will just throw sh!t against the wall, Mitch will tell us unbiasedly how it impacts ISU, Spooner will tell us all what donkeys we are and Kwoodhawk will emoji the crap out of it.

So, why do YOU feel it is political??

Sorry I just don’t see Assad doing any better than Wilke would. Personally I would think a veteran will do much better when it matters at nationals.

You thought that by accusing Iowa coaches of playing politics and not giving any depth to the claim would be a good way to start a conversation that’s already been had on the board several times?

Re-read the point above: this is the opposite of playing politics. Actual results preceded the decision. The highest placer is getting the starts. He beat two guys who have beaten Brands and stuck a guy Wilcke struggled with. Politics would be NOT starting him.
By actually reading his original post, I don't believe he claimed anyone in particular was guilty of politics. I read it as a simple question asking IF it could be. Quite frankly "Politics" can mean many things. I think many are far too quick to jump to conclusions.

Reactions: MatBrat
Sorry I just don’t see Assad doing any better than Wilke would. Personally I would think a veteran will do much better when it matters at nationals.

You may very well be correct but he did finish higher at Midlands and we are not privy to any action that has been occurring in the room or any possible injuries that might have factored into the decision. I feel Abe has way more upside but I was not convinced it would come to fruition this season to the point that pulling the shirt was the way to go, Tom obviously felt it would. So not politics, just a tough call to make.

Reactions: el dub and MatBrat
By actually reading his original post, I don't believe he claimed anyone in particular was guilty of politics. I read it as a simple question asking IF it could be. Quite frankly "Politics" can mean many things. I think many are far too quick to jump to conclusions.

I did carefully read it, and it certainly suggests politics is in play. He didn’t ask “if” politics were involved, he asked “how much” politics were involved.

But without offering any kind of political angle, it’s kind of a reckless and silly question. Had he said, for instance, “I understand Assad’s uncle made a big contribution to the HWC and it makes me wonder if that influenced the decision” we would have the starting point of a conversation.

This is closer to the poster who “hoped” Austin didn’t make a racial comment last weekend; random and pointless.

But if Assad was on the other side of the bracket at Midlands the best he would have finished is third as well. He got lucky with a headlock - we all know that will never happen again. This is why I question what is happening at 184.

Read Art and Tarp; if you still want to discuss then I will be your Huckleberry.

What rationale do you have for feeling the move is politics? I can then share my opinion as to why I feel it is not. Please know in advance that if Gobblin comes along he will just throw sh!t against the wall, Mitch will tell us unbiasedly how it impacts ISU, Spooner will tell us all what donkeys we are and Kwoodhawk will emoji the crap out of it.

So, why do YOU feel it is political??

What am I? Chopped liver? You forgot to mention me chiming in and blaming Turk for this situation.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT