ADVERTISEMENT

Politics

But if Assad was on the other side of the bracket at Midlands the best he would have finished is third as well. He got lucky with a headlock - we all know that will never happen again. This is why I question what is happening at 184.

Listen, I’ve been a vocal critic of the decision, and a frequent critic of Brand’s, but what would the political angle be? You’ve been asked this multiple times.

Reactions: BootsTiggley
But if Assad was on the other side of the bracket at Midlands the best he would have finished is third as well. He got lucky with a headlock - we all know that will never happen again. This is why I question what is happening at 184.

You could say Cash got lucky to beat Brands in OT, coach has to go off results not could haves. I'm pretty sure Abe was seeded lowest of the 3.

I did carefully read it, and it certainly suggests politics is in play. He didn’t ask “if” politics were involved, he asked “how much” politics were involved.

But without offering any kind of political angle, it’s kind of a reckless and silly question. Had he said, for instance, “I understand Assad’s uncle made a big contribution to the HWC and it makes me wonder if that influenced the decision” we would have the starting point of a conversation.

This is closer to the poster who “hoped” Austin didn’t make a racial comment last weekend; random and pointless.
Actually, your comment of "I understand Assad's uncle made a big contribution to the HWC and it makes me wonder if that influenced the decision" is closer to the "hoped Austin didn't make a racial comment". And yes I understand your comment was hypothetical so don't get all pissy about it. I just choose to be more open minded when I read comments rather than taking a side immediately.

Reactions: Gobblin and MatBrat
Listen, I’ve been a vocal critic of the decision, and a frequent critic of Brand’s, but what would the political angle be? You’ve been asked this multiple times.
Have you ever heard of the term "Interoffice Politics"? Politics can be used at any time something other than objective data is used. Again, it was simply a question.

Nobody except maybe the OP thinks politics were involved in the 184 decision. OP, do you think politics were involved? If so, what and why?

Reactions: artradley
Nobody except maybe the OP thinks politics were involved in the 184 decision. OP, do you think politics were involved? If so, what and why?
OK I'll bite. I don't think politics were involved but I do think it is an unresolved decision. I think the coaches want the best guy to be available when the time comes and Assad wants the opportunity to be the guy.

Yes, I understand the various definitions of the word “politics.” My question stands; what would the angle be?
I don't know and I think that was the inspiration of the post - but since I'm not the OP that would be an assumption:)

I’ll try not to be sarcastic but it is tough this time of year because I am normally in mid-season form. However, due to periodization training, I am trying to peak in March.

Oh yea...politics. I think this is actually the counter-political move, don’t you think OP? We have a fifth year senior from Iowa who is borderline AA but hasn’t made it yet. Also have RS Frosh who comes from Iowa wrestling royalty. If this were a small town high school, the new kid would be back in the laundry room folding jocks.

When you see a thread titled politics, don't read the preview, and open thread anyway:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This is where you just drove off the side of a cliff, you had a few people engaged and making an attempt at playing to your reasoning then you throw this out there and down goes Frazier. Good grief Charlie Brown:confused:

Who did Cash lose to and who did Assad lose to? There is logic there, quit trying to just inflame the situation. You're quickly losing any credibility...Some friendly advice - you're barking up the wrong tree.

Back in September as practice notes Assad was hanging with Cash..which at the time was dismissed. Then wrestle offs happened and Assad performed great. He went to some tourneys and did well also.
He is a true freshman and will take his lumps but he has proven he is improving and willing to go for it.. reference of the headlock( by the way Young did same thing out of no where and that worked out great) .
Assad keeps better position, is willing to attack with a larger arsenal and has simply more upside. He may not AA but in the grand scheme of things his development this year will be better for next years run when we would have had an unproven freshmen in the lineup. (The exact circumstance as this year).
Although I feel for both Brands(undersized) and Wicke(senior multi NCAA appearances) their lack of offense made the move of Assad logical.
I know guys dont like it but these new coaching moves and strategies have made us legit title contenders for the first time in a decade....time will tell if it's the right move.

I have yet to hear Assad beat Wilke in practice. Wilke was injured at the very beginning of the season hence Brands stepping up. Is Wilke’s injury more severe than we know? If that is the case then I’m all for Assad but I’m still not convinced that is the case.

I have yet to hear Assad beat Wilke in practice. Wilke was injured at the very beginning of the season hence Brands stepping up. Is Wilke’s injury more severe than we know? If that is the case then I’m all for Assad but I’m still not convinced that is the case.

it took you 4 or 5 posts to finally write something that sounds sane. Maybe you should have started here in one of the other 184 threads on this board.

in the op he said he knew he was going to get bashed and when he did he whined about it, but i have a political angle.Assad as the more elite recruit of the 3 wanted the spot and Brands scared of the portal capitulated or building image for future recruits that want to wrestle their first year or tnt got a gut feeling.

OK I'll bite. I don't think politics were involved but I do think it is an unresolved decision. I think the coaches want the best guy to be available when the time comes and Assad wants the opportunity to be the guy.

That ship has sailed.

Reactions: Gobblin
In reference to beating someone in a wrestle off...we will never know since only preason matches were open to public. In season matches would be private without any knowing except coaches.

Reactions: Gobblin
The custodian told me he wanted his RS pulled, and at a discussion with T'n'T the word "portal" was brought up...then POW his shirt was pulled. Right there is your politics :eek:

Actually, your comment of "I understand Assad's uncle made a big contribution to the HWC and it makes me wonder if that influenced the decision" is closer to the "hoped Austin didn't make a racial comment". And yes I understand your comment was hypothetical so don't get all pissy about it..
Agreed. Thats as bad as introducing the idea that Assad threatened to transfer after the season if he didnt get the spot he felt he deserved.....

:rolleyes:

Sorry I just don’t see Assad doing any better than Wilke would. Personally I would think a veteran will do much better when it matters at nationals.

I personally would have stuck with Cash (gut feeling) but I also will defer to the coaches that are in the room daily.

The veteran has had opportunities at Nationals to show his stuff when it matters and...?? Do you feel Abe will do worse than score a few points? As others have pointed out one will have a much greater developmental impact on the next year.

None of this tells me anything about why you feel that politics were involved.

Lastly, I would formally like to apologize to El Dub for my unintended yet obviously egregious slight AND I agree with him that yes , in fact, this is somehow all Turk's fault.

Could be just a rumor, but I heard Gabe said he had more top guys from Illinois that would be hawks if he they pulled his shirt. Slow rolled them, but they got the point.

Check vehicles for bumper stickers. If Cash has a "Bernie," Nelson has a "Warren," and Abe has an "I Heart Wrestling" then politics could be in play.

So you not only think Brands burned a RS without being committed to starting him at BIGS (a boneheaded move of spectacular dimension) you envision Assad saying, “coach, could you burn my shirt then let me start the next few duals to show you I deserve to be our guy?” and Tom said, “Sure.”

As someone once said, it’s good to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out.

Abe is our 184 pounder from here out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT