ADVERTISEMENT

Politics

Okay, MatBrat, I'll be the lone non-snarky voice.

Probably little to no politics involved in the decision at 184...or any other weight. If politics were involved, they would favor either of the other two wrestlers. Wilcke is a 5th-year senior, 3-year starter from Iowa who is well-liked personally. Nelson is a blood relative.

There's no political pressure from the administration, as far as I'm aware.

No one can speak for Brands, as most of us would've gone with Wilcke, who is a proven commodity at NCAAs and good for 2-4 points, which is within a point or two of what most expect Assad to score. Presumably Brands feels Assad has the best chance to score the most points at NCAAs, and this is a year where even a point or two can impact the team race, and he's not going to take any chances.
And - you never know - someone could be hurt or has a high likelihood of getting re-injured so all three wrestlers need to be ready with experience. Or, we may have a plan for the best 184 in the world to be eligible in exactly 4 years so we get all 4 years out of him because he has the highest upside and needs experience...or, or, or, or....Assad says I'm leaving if Im the best guy and can't start....or, or, or

Okay, MatBrat, I'll be the lone non-snarky voice.

Probably little to no politics involved in the decision at 184...or any other weight. If politics were involved, they would favor either of the other two wrestlers. Wilcke is a 5th-year senior, 3-year starter from Iowa who is well-liked personally. Nelson is a blood relative.

There's no political pressure from the administration, as far as I'm aware.

No one can speak for Brands, as most of us would've gone with Wilcke, who is a proven commodity at NCAAs and good for 2-4 points, which is within a point or two of what most expect Assad to score. Presumably Brands feels Assad has the best chance to score the most points at NCAAs, and this is a year where even a point or two can impact the team race, and he's not going to take any chances.

That question deserved zero legitimate responses. Don't feed the trolls next time.

By actually reading his original post, I don't believe he claimed anyone in particular was guilty of politics. I read it as a simple question asking IF it could be. Quite frankly "Politics" can mean many things. I think many are far too quick to jump to conclusions.

Another troll feeder.

By actually reading his original post, I don't believe he claimed anyone in particular was guilty of politics. I read it as a simple question asking IF it could be. Quite frankly "Politics" can mean many things. I think many are far too quick to jump to conclusions.

Oh so he’s “just wondering” how much politics played a role. Got it. Lol And yet he’s yet to explain what that means. I don’t think he even knows what that means.

But if Assad was on the other side of the bracket at Midlands the best he would have finished is third as well. He got lucky with a headlock - we all know that will never happen again. This is why I question what is happening at 184.

What made it lucky? Braunagel is a beast in Greco. That’s talent.

Actually Cash has done pretty damn well considering he was basically a nobody coming in. And this is what bothers me... the field at 184 has opened up since Dean and Rasheed are out of the picture. Cash has a great opportunity this year to AA but Brands is taking it away from him.

Actually Cash has done pretty damn well considering he was basically a nobody coming in. And this is what bothers me... the field at 184 has opened up since Dean and Rasheed are out of the picture. Cash has a great opportunity this year to AA but Brands is taking it away from him.
tenor.gif

I'm no expert on trolling but this one here screams that you need to be a bit more subtle..

You blew it when you went straight for Brand's throat. Trust that the reader will know what you're getting at without giving them clear evidence that you're a prick. In the example above, next time just try saying you feel bad for a senior that has worked his tail off for five years to become an all american, only to be replaced by someone that isnt clearly a better option yet.

See, I know you are a troll, you know you're a troll....the reader can claim you are a troll but what would your words really say here? Kinda looks like you have a heart and truly feel for the guy now doesn't it? And in my example, you leave an opening for other trolls out there to do your dirty work for you. Like calling out Brands for only caring about winning and not helping one of HIS guys reach a lifelong dream.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatBrat
I have yet to hear Assad beat Wilke in practice. Wilke was injured at the very beginning of the season hence Brands stepping up. Is Wilke’s injury more severe than we know? If that is the case then I’m all for Assad but I’m still not convinced that is the case.

Assad is the man at 184. Deal with it. Lol

Reactions: BootsTiggley

It’s bothered me too. I’m surprised Tommy allowed such a glaring hole at 184 these past few years. Wilke has had his opportunity. It appears he has hit his ceiling.

Assad will do better next season due to the experience he’s currently getting.

This ain’t about taking anything from Cash. It’s about filling a hole that has been ignored for too many years as it is.

It’s a new day, sport.

OK I'll bite. I don't think politics were involved but I do think it is an unresolved decision. I think the coaches want the best guy to be available when the time comes and Assad wants the opportunity to be the guy.
I'll just say I'm damn glad you wrote this instead of me.

Reactions: el dub

Like I’ve said, if we could gather ourselves and realize the athletes number one job is to get a good education. Tom Brands number one job is to win. It’s really as simple as that. As shocking as it may be, the fact that Assad was inserted into the lineup is good thing for the program in many ways. Cash Wilcke is still an extremely valuable member of the team and will be ready if his number is called again.

Wilcke was injured at the beginning of the season, and that injury must be a lot more serious that any of us realized.

Reactions: MatBrat
You really think they pull Assad’s redshirt for him not to be the starter as long as he’s healthy?
All I'm saying is I don't think it was a "they" referring to the coaches. I believe Assad wants the chance and when Brands fell behind, it became a two man contest. Pulling a shirt does not mean it was all a one way decision. Maybe Assad doesn't want to spend 5 years in school. Maybe he wants a shot at being part of a National Championship team. Best man wins.

Wilcke was injured at the beginning of the season, and that injury must be a lot more serious that any of us realized.

I wouldn’t say “injured” but he did deal with a procedure that needed to be dealt with that kept him off the mat awhile. I’d say by Midlands he was on full cylinders.

I wouldn’t say “injured” but he did deal with a procedure that needed to be dealt with that kept him off the mat awhile. I’d say by Midlands he was on full cylinders.

Maybe there was a complication, or a reinjury. If Cash is 100%, this decision doesn't make sense at all to me. TnT obviously have way more information than me, and this decision makes sense to them, so Cash being injured is all I can think of.

Maybe there was a complication, or a reinjury. If Cash is 100%, this decision doesn't make sense at all to me. TnT obviously have way more information than me, and this decision makes sense to them, so Cash being injured is all I can think of.

Apparently sometimes you have to shake, rattle, and roll...

Reactions: YoungGun07

Huh? CASH NEVER GOT THE JOB DONE IN FOUR YEARS. That is problematic. Our team will be better next year with Assad getting experience. Cash should thank his lucky stars that the coaches didn’t recruit over him for all of these years.

Last edited:

The coaches, who have watched these wrestlers compete for years through high school and in the practice room, think Assad has the potential to score more points than Wilcke.

I don't know why so many struggle to make sense of this.

IMO, it is pretty clear in the statements I've seen in the media from Coach Brands, he or they simply lost patience with the Ca$h Wilcke experiment. I don't think it's anymore complicated than that. They had an option, and they exercised it.

I don't think there is much gray area when the commentary referring to 184 and Assad's approach was "not everything has to be a struggle". Now I'm no Stephen Hawking, but I don't think it could be any clearer. People seem to be looking for excuses, well, there it is in plain sight.

I agree, Cash has done a great job as compared to his ranking and I honestly feel he has the ability to have done way better even, it came out in a glimpse here or there but never fully clicked. I was in the go with Cash camp but people who know a lot more than me decided differently so I'm supporting who is out there.

Rasheed did not even AA last year so not sure why he gets listed as a block that was removed, Brooks is a bigger block. Based on how he has looked this year he was not likely to beat any of the Flo top 7 and that does not include Brooks, Sebastian who he has lost to 2X or 4-5 other guys ranked 10-20 that he is a toss up with.

I'll defer to the guys who get paid to make these decisions (see "Tom and Terry Brands").

I'm going to go out on a limb and say ... maybe ... Assad is wrestling well and possibly the coaches think he might help them win a title ...

Just spit-balling here ...

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan

f41f519a-b52d-46bd-a74a-01222f034c5e_text_hi.gif

ADVERTISEMENT