ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Are You More Republican or Democrat on These 5 Issues?

For each issue pair, pick the party that seems best aligned with your views

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Somebody listed these issues in an article. Might not have been the five I would have started with but seemed good enough until I have more coffee and can think for myself.

Sorry 3rd party folks. If you want to get those options, you'll have to start another poll.

If people like this poll, but want different issues, let me know. Or start the poll. I'll probably do at least 1 more. So feel free to suggest issues.

Obviously how you vote will depend on your own perception of where the parties stand on each issue.

I, for example, think of the Rs as being more pro war because it's usually the Rs that like them and Ds that oppose them. But some look at how many wars started under Ds and decide the Ds are more warlike. Party stances on some other issues are much easier to distinguish. Climate change is an obvious one.

OP, I love you man, but war? I don’t see any clear or distinct demarcation between the parties for years and years. Corruption is surely in the eye of the beholder. The other three issues though, I think most would agree on the basic characteristics of each party platform and track record.

Obviously how you vote will depend on your own perception of where the parties stand on each issue.

I, for example, think of the Rs as being more pro war because it's usually the Rs that like them and Ds that oppose them. But some look at how many wars started under Ds and decide the Ds are more warlike. Party stances on some other issues are much easier to distinguish. Climate change is an obvious one.

Here’s how I see each in the modern day:

WAR
GOP- All for it. Say they’re all for it.
Bush says Shock and Awe is coming. Shock and Awe shows up. Bush wanted to capture terrorists and torture them for information.

DEMS- All for it. Say they’re against it. Obama draws a red line for chemical weapons. Does nothing about them. Obama wanted to drone terrorists and kill their innocent neighbors. Gets Nobel Peace Prize.
Advantage...GOP

CLIMATE CHANGE
GOP- Pretend there’s nothing to see here. Ignore science. Admit they don’t give a shit.

Dems- Care deeply. See the science. Want to help fix it. Have no effing clue how to do so. So fall back on taxes, over-regulation and refusal to admit you need China and India and the rest of the world on board to make any type of impact.

Advantage...Dems

POVERTY
GOP- Doesn’t Care. Doesn’t pretend to care. Would prefer the private sector deal with it.
DEMS- Say they care but would hate to see it go away and lose their control over the poor masses come Election time. Oh...and TAXES.

Advantage...Both equally terrible

CORRUPTION
GOP- More corrupt on a national level. (See Trump and Bush indictments)

Dems- More corrupt on a local level. (See Detroit and Illinois)

Advantage....Dems slightly because I don’t have to live in those corrupted Dem areas

INEQUALITY
GOP- Market solutions. Bootstraps. Trickle Down.

Dems- Title 9. Affirmative action. Pandering. Lying about it. Soft bigotry of low expectations.

Advantage...equally egregious

Reactions: nelly02

WAR
Bush says Shock and Awe is coming. Shock and Awe shows up. Bush wanted to capture terrorists and torture them for information.

DEMS- All for it. Say they’re against it. Obama draws a red line for chemical weapons. Does nothing about them. Obama wanted to drone terrorists and kill their innocent neighbors. Gets Nobel Peace Prize.
Advantage...GOP

CLIMATE CHANGE
GOP- Pretend there’s nothing to see here. Ignore science. Admit they don’t give a shit.

Dems- Care deeply. See the science. Want to help fix it. Have no effing clue how to do so. So fall back on taxes, over-regulation and refusal to admit you need China and India and the rest of the world on board to make any type of impact.

Advantage...Dems

POVERTY
GOP- Doesn’t Care. Doesn’t pretend to care. Would prefer the private sector deal with it.
DEMS- Say they care but would hate to see it go away and lose their control over the poor masses come Election time. Oh...and TAXES.

CORRUPTION

Advantage....Dems slightly because I don’t have to live in those corrupted Dem areas

INEQUALITY

Dems- Title 9. Affirmative action. Pandering. Lying about it. Soft bigotry of low expectations.

Good job of showing that you can find fault with both parties. But try it the other way around. Try showing something good about each party on each issue. I think you'll find it much easier to find Ds against the war and wanting to tackle corruption, climate change, poverty and inequality than Rs. Which is why I give Ds the edge on every issue listed. Not because they are great, but at least some Ds are better.

Good job of showing that you can find fault with both parties. But try it the other way around. Try showing something good about each party on each issue. I think you'll find it much easier to find Ds against the war and wanting to tackle corruption, climate change, poverty and inequality than Rs. Which is why I give Ds the edge on every issue listed. Not because they are great, but at least some Ds are better.

I get that I really do. I have no doubt, philosophically, the Dems win all all fronts. But where you see them being better actionably, I see them giving more lip service, which, to me is a big negative. I also have to throw in the costs of their “solutions”.

The climate IS undergoing a change as it has nonstop over billions of years. I don't get why people deny it, but also I don't get why people believe they can fix it by driving a Prius and other useless symbolic actions.

WAR

Advantage...GOP

CLIMATE CHANGE

Advantage...Dems

POVERTY

CORRUPTION

INEQUALITY

DEMS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT