ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Best LONG Movies

Which of these long movies are best? Pick up to 4.

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
According to ScreenRant these are the 10 best movies over 3 hours in length. But which ones are the cream of the crop?

Yeah, picking 4 probably means leaving out something that's pretty darn good.

That's a pretty solid list IMO, and I've seen all of them except Avengers End Game and Lawrence of Arabia. If it came down to choosing just one I'd probably have to flip a coin between Dances With Wolves and Schindler's List, I love them both. Schindler's List was the better movie though and I remember it having a profound effect on me for some period of time after seeing it. Such a powerful film.

MV5BMWMwMGQzZTItY2JlNC00OWZiLWIyMDctNDk2ZDQ2YjRjMWQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

I was thinking it didn't make the 3-hour cut. But you're right, it does.

Since it's the best movie ever made, it definitely belongs on the list.

But, but, which other great movie would I drop?
Just about anything that reallies heavily on CGI shouldn't be up there.

I actually do not like many of those options and selected three from the list instead of four: Gone With the Wind*, Ben Hur*, and Schindler's List*.

So, I will create my own list:

Here it is; the three listed above and thirteen films that are certainly better than the rest of the field for a total of sixteen. Each one is listed as being longer than 180 minutes, although there are some abbreviated versions out there.

-Gone With the Wind*
-Ben Hur*
-Schindler's List*
-Once Upon a Time in the West
-Hamlet
-Reds
-Exodus
-Barry Lyndon
-Fiddler on the Roof
-Dr. Zhivago
-Ryan's Daughter
-Nicholas and Alexandra
-Tess

Here are a few honorable mentions; ambitious projects that fell a little short but are still worthy of the 16-18 hours required to watch all five:

-Cleopatra
-Giant
-The Iceman Cometh
-War and Peace

Last edited:
Vote from list = Lawrence of Arabia
Favorite from List = probably Ben Hur

Solid OP list - but I can think of a few of my favorites not on the list.

Exodus
The Ten Commandments
The Good The Bad The Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Greatest Story Ever Told

There's more, just can't think of them off the top of my head (heading out the door in a couple minutes).

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Dances with Wolves and Lord of the Rings are the only ones I've watched all the way through.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT