ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Determining the Official Method for Rank 'Em Threads

50 votes in we're sitting at 26-24 in favor of Method 1.

Quite possibly the closest debate in HROT history.
This post was edited on 12/10 2:45 PM by Hawk Meets World

When does the pole close? I'm about to be away from the Interwebs for the weekend. Can the results be pinned at the top?

Originally posted by WVUCOOPER:
When does the pole close? I'm about to be away from the Interwebs for the weekend. Can the results be pinned at the top?
I figured we'd give the poll due diligence and leave it up at least long enough for both Day and Night Crew to weigh in. Perhaps the poll closes Saturday around 1?

28-24 Method 1

And major props to LAhawkeye for starting a heated discussion on something other than politics or religion.

Huzzah!

Originally posted by Gonolz:

Originally posted by ICWestfan:
I think I'm having a moment because it's Friday but....can someone answer this for me--

Isn't method one really just re-ordering the subjects and not ranking them? Is re-ordering the same or not as ranking?

Yes. Those who want their thread to use Method Two should say "Rank 'Em" and those who want their thread to use Method One should say "Re-Order 'Em".

+1

method 2 baby

Originally posted by Hawk Meets World:
Originally posted by WVUCOOPER:
I figured we'd give the poll due diligence and leave it up at least long enough for both Day and Night Crew to weigh in. Perhaps the poll closes Saturday around 1?
Sounds good. I'll drop by and ask first thing Monday am. The suspense will be killing me.

I feel like Method 1 overcomplicates things. You have to determine an order, then re-order the girls? That's one step too many. Method two, all you have to do is determine an order.
That's too hard. I look at the group and pick out the best and write down her number, then I pick the next best and write her number....

No need to go to the trouble of ranking all of them and then re-arranging them OR re-numbering them.

That's #1 in it's simplest form.

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:
I feel like Method 1 overcomplicates things. You have to determine an order, then re-order the girls? That's one step too many. Method two, all you have to do is determine an order.
That's too hard. I look at the group and pick out the best and write down her number, then I pick the next best and write her number....

And already you're doing too much work. I look at the picture, and determine which is the hottest, and assign her #1. Find the second hottest, assign her #2....

All this "look, determine, write down, re organize" crap takes way too much work. I'm lazy and I like boobs too much to sit and think about it that much. I'd much rather just stare at the picture.

I like the second girl best, the third girl next, the first girl last:

How complicated is that?

Tilted-Kilt-Girls.jpg

This post was edited on 12/10 2:40 PM by tarheelbybirth

Originally posted by tarheelbybirth:

How complicated is that?

Tilted-Kilt-Girls.jpg

amen brother

the fact that this problem is just now being discovered tells me a small minority of the rankers pay any attention to what others rank.

kind of funny actually

Originally posted by iHawkatKinnick:
the fact that this problem is just now being discovered tells me a small minority of the rankers pay any attention to what others rank.

kind of funny actually

Well, 90% of these pictures are like 3 super models, so been its pretty hard to go wrong with just about any order...

Originally posted by Nick Nolte:

How complicated is that?

Tilted-Kilt-Girls.jpg

amen brother

Method 1 is by far the most logical and easiest. So I like the first girl the best, the third girl next, and the second girl last. I have been asked to RANK THEM. So I am going to RANK THEM: I am ranking the first girl #1, the third girl #2, and the second girl #3. Hence, my ranking of the girls is 1,3,2.

IMO, Method 2 is MORE WORK. Under Method 1, you grab your hottest, and put them down first, then second, and so on. With Method 2, you need to calculate where the first girl in the picture ranks among the other girls. For every girl you need to do a calculation to determine where they stand. MUCH MORE WORK.
This post was edited on 12/10 2:52 PM by uiowa08

Originally posted by uiowa08:

How complicated is that?

Tilted-Kilt-Girls.jpg

amen brother

Method 1 is by far the most logical and easiest. So I like the first girl the best, the third girl next, and the second girl last. I have been asked to RANK THEM. So I am going to RANK THEM: I am ranking the first girl #1, the third girl #2, and the second girl #3. Hence, my ranking of the girls is 1,3,2.

IMO, Method 2 is MORE WORK. Under Method 1, you grab your hottest, and put them down first, then second, and so on. With Method 2, you need to calculate where the first girl in the picture ranks among the other girls. For every girl you need to do a calculation to determine where they stand. MUCH MORE WORK.

Yep. Those methodtwo'ers aren't very bright.

Here is the major difference between the two methods.

Method 1. What you right down (each slot) corresponds to your RANKING. So in slot 1 is the girl ranked 1st, slot 2 is girl ranked 2nd, slot 3 is the girl ranked 3rd, etc.

Method 2. What you right down (each slot) corresponds to the GIRL. So in slot 1 it is where you would rank girl 1, in slot 2 is where you would rank girl 2, etc.

That is the major difference. Whether you consider the slot corresponds to a ranking number or a girl. Method 1 flows naturally and is much easier and more natural to understand. It is a natural left to right ranking of the girls. Ya know, kind of like reading a book. Method 2 is all over the place and has no rhyme or reason.
This post was edited on 12/10 3:04 PM by uiowa08

Originally posted by iammrhawkeyes:

How complicated is that?

Tilted-Kilt-Girls.jpg

amen brother

Yep. Those methodtwo'ers aren't very bright.

At least Method Two'ers don't "right" down their answers. Method One'rs probably think the rythym method is superior to the pill.

How complicated is that?

Tilted-Kilt-Girls.jpg

amen brother

I'm not sure how it's any more work.

You have to do a calculation of where each girl stands before you write down a single number regardless.

Regardless of how you do it, you have to know where they all stand before you can type a single number.

I never even imagined anyone would do it any way BUT method 2. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Method 1. What you right down (each slot) corresponds to your RANKING. So in slot 1 is the girl ranked 1st, slot 2 is girl ranked 2nd, slot 3 is the girl ranked 3rd, etc.

Method 2. What you right down (each slot) corresponds to the GIRL. So in slot 1 it is where you would rank girl 1, in slot 2 is where you would rank girl 2, etc.

That is the major difference. Whether you consider the slot corresponds to a ranking number or a girl. Method 1 flows naturally and is much easier and more natural to understand.
This post was edited on 12/10 3:03 PM by uiowa08

uiowa08 is one of the most rational posters on this board, and he's almost always correct. This is no exception.

He has placed the girls in the correct order in this example to boot.

Method 1. I had no idea there was any other way.

While that's a valid way of looking at it, uiowa, the problem is this:

The reason you're posting at all is to have your opinion examined by others. It's much easier for others to understand how you order them if you keep them coordinated with the picture, as opposed to forcing the reader to play the numbers game with your response.

With Method 2, If they look at the picture, and know your ranking, they immediately know the first girl they look at is your X rank, the next your Y ranking, etc.

With Method 1, they look at the picture and have to find your X ranking, then have to find your Y ranking, etc.

We are on a message board. The purpose of a message board is conversation (followed closely by tits, poop, and casey's pizza). The second method is easier for others to understand your opinion.

Originally posted by Thugthrasher:

I never even imagined anyone would do it any way BUT method 2. It just doesn't make sense to me.
But like I said earlier, it's exactly how you would do it if you were ranking them by hair color. Let's put letters on them: A, B, C. You like B best, then A, then C.

Method 2: A=2, B=1, C=3

Method 1: B,A,C

Basically, method 2 is different from how you would rank them if you were going by any other attribute - it's unnatural and illogical.
This post was edited on 12/10 3:12 PM by tarheelbybirth

The reason you're posting at all is to have your opinion examined by others. It's much easier for others to understand how you order them if you keep them coordinated with the picture, as opposed to forcing the reader to play the numbers game with your response.

With Method 2, If they look at the picture, and know your ranking, they immediately know the first girl they look at is your X rank, the next your Y ranking, etc.

With Method 1, they look at the picture and have to find your X ranking, then have to find your Y ranking, etc.

We are on a message board. The purpose of a message board is conversation (followed closely by tits, poop, and casey's pizza). The second method is easier for others to understand your opinion.

This. Method 2 is the easiest for a direct comparison among all rankers.

That is the major difference. Whether you consider the slot corresponds to a ranking number or a girl. Method 1 flows naturally and is much easier and more natural to understand. It is a natural left to right ranking of the girls. Ya know, kind of like reading a book. Method 2 is all over the place and has no rhyme or reason.

I disagree, it's not easier to understand. this is method two.

you see the number and look up the number directly corresponds with the girls order from left to right in method two as seen here.

Tilted-Kilt-Girls.jpg

312 for method 2

231 for method 1.

in method 1 I have to go back and forth to the picture and the order to figure it out. Method 2 I just look 312 and I see left is worst middle best and girl on the right is 2nd. Way easier IYAM.

More brain power is used to comprehend a Method 2 ranking over a Method 1 ranking. I would bet my life on it.

Originally posted by Thugthrasher:

But like I said earlier, it's exactly how you would do it if you were ranking them by hair color. Let's put letters on them: A, B, C. You like B best, then A, then C.

Method 2: A=2, B=1, C=3

Method 1: B,A,C
Your point would have been more effective had you used a "U" instead of a "C".

"312 for method 2

231 for method 1.

in method 1 I have to go back and forth to the picture and the order to figure it out. Method 2 I just look 312 and I see left is worst middle best and girl on the right is 2nd. Way easier IYAM."

With method 1 in your example, you simply look at the picture and know they rank middle, right, left. what is complicated about that?

"312 for method 2

231 for method 1.

in method 1 I have to go back and forth to the picture and the order to figure it out. Method 2 I just look 312 and I see left is worst middle best and girl on the right is 2nd. Way easier IYAM."

With method 1 in your example, you simply look at the picture and know they rank middle, right, left. what is complicated about that?
never stop campaigning.

The girls are already in order it's our duty to keep them in that order but give them numbers based on how they stack up in the group. Do not rearrange the order lef to right method 2.

Originally posted by 2noles1cup:
"312 for method 2

231 for method 1.

never stop campaigning.

The girls are already in order it's our duty to keep them in that order

It is our duty to keep them in order? Really? Doesn't that kind of go against the whole notion of RANKING THEM. The nature of ranking is to put them in a different order than from whence they came. If they were already in order then WTF am I doing?

"312 for method 2

231 for method 1.

never stop campaigning.

The girls are already in order it's our duty to keep them in that order

It is our duty to keep them in order? Really? Doesn't that kind of go against the whole notion of RANKING THEM. The nature of ranking is to put them in a different order than from whence they came. If they were already in order then WTF am I doing?
You're telling us which one you want to score the most.

uiowa08 connected the the rank'em methodologies to the word slot

I approve.

How complicated is that?

Tilted-Kilt-Girls.jpg

The girl in the middle is the BEST. why did you rank her a 3? You should title the threads Reorder Them for method 1.

Rank em threads should use method 2 because that's essentially what method 2 is.

Am I the only logical thinker here?

The girl in the middle is the BEST. why did you rank her a 3? You should title the threads Reorder Them for method 1.

Rank em threads should use method 2 because that's essentially what method 2 is.

Am I the only logical thinker here?
2,3,1 = Second girl best, third girl next, first girl last. Simple and exactly how you would place them based on hair color, clothing, or any other attribute. Therefore, the most logical for this application as well. Method 2 is for losers.
3dgrin.gif

Method One'rs want to redistribute wealth by re-ordering.

Don't let the Method One'rs take away your hard-earned rankings! We're not communists, after all.

ADVERTISEMENT