ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Determining the Official Method for Rank 'Em Threads

Call me an idiot but I never even considered method 2.

Let me explain. If you put a picture of a Ford Dodge and Chevy truck up in that order and asked me to rank them I would instant say:

Ford, Chevy, Dodge or 1,3,2

By ranking something the best you are putting at the top of the list or the front of the line. Period.

My head kinda hurts over this.

Originally posted by tarheelbybirth:
Originally posted by Thugthrasher:

I never even imagined anyone would do it any way BUT method 2. It just doesn't make sense to me.
But like I said earlier, it's exactly how you would do it if you were ranking them by hair color. Let's put letters on them: A, B, C. You like B best, then A, then C.

Method 2: A=2, B=1, C=3

Method 1: B,A,C

Basically, method 2 is different from how you would rank them if you were going by any other attribute - it's unnatural and illogical.
This post was edited on 12/10 3:12 PM by tarheelbybirth

Your method is great in most situations. However, when there is a picture and the objects you are ranking are ALREADY placed into an easy to follow visual order (one which must be referenced to understand your ranking, regardless of method), it makes sense to USE that already established order in order to prevent any confusion.

On another note, I believe that when there are 2 or 3 girls, method 1 & method 2 actually give you the same answer. It's only when 4 or more are involved that it becomes an issue.

Originally posted by AlumniNole:
Call me an idiot but I never even considered method 2.

Let me explain. If you put a picture of a Ford Dodge and Chevy truck up in that order and asked me to rank them I would instant say:

Ford, Chevy, Dodge or 1,3,2

By ranking something the best you are putting at the top of the list or the front of the line. Period.

My head kinda hurts over this.
Idiot.

So do you mentally move the Ford to the left in the picture? No. Do you mentally pick up the Dodge and move it to the far right? No.

Rather, you give the Ford a #1. You look at it and recognize it's best... without having to "rearrange" the picture mentally. It's just tops, no matter where it's located. That, my friend, is Method 2.

Method #1 is by far the superior method. Why you ask? For two simple reasons: it is easier to rank via the process of elimination & it is easier for the observer to efficiently seek your preference.

With a small number of eligible candidates, neither method is overly complicated, but take the following picture for example.

Chap2.jpg

Using method #2, but default the girl furthest to the left starts as 1. As you work your way to the right, the furthest to the left's rank remains the same or drops and she is demoted in rank. Continuing this for every slot can become tedious and difficult to remember previously judged girls. Very time consuming.

Using method #1, one can immediately pin point their preference. It then becomes a matter of finding the next highest choice on the list. So on and so forth until there is only one left to choose from.

And as an observer of your results, I can immediately focus on your first choice when reading your list without having to waste my time reviewing the bottom of the list. Method #1 is far superior in that respect as well.

Originally posted by Hawk Meets World:
80 votes in and it's still too close to call. Absentee ballots may decide this thing.

I think someone is tampering with the voting machines. No way that many people voted for method two. No freakin way.

Originally posted by Hawk Meets World:
Originally posted by LAhawkeye:
Did I just open pandora's box?
You've spurned the most heated debate since the election, that's for sure.

I'm surprised the 2 methods haven't been brought up before. They just occurred to me as I was checking out the daily rank em threads. I'm also surprised at how even it is as to who uses which method. I've been called out before on my rankings, so I figured I was going to be in the minority with method 1.

Majority wins.

Method 1: Re-Ordering the Picture in terms of hotness/bangability
Method 2: Ranking the Picture from Left to Right

EXAMPLE:
16chixx.jpg

Method 1: 4, 3, 1, 2
Method 2: 3, 4, 2, 1
The logical, intelligent, rational way is the way everybody would do this; the girls are numbered consecutively from left to right, and the ranking lists the ranker's first choice first, his second choice second, etc.

As I understand it, that would be Method 1.

Since that is the logical, intelligent, rational method, I assume there is a lot of support on HROT for Method 2.

ADVERTISEMENT