ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Do You Agree with Trump's Tech Bans?

Which of the following bans do you or would you agree with? Check all you think are OK.

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
The three that have been in the news lately are Huawei (hardware, including 5G), TikTok (app), and WeChat (app).

Now that Twitter and Facebook are timidly cracking down on some of Trump's lies, do you think he'll threaten them, too?

Last edited:
The three that have been in the news lately are Huewei (hardware, including 5G), TikTok (app), and WeChat (app).

Now that Twitter and Facebook are timidly cracking down on some of Trump's lies, do you think he'll threaten them, too?

Since you haven’t heard, they’ve already been threatened with potential changes to Section 320.

It’s a provision that limits certain liabilities for communication. I don’t know where it’s going but it’s definitely a shot across social media’s bow.
Interesting that the GOP wants to reduce liability for businesses that may abuse or endanger folks during the pandemic, but wants to increase liabilities for media companies who timidly stand up for truth and honesty.

Interesting, but hardly surprising.

A couple of election cycles ago, they would have been more circumspect; but now they see no need to hide their true aims. And, guess what, they are getting away with it. They may or may not get their way, but if they don't it won't be because the people or press are making a big stink about it.

Reactions: Rudolph
Interesting that the GOP wants to reduce liability for businesses that may abuse or endanger folks during the pandemic, but wants to increase liabilities for media companies who timidly stand up for truth and honesty.

I believe 320 has bipartisan support and participation. You might consider trying to read up on it with a bit more objectivity, then make a decision.

I believe 320 has bipartisan support and participation. You might consider trying to read up on it with a bit more objectivity, then make a decision.
So . . . I shouldn't rely on you?

These days, bipartisan support seldom means something is actually good.

It more often means that the employees of the corporate donor class on both sides of the aisle agree.

I used to take Huawei seriously as a security threat because everybody seemed to agree that it was a security threat.

Then Trump signaled that his Huawei ban and our effort to arrest the Huawei official in Canada were just bargaining chips in the trade war.

Either it's a real security threat or it's a bargaining chip. Can't be both.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
So . . . I shouldn't rely on you?

These days, bipartisan support seldom means something is actually good.

It more often means that the employees of the corporate donor class on both sides of the aisle agree.

Me? I told you about it’s existence. You should inform yourself to determine if you support it or not.

Are you ok? Start at the beginning of our exchange and read it again.
You said: I shot him with my AR2-15.d2

I said: What's a AR2-15.d2?

You said: It's a squirt gun.

I said: So you just got him a little wet?

You said: You should research the AR2-15.d2 before you take a strand.

I said: You told me it's a squirt gun. Why would I need to know more than that?

I voted Huewei only, but tik tok should be investigated further. The general consensus is that Huewei is a legitimate concern and has been for a long time. How Trump is trying to leverage is a bit irrelevant, occasionally he is correct in his direction but completely wrong in his path.
Not sure about tiktok but if India is already seeing issues/concerns, we should learn from others.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
You said: I shot him with my AR2-15.d2

I said: What's a AR2-15.d2?

You said: It's a squirt gun.

I said: So you just got him a little wet?

You said: You should research the AR2-15.d2 before you take a strand.

I said: You told me it's a squirt gun. Why would I need to know more than that?

Lay off the hallucinogens.

Cons are taking the position that the Chinese government is using TikTok to spy on Americans. Is there any proof of this?

Well, they emptied the Chinese out of Houston for spying. I don't think China is spying on us either, right Huey?

You’ve probably explained your reasoning but comingling the chinese companies with twitter and facebook is a bit confusing. Certainly possible that the bay area giants are compromised but their servers and tech are located here subject to our laws and jurisdiction, so i would discuss them separately.
but i would definitely ban the chna apps even on the grounds that many are ripoffs of our stuff while our apps are banned there in any case.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
You’ve probably explained your reasoning but comingling the chinese companies with twitter and facebook is a bit confusing. Certainly possible that the bay area giants are compromised but their servers and tech are located here subject to our laws and jurisdiction, so i would discuss them separately.
but i would definitely ban the chna apps even on the grounds that many are ripoffs of our stuff while our apps are banned there in any case.

Exactly. I really don't think people realize just how restricted it is for American businesses to do business in China. Most aren't even allowed. NO ONE, not a single American should not support bans on anything China related. I have no clue why everyone didn't support the trade wars. Oh wait. Yeah I do. Politics.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Ban anything and everything from China as far as I am concerned.
Why?

What makes them different from other competitors - who have their own best interests at heart, and not ours?

Are we simply unable to compete? If so, wouldn't it be better to fix the problems rather than cut ourselves out of part of the market?

Trump's mistakes don't repair prior mistakes by both parties. They just make them worse. Especially since the damage is entirely self-inflicted.

Why?

What makes them different from other competitors - who have their own best interests at heart, and not ours?

Are we simply unable to compete? If so, wouldn't it be better to fix the problems rather than cut ourselves out of part of the market?

Trump's mistakes don't repair prior mistakes by both parties. They just make them worse. Especially since the damage is entirely self-inflicted.

Because it's not a fair game, period. Play fair, and I am all for the competition.

You are asking about competing with the 3 chinese companies in your poll i assume. They operate exclusively in their country while their owners (communist party) denies our apps access to their citizenry. that’s competition?
additionally, you do realize that they are all copies of american/canadian inventions and rely even currently on american tech to stay current. banning them is a mechanism to make them compete properly or perish in future obscurity. and thats just the business side of things, not even security threats at various layers.

I voted Tik Tok only because my wife (no pic) is obsessed with it. One thing the COVID did, is it opened the world of Tik Tok to middle aged women. It won’t be long before the youth abandon it and find something new and shiny.

ADVERTISEMENT