ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Do You Agree with Trump's Tech Bans?

Which of the following bans do you or would you agree with? Check all you think are OK.

• Total voters
My comment was in reaction to a suggestion we ban everything from China. Not about those 3.
ok thanks for clarifying. i used to think that there’s nothing wrong with trading with the chinese in a win win scenario where they get to pull people out of poverty while we get good deals. its however clear now that they are a malign entity set upon acquiring or eliminating the goose (american innovation) by any means. and their behavior wrt covid has been repugnant.
interestingly i recall in earlier times (that coincided with the time frame when i was a fan of trading with the chinese) you used to be a staunch opponent. now we find our positions reversed.

In other news, our Intelligence services are now saying that China wants Trump to lose, while Russia is already trying to undermine Biden.

The consensus seems to be that Russia is more sophisticated and experienced, so has an edge.

Iran is also said to be involved in hacking/swaying our elections, although I didn't catch if they said which candidate they were working for or against. Presumably against Trump, but who knows?

interestingly i recall in earlier times (that coincided with the time frame when i was a fan of trading with the chinese) you used to be a staunch opponent.
Not really. My main arguments back then were (1) that we shouldn't have just handed over "most favored nation status" for free but, instead, (2) should have used our dominance (while we still had it) to strongarm them into behaving better. But neither of those happened.

Even worse, instead of setting a good example, we did the opposite. And China learned.

We have not behaved like a rational actor on the international stage. If you are China (or Russia) how would you have reacted?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT