ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Expectations for Iowa's 2015-2016 season

Your poll is incomplete.

Need to add middle of the B1G (5th through 8th) and just make the NCAA tourney

Without White & Olaseni, I just fear that the scoring & front court presence isn't going to be good enough to prevent a bit of a slip next year.. So I view next year as a bit of a rebuilding year. Would love to be surprised, though. If Uthoff, Jok & Gesell can be good leaders and handle the bulk of the scoring, and we can get some contributions from some of the newcomers and guys like Uhl and maybe Ellingson, then maybe Iowa could content for an NCAA bid again. Otherwise, I think NIT may be more realistic. We're losing more this year than we did a year ago, and I think it's gonna sting a bit.

My real concern is the front court. Is Woody going to be ready to be the man next year? He's going to need to be, because we won't be deep on the front line.

I am not worried about Iowa's season, but was just curious what Iowa fans thought.

There's a huge void with Aaron White graduating, but if the expectations are low and the team still makes the NCAA Tourney, then it's a huge success. If everyone thinks they'll make the NCAA tourney, but it comes up short, them it's a tough year.

There should never be low expectations. We have a solid core coming back and players will continue to develop. The mindset of "we are losing a lot of people, I'm not sure we can be as good" isn't a mindset to have. We as fans have to expect to be great and hope for greatness. I think Iowa has the tools to be a very good team next year and I hope that is the case. They were a lot of fun to watch this year and I look forward to the same next year.

Originally posted by SDHawkDoc:
Your poll is incomplete.

Need to add middle of the B1G (5th through 8th) and just make the NCAA tourney
That would be my pick. Don't see us winning the BIG for sure, but also don't see us dwelling in the bottom and eking out an NIT bid.

I don't think recruiting is at the level to expect anything like a sweet 16 and beyond type of season every year, whether it's here or Iowa State. Both programs are at the point of getting into the tourney and winning a game or two if they have favorable matchups, but that's it. It will take some incredible player development or a high caliber blue chip to elevate beyond that.

I think we're an NIT team next season. Loss of White and Olaseni hurts too badly with no big bodies coming in.

I fully expect Iowa to be an NCAA tourney team next year. I don't think they'll finish 3rd in the Big 10 again, but somewhere in the 6 to 4th range, which should be good for an at-large.

When I look at Iowa now, I see them being back at the level they were under Tom Davis - where you expect 20 wins and a tournament appearance and a good shot at winning a game or two every year.

I don't think next year's recruits are sure-fire stars, but I think the overall roster will have upgraded athleticism, which should allow Iowa to play at a good tempo and with as good of defense as last year.

If Woodbury magically has a big-time senior season (unlikely, but not impossible) maybe the ceiling is even higher.

I think Gessel and Uthoff are poised to be very, very good. Gessel is way underrate by many Iowa fans, IMO.

Im more in the middle of the pack range next year. We will probably finish around 4-7th place and get into the NCAA. The good thing for Iowa is the Big Ten is losing ALOT in terms of talent. I know some teams will re-load, but the experience factor of starting 4 seniors will help.

I just think the hawks return 7 decent players and I look for Utoff, Gessell, and Clemmons to take that next step and become great players. I think this taste of a tourney run will motivate them to improve in the off-season. Remember these guys have never experienced the NCAA tournament (last year we got beat and were out before it even started).

The rebounding factor does come into play a little bit, but I look at a team like West Virgina? Do they have a "true" post player? Watching them vs Maryland it looks like they all were 6-3 to 6-8. They were very scrappy and athletic. Im not saying Iowa is gonna be on their level, but they seem to make it work.

The whole key to Iowa's season is Shooting. If we can consistently shoot the ball better, we will be fine. This year we had a great run and had a decent record while shooting horrible. If we can improve our shooting, that will help next years team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT