ADVERTISEMENT

Poll for people with female significant others...

How does the lady in your life feel about the abortion question?

• Happy with the Roe decision

Votes: 21 12.4%
  • Unhappy with the Roe decision

Votes: 110 64.7%
  • Okay with restricting abortion, but must be exceptions for health of the mother, rape, incest, etc.

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • I don't have a lady friend :(

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
My bad....I thought this was a HROT garage sale thread...

led-stripper-pole-rental-2-1.jpg

Wife and daughters not really talking about it much,.. This might change if we don't see reasonable accommodations being made at the the state level.

My daughters and wife are pissed with the decision.

My wife and daughters favor reasonable limitations....not abolition.
The decision didn't abolish abortion. It said that there isn't a constitutional guarantee to the right of it. Now, it's up to the people of your state to decide whether or not to allow it, abolish it, or allow it in certain situations.

The decision didn't abolish abortion. It said that there isn't a constitutional guarantee to the right of it. Now, it's up to the people of your state to decide whether or not to allow it, abolish it, or allow it in certain situations.
True...

Unfortunately R's are kind of married to the abolition position to appease the base.

It's going to be difficult for them to thread that needle.

No. It's up to state legislatures who are not obligated to follow the will of the majority of the people in their state.

At the end of the day im guessing most states will allow it and allow non-residents with open arms. People will still have the choice, but some may have to travel a few hours to a neighboring state. Its not something that you have to do often, hopefully.

• Haha
Reactions: Wendy79
At the end of the day im guessing most states will allow it and allow non-residents with open arms. People will still have the choice, but some may have to travel a few hours to a neighboring state. Its not something that you have to do often, hopefully.
"A few hours"?

More like a day (or more) of driving for some.

Female friends all disapprove.

Family wise. One sister, very liberal, obvious. Mother, voted repub most of her life (but not recently due to maga insanity) doesn't approve, says she had more rights than daughters now. Other sister not as political, but doubt she approves.

And as was pointed out in the video, abolishing abortion is the only consistent stance for people who claim it's murder. Anything less is hypocrisy of the highest order. There's no way to thread that particular needle.

For that matter, they must pass laws that hold the mother accountable for the murder...there's no way around that without compounding their hypocrisy.

There are states looking to criminalize abortions even if they're carried out in other states. And anyone who aided in it would be charged so if you drive someone, you face criminal charges.

There are states looking to criminalize abortions even if they're carried out in other states. And anyone who aided in it would be charged so if you drive someone, you face criminal charges.
That seems like a really big overreach. I cant really see this being legal.

Reactions: goldmom
It's probably the unborn baby's business...
It’s not hard to see where this leads. Civil or criminal penalties for miscarriages, necessary abortions for ectopic pregnancies, IVF limitations, on and on. All of which are extremely personal matters.

That’s what she’s upset about. If she miscarries, she doesn’t want to have to explain herself. It’s no one else’s business.

Obviously that is debatable but if you do something in a state where its legal, why would the state you are from have any jurisdiction?
Heath v. Alabama... any state in which an essential part of a crime has been committed can prosecute the offender. Two men kidnapped a woman in Alabama and took her to Georgia to kill her. SCOTUS held that each state could prosecute for the same crime...double jeopardy didn't apply.

Unhappy with it. In-law's though are pleased with it. So this weekends family gathering at their house should be fun

Heath v. Alabama... any state in which an essential part of a crime has been committed can prosecute the offender. Two men kidnapped a woman in Alabama and took her to Georgia to kill her. SCOTUS held that each state could prosecute for the same crime...double jeopardy didn't apply.

Except murder is a crime in both states in Heath. Different when the abortion is performed in a state that allows it.

And last time I checked, we were still free to travel between states with no papers - of course, the Court term is not finished until next week so that could change.

Except murder is a crime in both states in Heath. Different when the abortion is performed in a state that allows it.

And last time I checked, we were still free to travel between states with no papers - of course, the Court term is not finished until next week so that could change.
If it's a crime in State A and an essential part of the crime occurred in that state, Heath says that State A can prosecute regardless of what the other state chooses to do. The states are sovereign entities. That it's not a crime in the other state would be immaterial.

If it's a crime in State A and an essential part of the crime occurred in that state, Heath says that State A can prosecute regardless of what the other state chooses to do. The states are sovereign entities. That it's not a crime in the other state would be immaterial.

In Heath, kidnapping and murder were illegal in both states. That fact pattern is not present here and readily distinguishable.

Here, the "crime" is the abortion.

Any state trying to make interstate travel to a state where abortion is legal will almost certainly lose on a number of constitutional grounds, even with this Court, imho.

In Heath, kidnapping and murder were illegal in both states. That fact pattern is not present here and readily distinguishable.

Here, the "crime" is the abortion.

Any state trying to make interstate travel to a state where abortion is legal will almost certainly lose on a number of constitutional grounds, even with this Court, imho.
You might be correct but Heath was tried for murder in Alabama under Alabama law even though the murder occurred in Georgia. O'Connor wrote that the power "to undertake criminal prosecutions derive from separate and independent sources of power and authority originally belonging to [states] before admission to the Union and preserved to them by the Tenth Amendment." Alabama acted as a "separate and independent" sovereign state in prosecuting Heath and I can't see how the law in Georgia changes that.

States will certainly pass such laws regardless and it will be up to SCOTUS to decide...I wish I had your optimism as to the outcome but they have already demonstrated deference to local govts over the Constitution.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT