ADVERTISEMENT

Poll for people with female significant others...

How does the lady in your life feel about the abortion question?

• Happy with the Roe decision

Votes: 21 12.4%
  • Unhappy with the Roe decision

Votes: 110 64.7%
  • Okay with restricting abortion, but must be exceptions for health of the mother, rape, incest, etc.

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • I don't have a lady friend :(

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
She's ok with it but she doesn't trust Republicans to write the rules that will protect mother's lives if needed.

I don't personally think that's going to be an issue. I just don't trust Republican with Democracy right now.

Reactions: VodkaSam
The decision didn't abolish abortion. It said that there isn't a constitutional guarantee to the right of it. Now, it's up to the people of your state to decide whether or not to allow it, abolish it, or allow it in certain situations.
For now. This isn’t the radical Christian right’s endgame. Federal ban is the goal.

My wife is definitely fired up over it, she even invited me to go to the local demonstration, but I declined as I wasn't in the right frame of mind at the time.

What surprised me was when I overheard her talking to her 77 year old mother about it on Saturday and my MIL was even more angry than my wife and my MIL is a lifelong devout and practicing Catholic.

Reactions: torbee

“Patients are very upset, crying and desperate,” said a representative from Women’s Med, one of the few remaining abortion providers in Ohio. “There is a lot of confusion.”
“Today we saw a patient in Dayton who has cancer. Her doctors told her she would have to terminate before she received chemotherapy treatment. She will have to travel to Indiana. A mom brought her daughter in and doesn’t own a car. She will have to rent one to get her daughter to her appointment in Indianapolis later this week.”
There were 2,770 induced abortions performed in Montgomery County in 2020, the most recent data available from the Ohio Department of Health. This amounted to 13.4% of the procedures in the state. Statewide, 61.8 percent of the 20,605 induced abortions reported in 2020 were less than nine weeks along.
Women’s Med estimates about one of every 15 of its patients are less than six weeks pregnant. Many women don’t even know they are pregnant that early.
As Ohio and other states pass increasingly restrictive laws, options for women decrease and the remaining providers can’t accommodate everyone, the Women’s Med representative said.
“We hear many providers are already fully booked for three or four weeks. That means someone who is 19 weeks in her pregnancy will not be able to get an abortion at all, even if she is carrying a dead fetus, even if she needs to terminate in order to get chemotherapy, even if she was raped,” the representative said.

My wife is definitely fired up over it, she even invited me to go to the local demonstration, but I declined as I wasn't in the right frame of mind at the time.

What surprised me was when I overheard her talking to her 77 year old mother about it on Saturday and my MIL was even more angry than my wife and my MIL is a lifelong devout and practicing Catholic.

Send this to your MIL, please.

• Haha
Reactions: Wendy79
Send this to your MIL, please.

God is pro choice.

Otherwise, he wouldn't let 75% of the fertilized embryos die and flush themselves out.

Pro-choice is "part of God's plan". Who are you do say God's plan didn't include someone making a personal choice?

I‘m in a very Catholic family. My wife and two daughters went to Catholic school K-12. They are furious with the decision.

Could this SCOTUS decision backfire on the Republicans in mid-terms?

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
I‘m in a very Catholic family. My wife and two daughters went to Catholic school K-12. They are furious with the decision.

Could this SCOTUS decision backfire on the Republicans in mid-terms?

Ask them to read this please. TIA.

"No Catholic can responsibly take a "pro-choice" stand when the "choice" in question involves the taking of innocent human life."

• Haha
Ask them to read this please. TIA.

"No Catholic can responsibly take a "pro-choice" stand when the "choice" in question involves the taking of innocent human life."

Just like the women in my life have moved away from the Republican Party, they’ve also moved away from the Catholic church a little bit as well.

I guess they’re tired of old white males telling them how to live. With women having no leadership roles or say in any matters.

Just like the women in my life have moved away from the Republican Party, they’ve also moved away from the Catholic church a little bit as well.

I guess they’re tired of old white males telling them how to live. With women having no leadership roles or say in any matters.

Please show them this, too:

• Haha
Then they are at odds with their church and should not receive Communion...
From my perspective, there are a million compelling reasons to be at odds with the Catholic church. Sorry I won’t be sharing any of this with her, she won’t need it as her ticket to heaven is likely paid in full and she’s just waiting for the call up.

Please show them this, too:

Get back to me with a list of female Priests, Bishops, Arch-Bishops, Cardinals and Popes.

Until then, I don’t care what woman on your “ Top 100” is in charge of the Archives, Education, legal Counsel etc. Your list is a joke.

I was raised Catholic and accepted my wife’s wish for my kids to attend the Catholic School, but the church lost me when they moved around, covered up for pedophile priests, and then forced to pay millions and millions to victims.

Women aren’t leaders in the Catholic Church. Middle management at best with a male telling them what to do at every level.

Get back to me with a list of female Priests, Bishops, Arch-Bishops, Cardinals and Popes.

Until then, I don’t care what woman on your “ Top 100” is in charge of the Archives, Education, legal Counsel etc. Your list is a joke.

I was raised Catholic and accepted my wife’s wish for my kids to attend the Catholic School, but the church lost me when they moved around, covered up for pedophile priests, and then forced to pay millions and millions to victims.

Women aren’t leaders in the Catholic Church. Middle management at best with a male telling them what to do at every level.

Jesus established the Church with men at the head. That doesn't mean women are ignored or disrespected.

The most revered human of all is Mary, the Mother of God.

Lastly, the Church did indeed bungle some abuse cases decades ago before sexual abuse was as well understood as it is now. The prevailing psychological idea at the time were that abusers could be "cured" with some therapy. That all ended in 2002 when the Church reformed how it handled abuse cases. Since then, there have been hardly ANY abuse cases.

Less than 5%, of priests were accused of abusing children. That's a lower rate than public school teachers. Please don't leave Jesus because of Judas.

Please read these links:

Wife is for abortions until a certain week but thinks it should be left to the states instead of the federal government. I feel the same way #2PeasInAPod

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
From my perspective, there are a million compelling reasons to be at odds with the Catholic church. Sorry I won’t be sharing any of this with her, she won’t need it as her ticket to heaven is likely paid in full and she’s just waiting for the call up.

We can hope and pray she gets to Heaven but supporting abortion could constitute a mortal sin.

Dying in mortal sin means eternal Hell, forever.

• Haha
We can hope and pray she gets to Heaven but supporting abortion could constitute a mortal sin.

fart-farting.gif

Jesus established the Church with men at the head.
Where did Jesus say “I am establishing this church, with men at the head”?

And while your looking that up, tell me more about the women in leadership In the Catholic Church. Because the two things you’re claiming, don’t go together.

And while your looking that up, tell me more about the women in leadership In the Catholic Church. Because the two things you’re claiming, don’t go together.

Jesus made Peter the first Pope. He chose all men to be His Apostles. That's why the clergy are all male today.

There are still altar girls and women Eucharistic ministers.

Regardless, we're talking about your eternal soul, my friend.

Life is short. Death is forever. I hope you'll come home, for the Eucharist.

Attain Heaven, avoid Hell.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Surprisingly my wife made me look like a liberal on this one. I'm not thrilled with the decision but really just want laws around it (e.g. illegal after 15 weeks except for when the woman's physical health is at stake).

I lost this argument once (or a very similar one).

Jesus didn't say it, it's in Paul's letters, and not in those exact words.

See, I'd always believed women to be at least equal if not better equipped for church leadership than men. A Presbyterian was stating it as fact that women shouldn't be preachers... I told them they were nuts and went to my Bible to prove them wrong.

Well... the Bible clearly loves women, but when it comes to the question of church leadership, there are examples where it says women shouldn't be leading, but no examples where it says they should...

You can do some gymnastics and justify it, but in terms of actual verses suggesting women should be in church leadership, it's just not there.

I still think it sounds stupid, but admit I couldn't find real biblical support for my position.

So you believe this man’s mother in law is going to go to hell, for supporting an abortion for a rape victim, or for a pregnancy that could kill her daughter?

While we’re at it, do you believe any non-catholic children from the Uvalde school shooting are burning in eternal hell, for not being catholic?

“The Most Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews, heretics, and schismatics can ever be partakers of eternal life, but that they are to go into the eternal fire”
- Pope Eugene IV in the Bull Cantate Domino (1441)

Jesus made Peter the first Pope. He chose all men to be His Apostles. That's why the clergy are all male today.
I think it sound more like “the boys club”. It started with a bunch of guys because let’s face it, women were probably pretty oppressed around 5 AD. It was convenient for the men to stay in power.

In addition the early catholic church likely realized celibate, unwed male priests, keeps the wealth with the Catholic Church. With no wife or kids, Inheritance never gets messy, as everything, for all time, is always left in whole to the Catholic Church.

Also, male priests could fool around and never a scandal…who would say anything against a priest? Female priest fools around…ends up pregnant. No denying a pregnancy. Male scandals easier to hide/suppress. At least they used to be.

I think the Catholic faith is more restrictive than the Muslim religion on allowing a woman to be a clergy leader (priest).

Last edited:
So you believe this man’s mother in law is going to go to hell, for supporting an abortion for a rape victim, or for a pregnancy that could kill her daughter?

While we’re at it, do you believe any non-catholic children from the Uvalde school shooting are burning in eternal hell, for not being catholic?

“The Most Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews, heretics, and schismatics can ever be partakers of eternal life, but that they are to go into the eternal fire”
- Pope Eugene IV in the Bull Cantate Domino (1441)

I don't know who is going to Hell. I hope no one goes but it's not looking good for so many in our atheist culture.

I don't think ANY children under the age of reason go to Hell, that would include the Uvalde school shooting victims.

This explains your quote from Pope Eugene IV:

I think it sound more like “the boys club”. It started with a bunch of guys because let’s face it, women were probably pretty oppressed around 5 AD. It was convenient for the men to stay in power.

In addition the early catholic church likely realized celibate, unwed male priests, keeps the wealth with the Catholic Church. With no wife or kids, Inheritance never gets messy, as everything, for all time, is always left in whole to the Catholic Church.

Also, male priests could fool around and never a scandal…who would say anything against a priest? Female priest fools around…ends up pregnant. No denying a pregnancy. Male scandals easier to hide/suppress. At least they used to be.

I think the Catholic faith is more restrictive than the Muslim religion on allowing a woman to be a clergy leader (priest).

Women were the first ones to find the empty tomb after Jesus resurrected. Mary is considered the Queen of Heaven. The Church treats women a WHOLE lot better than our culture does. (As sex objects.)

Jesus recommended celibacy, as did Saint Paul. You know who is the unhappiest person in a church? A protestant pastor's wife because he's never home..:)

Staying unmarried is both recommended by Jesus and Saint Paul as well as practical since a priest would have difficulty keeping up his duties with 7 kids at home.

Anyways, what do you think is a better way to attain Heaven and avoid Hell; staying in the church with the sacraments or rejecting it completely?

The clear answer to me is staying in the church, even with an all male clergy.

I don't know who is going to Hell. I hope no one goes but it's not looking good for so many in our atheist culture.

I don't think ANY children under the age of reason go to Hell, that would include the Uvalde school shooting victims.

This explains your quote from Pope Eugene IV:

Problem with the Catholic Church, is that they claim to always be misunderstood….never “wrong”

Pope Eugene IV said all non catholics burn in hell. My father was told the same thing in the 1950s at his catholic school. Catholic missionaries converted millions with the same story…if they don’t believe, they will burn in hell for eternity.

Catholic Church changes the narrative when it suits them.

Dont eat meat on Friday….it’s a sin. But hey, get a special dispensation from the local priest and enjoy a pork sandwich.

Don’t mean to offend, I was raised in a Catholic family, just jaded by some of the mean spirited priests I’ve run into over the years as well as light finally being shone on the church scandals of the last few decades, that have been going on for 2,000 years.

Women were the first ones to find the empty tomb after Jesus resurrected. Mary is considered the Queen of Heaven. The Church treats women a WHOLE lot better than our culture does. (As sex objects.)

Jesus recommended celibacy, as did Saint Paul. You know who is the unhappiest person in a church? A protestant pastor's wife because he's never home..:)

Staying unmarried is both recommended by Jesus and Saint Paul as well as practical since a priest would have difficulty keeping up his duties with 7 kids at home.

Anyways, what do you think is a better way to attain Heaven and avoid Hell; staying in the church with the sacraments or rejecting it completely?

The clear answer to me is staying in the church, even with an all male clergy.

So.... you're one of the posters who voted for "I don't have a lady friend"?

Reactions: HawkFan1298
Problem with the Catholic Church, is that they claim to always be misunderstood….never “wrong”

Pope Eugene IV said all non catholics burn in hell. My father was told the same thing in the 1950s at his catholic school. Catholic missionaries converted millions with the same story…if they don’t believe, they will burn in hell for eternity.

Dont eat meat on Friday….it’s a sin. But hey, get a special dispensation from the local priest and enjoy a pork sandwich.

Don’t mean to offend, I was raised in a Catholic family, just jaded by some of the mean spirited priests I’ve run into over the years as well as light finally being shone on the church scandals of the last few decades, that have been going on for 2,000 years.

Pope Eugene IV said that but it's not dogma.

As I wrote earlier, don't leave Jesus because of Judas. Some priests are saints and some are garbage and everything in-between. It's just the nature of any large group.

Here are some sermons I'm listening to by the great Saint John Vianney. The patron saint of parish priests, the ideal. :)

It makes great car listening on long drives.

How old are you? Do you ever think about your own end?

Which is the best way to attain eternal bliss: staying with Jesus in the Church or rejecting it completely?
Do you believe that only Catholics staying with Jesus can attain eternal bliss?

What will happen to the Jewish, Protestants, Muslims, Buddhists, etc., that are all living pious, generous, giving lives? They cannot attain eternal bliss?

What about Athiests, or non-religious people living in famine and poverty in third world countries, but they live a life of Jesus, even though they’ve never heard of him? Can they not live in eternal bliss?

If they can’t attain eternal bliss, where do they go?

Reactions: HawkFan1298
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT