Votes: 17 8.4%

Votes: 17 8.4%

Votes: 14 6.9%
  • Older than that

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • I don't own a car

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
2009 BMW 328i with 198k miles. The inline 6 engine is still running like silk, and it has no rattles at all, so I plan to keep it for at least three more years. The only downside is having to use an aux cord because the tech is so old.

I custom ordered my '19 F150 last June and have already put almost 13K on it. No one had the configuration I wanted (I wanted the longer box). The couple we found in Minnesota, the dealer wouldn't trade with our local dealer and the price was going to be about the same so I just ordered what I wanted.

Wife currently drives an 11 Fusion that we'll be upgrading soon. Because I got new, the wife seems to think she deserves something brand new as well. Although their aren't that many used Expeditions on the market with the right combination of price vs. age/miles.

Paying cash, regardless of what you drive, is the only way to go. The rest of y’all are suckers.

Typically you can get 0% to 3% financing. Leave the money in brokerage account and make 7%.

There is an emotional advantage to having no car payment, but not a mathematical one.

Typically you can get 0% to 3% financing. Leave the money in brokerage account and make 7%.

There is an emotional advantage to having no car payment, but not a mathematical one.

tell us about how rich you’re getting with a 4% spread on $50K over the term of a car loan.

Reactions: OrlandNole

You are correct but the issue is that in our day of instant gratification and keeping up with the neighbors too many people lack the discipline to not spend the money. Risk is another issue. Better returns mean greater risk. If you are too greedy and try beat the spread by too much..you could lose some of that money. It would be akin to borrowing money to play the stock market. But.. to those with the discipline and financial savvy you can make money off that leverage.

2002 BMW 325i
2006 BMW X5 3.0i

325i drives excellent and looks pretty good after 18 years and 123k miles.

The X5's transmission apparently just took a dump at 173k miles. It's a damn shame, cause other than miles and the obvious repair issue it's in great shape. I don't like...I LOVE this SUV.

I haven't had to vehicle shop in 7+ years. I gotta have an SUV/pickup though to tow my boat and occasionally haul things, and am currently shopping and am going through a bit of sticker shock. So, I have a decision to make and the best one at this time appears to rebuild/replace the transmission at roughly $3-$4k.

I am stunned at what the entry level is for SUV and trucks that are less than 100k miles and 10 years old. Every reasonably priced one I find has 175,000 miles on it (or more) and they still want $10k for it.

Cars...great cars at that - are cheap currently. Trucks/SUV's though...ugh.

Single owner.

1.8 million miles (all Highway)

EjreCL1.jpg

2015 Acura. I'd still be driving my 2000 Acura if some idiot in a Saab didn't plow into me while she was drunk and on her phone.

2017 fully loaded Chrysler Pacifica. Bought it new when it only had like 100 miles on it.

Currently I drive a 2016 Mercedes GLE 350 and the wife has a 2018 Lexus ES 350. We have a 17 month old kid and another cooking so we are thinking about upsizing.

What are your thoughts on the Pacifica? With kid number two coming soon and a chance we go for three the Mercedes will be getting small fast. For me a minivan makes more sense than a full size suv. From the small amount of research I have done it is the Pacifica, Sienna and Odyssey depending on the features you want.

M
Currently I drive a 2016 Mercedes GLE 350 and the wife has a 2018 Lexus ES 350. We have a 17 month old kid and another cooking so we are thinking about upsizing.

What are your thoughts on the Pacifica? With kid number two coming soon and a chance we go for three the Mercedes will be getting small fast. For me a minivan makes more sense than a full size suv. From the small amount of research I have done it is the Pacifica, Sienna and Odyssey depending on the features you want.
My son just got a new Pacifica and loves it. And he is fussy. I have a Sienna and like it as they are reliable.

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
I thought you would only use Public Transportation or a Bike.
Sadly, I get carsick on buses. But I do ride a bike or electric scooter for some local trips. Especially in nice weather.

I don't drive my car that much. Under 60K for a 20-year-old car. Barely over 1K per year some years since I retired. But I do have friends and family that are too far to reach without a car.

I'm waiting for automated Uber vehicles. I assume they'll be cheap. Will hardly need a car then. I mean who needs to see friends and family in person? Skype's upcoming holograph version should be good enough for everything but sex.

M

My son just got a new Pacifica and loves it. And he is fussy. I have a Sienna and like it as they are reliable.

The AWD of the Sienna intrigued me. Depending where the USAF sends my wife next that could be a needed option. It also sounds like it will be getting remodeled soon.

2014 Audi S6. 80,000 miles. 420 HP V8. Damn fun to drive.

I was looking at them hard over the last week. The '17 A4 is smaller, has the back seat space and gets better gas milage. For my 110 miles, that will add up.

And I don't get anyone who says a car gets you A to B. The drive is most of the fun. I was so miserable in my wife's old Corolla, talk about soul sucking driving experience.

I bought my BMW new and I am a bit averse right buying used German cars but I have no qualms keeping a Lexus/Toyota or a Honda for 10 years. I kept my ‘93 Land Cruiser until 4 years ago. I’d have no qualms about picking up a 3-4 year old Lexus GX60 with 50k miles on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT